“The Langham serves up what Melbourne is all about” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“The Langham serves up what Melbourne is all about”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The location, check. The service, check. The dinner, check. The breakfast, check. The spa, check. This hotel exudes everything you want in a historical contemporary hotel. The Langham Melbourne blends the old and new, effortlessly. I recently stayed a Saturday night with my wife and my 18 month old daughter for Mother's Day. We booked a Grand river view corner room (worth it for the extra space with a young child). The view from the room was magnificent, looking right over the yarra river and flinders street station (can you get any more "Melbourne", I don't think so). The turndown service, fantastic, we booked the teddy bear package, so we received "Kingston" the teddy bear upon turndown along with 4 beautiful chocolates. It went down well with the champers. We also booked in for the buffet dinner at "Melba". I have been here three times now, and this restaurant never disappoints. It's very busy, but very yum. Which country would you like to eat in tonight? No need to purchase a flight, just go to Melba. India, Japan, Italy, China and an excellent carvery. It's all there for you. My wife was booked into the Chuan Spa on the Sunday morning, she had harmony 60 minute all body massage. The facilities were great, the staff excellent. She was very impressed. Overall, this hotel keeps us coming back time and time again. It's a timeless classic, right in the heart of Melbourne. 10/10.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the classic room a number of times before, we decided to upgrade to a corner room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This review covers three stays: one overnight stay in late March in a Club Room, and two separate overnight stays in early April in Corner Spa Suites.

I must admit I have come to love the Langham - friendly service, comfortable rooms, and lots of nice touches that make staying a pleasure. Price is also quite reasonable for what you get, so everything quite favourable.

The Club Lounge is also quite nice, with friendly staff, and has some great views to encourage you to linger.

About the only disappointing moment I had over these three stays was once, when arriving at the hotel and seeking to valet the car, the liveried doorman (who I hadn't seen before) was carrying on a conversation with a couple in the driveway - noticed me pulling up, but then turned his back to me and carried on his conversation. This is not a typical experience, and I was attended to by one of bell staff (who noticed I was waiting) after a couple of minutes, but an oddity still the same.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Langham and loved every minute of it. Friendly staff, beautifully appointed rooms and first class views made the stay very memorable. The buffet breakfast was delicious. Only one small complaint that a request for milk to make a coffee in our room took about 45 mins to arrive. The location is great with everything in walking distance. Perfect!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Langham is a very well maintained and comfortable hotel - the room I stayed in was modern, clean and well maintained as well as being a nice size. The staff were excellent and very friendly. The hotel is based in the center of Melbourne, a 15 minute leisurely walk along the Yarra river to the Melbourne Cricket Ground and the Rod Laver tennis arena. The shopping areas are also walkable.

The fitness center could do with some new elliptical machines and generally a little bit of updating. However the rest of the hotel is excellent - overall this has to rank as a very good choice for a Melbourne stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Auckland,New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Friendly staff, fabulous food, really comfortable bed, deep bath, perfect location. I could go on....
They have made mistakes in my bill each time I stayed there, but there was never any trouble after I pointed out the mistake. My favourite hotel anywhere. They do charge you for WiFi access, which seems incredibly old-fashioned.

Room Tip: Some rooms have better views, but all are comfortable .
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Fantastic services and lovely experience
Beautiful, kind and down to earth staff
Rooms were well appointed and having the bed turned down - Gold!
Easy to access location and valet parking as part of the package made it even easier
Highly recommend the hotel for so many reasons can't start to list!
Definitely staying there again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

West Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from The Langham in Melbourne, Australia. Our car was greeted by the Hotel and we were taken directly to our room. It was one of the nicest hotel welcomes we have ever experienced, and we have had the pleasure of staying at several of the world's finest hotels. Unfortunately our experience went from surprisingly wonderful to average quite quickly.

The location is excellent. The room was nice, although wi-fi was not included and cost $4.95 for every 24 hours. The hotel staff, for the most part, were friendly. My biggest disappointment is the result of a constant struggle over where our son could park his bicycle during his visits to us.

The hotel has two bike racks installed out front, however, these can only be used for the bicycles that the hotel rents. Over our ten day stay, we saw three bicycles in the racks; the racks had at least four slots each. Upon arrival at the hotel, our son was told you can't put your bike there, or there, or there. One time he locked his bike to the flagpole and security added their own lock. Upon my inquiry, I was told it was disrespectful. I also inquired as to where a guest of the hotel could secure their bike and was repeatedly asked if 'he' was staying at the hotel. Really? The one option I was given was for him to have his bike put in storage during his visits to us.

As a result, the overall experience was disappointing and I would not necessarily stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your review and for staying with us.

We are delighted to hear you received a grand welcome to the Langham Melbourne. With regard to guest bicycle storage, when requested we always offer safe storage inside the hotel for security and guest reassurance. So much better than having to leave your valuable bicycle locked up outside. This was offered whenever requested on this occasion. In respect to all our patrons we do not allow the securing of bicycles to the hotel property or the national flag flagpoles. I am delighted to confirm that we have recently added Langham pink bicycles and bicycle helmets for residents of the hotel to hire.

We do charge a nominal fee for internet however we offer complimentary internet to all guests who join our complimentary 1865 Loyalty Programme. We therefore highly recommend you joining 1865 and look forward to welcoming you back to the Langham in the near future.

Ben Sington
Managing Director

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!