“Very good hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Thalwil, Switzerland
“Very good hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The location by the southbank in Melbourne is super for having a meal in the evening and walking around with many live bands and the crown entertainment complex is just around the corner. The hotel has a really good breakfast but make a reservation on sunday as it was very full. The Spa is also outstanding.
The room that I had overlooked the yarra river and that was nice with the city just behind that. Very comfortable decor, quite new.
The staff were extremely helpful and I would highly recommend the hotel for a business trip or a short stay in the city.

The train station across the river is a 5 minute walk away so the rest of the bay is easily accessible.

Room Tip: Get a high room with view on the river.

2,450 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I spent four weeks at the Langham in August-September and it was exactly what I was after - somewhere I was excited to come home to after long work days.

Pros

Most importantly, compared to other five-star hotels I looked at (Westin, Intercontinental, Crown, etc), the Langham provided significantly better value for money (ie. was cheaper). It also provided a bucketload of Qantas frequent flyer points for my four-week stay (around 20,000), which was a big bonus.

Once I arrived, the staff were great. When I was initially looking to book over the phone, they had been a bit officious and inflexible but, from the moment I checked in, they were very helpful. Due to the length of my stay, I was upgraded for part of the time - so that I could stay in the same room for most of my stay. I was also given free wifi, which made a big difference (given how expensive it would have been to buy).

The multi-level entrance makes a great use of limited space to still provide a real sense of grandeur.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable, with all the little touches of a five-star hotel. The default pillows weren't ideal but there are other options. The shower could've done with a little more water pressure. And the room lighting was a bit oddly configured. But these are really minor quibbles.

Cons

Not many. The gym equipment is a bit dated, the pool is too small for lap swimming and the food was astronomically priced so I never ate at the hotel.

All up, a big thumbs up. I can see why the Langham is #1 on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed August 2013
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Having to go to Melbourne for a week, and it being all work - no play, meant deciding on a hotel that was close enough to the office but far enough away that I could get out at night and detatch from the world of work.
The Langham did all of that.

The walk from the hotel into the city, is lovely, using the footbridge to cross the Yarra - just note that to get to the footbridge from Flinders St, you have to walk under the railway lines of Flinders St station and there are stairs at both ends, so hefting luggage can be somewhat tricky.

The rooms are spacious, with a great set up to be able to do work when you get back to your room, if you have to, however, I would warn that unless you purchase extra internet access, the standard is 200MB per day.
The staff are exceedingly helpful and are willing to assist in any way that they can.

As for places to eat, you are spoilt for choice, There is all of Southbank right there, or the Beligian Beer Cafe or even Melba's within the hotel itself.

Room Tip: ask for one with a view over the city, it's just lovely,
KL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

It's location couldnt have been better. Right on the happening riverbank therefore close to a whole host of restaurants and shops. Flinders railway station is just one footbridge away on the opposite bank. Trams are within five minutes walk. The shops and banks of Collins Street and Swanston Street are all close by too. Yet, it does not face the riverbank so once you enter the lobby, it's peaceful bliss.

Service is very efficient and friendly everywhere I go. The room was adequate in size. This is the only hotel where they provide 4 sets of bath towels, facecloths and hand towels in a king room. 2 sets of toiletries were provided. In my 4 nights stay I didn't have to ask for extras. On the first day I asked for 4 bottles of water and thereafter, not once did Amala, the lady who cleaned my room, forget.

The bed was very comfortable and I love the choice of pillows available. I had very good sleep.

I patronised Aria and Melba. Food was ok, but again, service was what made me went back. They really try to make you enjoy your meal and make you feel at home by remembering your name.

