“Maybe the best in Australia...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
brisbane
“Maybe the best in Australia...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I think it is fair to say that hotels is Australia generally fall behind standards elsewhere in the world. In my experience travelling around Australia, only Sydney and Melbourne offer truly high class hotels and the Langham is up amongst the best.
On checking in we were informed that we had been upgraded to a high floor, not sure why this is considered an upgrade but the room was spacious and well furnished with a large bathroom with separate shower. The bathroom soaps and shampoos were top quality as were the complimentary selection of coffees and teas available. The bed was superbly comfortable with top quality bedding and this made for a great nights sleep.
For dining I would also recommend the buffet, which for me is not a normal selection option as I prefer a la carte. However it is not cheap at over $60 but the quality is reflected in the price and it was enormously popular given the number of people dining there.
My only gripe is the cost of Internet, I think it was $40 for two days which compared to free wife normally available elsewhere in the world a scandalous extra, surely in this day and age they could do better.
Overall a great hotel in an excellent location.

Stayed August 2013
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing your experience. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and were able to try our award winning Melba restaurant and our excellent own brand Chuan Spa amenities in your bathroom. Regarding wifi, in fact standard 200MB download is $4.95 or free if you join our complimentary 1865 Loyalty scheme. Should you then decide to choose premium unlimited download there is a $10 charge, and for 3 appliances

2,446 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We spent a night here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We chose a River View Room (not much to see on the other side) which had a lovely view across to the city. It was everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel and when we returned from dinner we found our bed turned down and slippers placed beside it. The bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed a good nights sleep. The buffet breakfast was also very good as you would expect. The only thing to fault was that the receptionist on arrival did not draw our attention to the fact that there was a 20% discount voucher for dinner at the hotel restaurant in the folder with our room keys. We actually dined at the restaurant but as we didn't find the voucher till the following morning we missed out on using it - and our dinner bill was $200.

Room Tip: Choose a River View room - its worth it.
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I can confirm that your keys and a discount voucher for various services in the hotel are included in your key card pack. These change regularly. We do have an offer of 20% discount in Melba and on treatments in Chuan Spa for residents from Mondays to thursdays currently, but they are subject to change
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were very fortunate to stay at the Langham in May 2013. we had 3 nights there and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The rooms and the staff were second to none and we did get a good deal. So handy for everything, would stay again when next in Melbourne

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I could not fault the service, Every staff member was lovely. I was particularly impressed with the breakfast staff at the Melba restaurant- especially Dee Dee and Paolo ( wonderful omelette). The only downside, was after checking into the room, there was a cleaning rag left on the bath tub and the rubbish from previous guest had not been emptied. I will admit, had it not been for the service over the next few days, I would have not consider returning to the hotel.

Dear Snowdome from Sydney
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review of your experience. I am very sorry regarding the housekeeping oversights on your arrival. I have contacted you directly for more details. I am pleased that we were able to redeem ourselves with the service during the rest of your stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel is second to none in Melbourne perfectly located within walking or tram distance to everything. Rooms are fantastic and well appointed. If you feel like a romantic night or weekend I highly recommend the Club Spa Suites. We have stayed in this hotel approximately 15 to 20 times over the past 12 months, and will continue to do so. It is worth paying that little extra money for the massive difference in quality and service. Highly recommend the Melba Restaurant Seafood Banquet. Do not eat to much in the Langham well appointed Club Lounge before hand though. You have been warned!! The Langham think of every little detail. Yes you pay for it but jeez they make you feel special. One last thing, Room Service is also second to none. Keep up the "Lang Ham Style"

Room Tip: Most River View Rooms have great views but who really cares what's out the window? Really the th...
Dear Guests from New Zealand
Thank you for your glowing review. I am delighted that you are a fan of Langham. I recommend that you try our property in Auckland too. I also like the photos that you have downloaded. The chocolate fountain in Melba is very popular with kids although as I see with you, for adults too! Perhaps though we'll leave the piano playing to our excellent pianist who accompnies our famous Langham Afternoon teas on the weekends.
I am gald you have some fun when staying at the Langham. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Lovely room great location. What a shame for me to be woken up by hammering at 8.00 am. I thought its not too bad, I can go back to sleep. That didn't happen. The noise became louder and there was even a hammer drill (very loud). I dialed reception and was told there was construction going on and my complaint would be followed up by the duty manager. The duty manager offered me a change of rooms and a late checkout ,he was at least trying to fix this. All was too late. When checking in i was asked if this was a special occasion ,yes i said, this is our first night away from our 4 kids in years. She smiled and booked us into a room that was known to the hotel to be close to the noisy constriction . All i wanted was to spoil my wife in a luxury hotel,dine in Melbas and SLEEP IN. Should i be happy with 2 out of 3. No.

Room Tip: Ask if there is any construction going on.
Dear Adam B
Thank you for staying with us.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by some noise in the morning. There was a day recently when there was drilling taking place on some balcony rooms. I am sorry that the noise happened before 10am that day. We took steps to prevent a recurrence. I have sent you a message directly so that we can make a note on your guest profile for your next stay.
I hope that I will be able to welcome you back
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Very handy to Southbank and an easy walk over the bridge to the CBD. Friendly staff, well appointed rooms (the only complaint, and its minor, is that the showers are very small) good amenities. We didn't go to the restaurant as there are just too many places in Melbourne to eat out, but we did have room service one night after a long day and it was lovely. Look for deals on The Lamgham's website as we got a better deal there than anywhere else online. Also ask for a room with a city view otherwise you're just looking at back streets and office towers!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Julie Lee
Thank you for staying with us at the Langham Melbourne
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I can confirm that it is always best to book directly with the hotel on our website or through our reservations office. You always get guaranteed Best Available Rate on the internet, a larger selection of room types and extra packages not available on on line travel agent sites.
Managing Director

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!