“Always 5 star” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Hobart Tas
“Always 5 star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just had 2 night stay at langham and from the time you enter the hotel is all class. Service is excellent. Hotel rooms comfortable without over the top modern. Melbas has fantastic buffet breakfast.
This is the place if you like elegant and classy

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
Penguin, Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

From the beginning to the end the 'old world service' received at the Langham was surprising and very enjoyable. From the porter when we first arrived, to check in, to the turn down service (always at a convenient time when we weren't in our room), to enquiries of the concierge, and check out and bag storage - the service was always extremely courteous and efficient. We felt like stars. The room was lovely and the bed and pillows were probably the most comfortable we've ever slept in. The salt water pool and spa were most enjoyable and the view over Flinders Street station amazing. And the location was perfect for shopping in the city, visiting the casino, watching footy at the MCG, and enjoying the many great restaurants near by. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at The Langham, Melbourne for our honeymoon. We cannot stop raving about this classy, elegant Hotel. Apon check-in we were told we had been upgraded (A very pleasent surprise), and all the staff were more than helpful and friendly(Nothing was to much), after our suitcases were bought up-stairs the staff member offered us a quick run-down of our room/room appliances and also a few tips on where to eat, etc, which we found very helpful, also on arrival into our room we were greeted with a delightful 'Congratulations' Note&Cake, which made our day :). Our view (The Grand River View Room) was just Perfect..Looking over the Yarra. Great location walking distance to most things, not to mention a 2min. walk takes you to all the great night life and views along the Yarra. We CANT wait for our next trip to the LANGHAM.

Room Tip: The Grand River view Room has a sepurb view over-looking the Yarra.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We recently stayed at The Langham for one night to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. This was out third stay at the hotel (the first being our wedding night and second was our first wedding anniversary). We have loved staying here in the past and were very much looking forward to staying there again. I was however a little disappointed at the beginning of our stay there.
There was only one porter when we drove in, so we had to wait for our bags to be removed etc because he was busy with another car. I am used to doors being opened for us, bags taken away....very effortless for us, however this was not the case on this occasion.
At check-in, one of the young girls assisting us spoke with a heavy accent, so it was difficult to understand her at times. We had booked a Wish Upon A Star package which included late check out (2pm). After she advised us that check out time was 12pm, I told her we booked a deal that allowed late check out. She proceeded to tell us that this is not guaranteed because the hotel was fully booked and she would need to confirm if this was approved. She said she would send us a message to our TV in the room......I was not impressed. If I wanted to check out at 12pm, I wouldn't have booked this package. It's almost like having someone book a corner king room and then down grading them to a standard room because the hotel is fully booked....Anyway, the message to the TV never came, so I had to discuss this again with the check-in desk....very annoying and not something I would expect from this hotel.
She also repeatedly said "seeing as this is your first time to the hotel"....we had stayed there twice before! Surely there is some kind of note on the computer for returning guests? We didn't bother to correct her because it probably didn't matter anyway.
We stayed in a standard king room....facing the Travelodge. Not the best view at all. I was disappointed considering we have stayed there in the past on two occasions and I felt as if we were stashed in the corner with a crappy view...it's almost as if none of that mattered. The room was amazing as usual. The bed and pillows are the best by far.
None the less, the rest of the hotel and our experience there was fantastic. The buffet dinner and breakfast are to die for. So much choice and everything is fresh. The breakfast juices were really nice and a huge variety.
I'm unsure if we will return next year for our anniversary but The Langham will always be my favourite hotel....

Room Tip: You need to pay extra to get a good view from your room. The only time we've had a great view is...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is lovely to learn that you returned to the Langham for your 2nd anniversary and have enjoyed dining in Melba restaurant.

We have processes in place to recognise repeat guests and I apologise that this did not happen. We have contacted you directly to learn the details of your stay to ensure that we do not make that mistake on your next anniversary visit.

I want to assure you of our continued commitment to delivering genuine enchanting service with poise. I look forward to welcoming you back

Ben Sington
Managing Director
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Understated luxury, helpful staff and a rockin' buffet breakfast made for a wonderful Mothers day weekend away with my daughters. Pity the pool was out of action, the only downside I can think of but I did get an email warning me beforehand and we could have used a neighbouring hotel pool if we could have been bothered to leave the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The location, check. The service, check. The dinner, check. The breakfast, check. The spa, check. This hotel exudes everything you want in a historical contemporary hotel. The Langham Melbourne blends the old and new, effortlessly. I recently stayed a Saturday night with my wife and my 18 month old daughter for Mother's Day. We booked a Grand river view corner room (worth it for the extra space with a young child). The view from the room was magnificent, looking right over the yarra river and flinders street station (can you get any more "Melbourne", I don't think so). The turndown service, fantastic, we booked the teddy bear package, so we received "Kingston" the teddy bear upon turndown along with 4 beautiful chocolates. It went down well with the champers. We also booked in for the buffet dinner at "Melba". I have been here three times now, and this restaurant never disappoints. It's very busy, but very yum. Which country would you like to eat in tonight? No need to purchase a flight, just go to Melba. India, Japan, Italy, China and an excellent carvery. It's all there for you. My wife was booked into the Chuan Spa on the Sunday morning, she had harmony 60 minute all body massage. The facilities were great, the staff excellent. She was very impressed. Overall, this hotel keeps us coming back time and time again. It's a timeless classic, right in the heart of Melbourne. 10/10.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the classic room a number of times before, we decided to upgrade to a corner room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This review covers three stays: one overnight stay in late March in a Club Room, and two separate overnight stays in early April in Corner Spa Suites.

I must admit I have come to love the Langham - friendly service, comfortable rooms, and lots of nice touches that make staying a pleasure. Price is also quite reasonable for what you get, so everything quite favourable.

The Club Lounge is also quite nice, with friendly staff, and has some great views to encourage you to linger.

About the only disappointing moment I had over these three stays was once, when arriving at the hotel and seeking to valet the car, the liveried doorman (who I hadn't seen before) was carrying on a conversation with a couple in the driveway - noticed me pulling up, but then turned his back to me and carried on his conversation. This is not a typical experience, and I was attended to by one of bell staff (who noticed I was waiting) after a couple of minutes, but an oddity still the same.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!