The drinks offered at the club lounge was very good. On offer we're usually 2 reds, 2 whites and a sparkling wine. But if you don't care for wines, the array of liquor and liqueurs was really impressive. More than 10 types await your pleasure. What more could you ask for? Except for better food perhaps? The variety was not too bad but I can't say the same for the quality of the food made available during cocktail hour of 5.30 to 8pm. I'd say it was a bit of a disappointment. But again, the service is to be applauded. Attentive as ever. Of the staff, Suzanne deserves special mention. Always ready with a cheerful word or a joke, she'd go round to the guests to speak to them. She makes you feel like you're in your neighbourhood pub. Friendly yet unintrusive, she knows when to leave you alone to read or work.

I enjoyed working out at the gym. Pretty well equipped with enough cardio and weight machines. I liked the TV attached to the cardio machines. Made long workouts a pleasure. I didn't use the heated pool but I'm sure those who enjoy swimming will like this all-weather pool.

Ok, after all the good things I've got to bring up the disappointing stuff. On the first morning, I was left to sleep in peace. On the second morning I had housekeeping ringing my doorbell at 8.30 only to tell me, "it's all right take your time"!!! On the last day, I had asked for check out at 2pm and it was agreed. But again at 8am I had housekeeping ringing the doorbell telling me that the room was supposed to be vacant. I don't think its housekeeping's fault. Somehow the management reporting system imay not have been very effective and housekeeping probably received wrong info. It did spoil what would have been a 5 Star stay, though.

Overall, I really like the hotel and would highly recommend it. But if you intend to sleep in a bit, be sure to remind housekeeping to come after 12 noon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear WCT from Kuala Lumpur
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We do like to ensure attention to detail during guests stays and I am so pleased that the staff you mention were able to do that. I read out your review to my daily meeting this morning highlighting your points. We will certainly pick up on the areas where we can improve.
I look forward to welcoming you back
brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I think it is fair to say that hotels is Australia generally fall behind standards elsewhere in the world. In my experience travelling around Australia, only Sydney and Melbourne offer truly high class hotels and the Langham is up amongst the best.
On checking in we were informed that we had been upgraded to a high floor, not sure why this is considered an upgrade but the room was spacious and well furnished with a large bathroom with separate shower. The bathroom soaps and shampoos were top quality as were the complimentary selection of coffees and teas available. The bed was superbly comfortable with top quality bedding and this made for a great nights sleep.
For dining I would also recommend the buffet, which for me is not a normal selection option as I prefer a la carte. However it is not cheap at over $60 but the quality is reflected in the price and it was enormously popular given the number of people dining there.
My only gripe is the cost of Internet, I think it was $40 for two days which compared to free wife normally available elsewhere in the world a scandalous extra, surely in this day and age they could do better.
Overall a great hotel in an excellent location.

Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing your experience. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and were able to try our award winning Melba restaurant and our excellent own brand Chuan Spa amenities in your bathroom. Regarding wifi, in fact standard 200MB download is $4.95 or free if you join our complimentary 1865 Loyalty scheme. Should you then decide to choose premium unlimited download there is a $10 charge, and for 3 appliances
I look forward to welcoming you back
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We spent a night here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We chose a River View Room (not much to see on the other side) which had a lovely view across to the city. It was everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel and when we returned from dinner we found our bed turned down and slippers placed beside it. The bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed a good nights sleep. The buffet breakfast was also very good as you would expect. The only thing to fault was that the receptionist on arrival did not draw our attention to the fact that there was a 20% discount voucher for dinner at the hotel restaurant in the folder with our room keys. We actually dined at the restaurant but as we didn't find the voucher till the following morning we missed out on using it - and our dinner bill was $200.

Room Tip: Choose a River View room - its worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I can confirm that your keys and a discount voucher for various services in the hotel are included in your key card pack. These change regularly. We do have an offer of 20% discount in Melba and on treatments in Chuan Spa for residents from Mondays to thursdays currently, but they are subject to change
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were very fortunate to stay at the Langham in May 2013. we had 3 nights there and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The rooms and the staff were second to none and we did get a good deal. So handy for everything, would stay again when next in Melbourne

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!