“The nicest of welcomes and then . . . .” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“The nicest of welcomes and then . . . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from The Langham in Melbourne, Australia. Our car was greeted by the Hotel and we were taken directly to our room. It was one of the nicest hotel welcomes we have ever experienced, and we have had the pleasure of staying at several of the world's finest hotels. Unfortunately our experience went from surprisingly wonderful to average quite quickly.

The location is excellent. The room was nice, although wi-fi was not included and cost $4.95 for every 24 hours. The hotel staff, for the most part, were friendly. My biggest disappointment is the result of a constant struggle over where our son could park his bicycle during his visits to us.

The hotel has two bike racks installed out front, however, these can only be used for the bicycles that the hotel rents. Over our ten day stay, we saw three bicycles in the racks; the racks had at least four slots each. Upon arrival at the hotel, our son was told you can't put your bike there, or there, or there. One time he locked his bike to the flagpole and security added their own lock. Upon my inquiry, I was told it was disrespectful. I also inquired as to where a guest of the hotel could secure their bike and was repeatedly asked if 'he' was staying at the hotel. Really? The one option I was given was for him to have his bike put in storage during his visits to us.

As a result, the overall experience was disappointing and I would not necessarily stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your review and for staying with us.

We are delighted to hear you received a grand welcome to the Langham Melbourne. With regard to guest bicycle storage, when requested we always offer safe storage inside the hotel for security and guest reassurance. So much better than having to leave your valuable bicycle locked up outside. This was offered whenever requested on this occasion. In respect to all our patrons we do not allow the securing of bicycles to the hotel property or the national flag flagpoles. I am delighted to confirm that we have recently added Langham pink bicycles and bicycle helmets for residents of the hotel to hire.

We do charge a nominal fee for internet however we offer complimentary internet to all guests who join our complimentary 1865 Loyalty Programme. We therefore highly recommend you joining 1865 and look forward to welcoming you back to the Langham in the near future.

Ben Sington
Managing Director

2,424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

An absolute must for the professional or any couple wanting to create a memorable experience, staff and service are a delight, Perfect night for a special birthday.

Within walking distance to crown and southbank, we enjoyed the use of the spa facility.
The Langham is one of Melbournes most prestigious and luxurious hotels.
The decor is elegant, classy and has a wow factor.

If you are looking for a special night in town, I recommend including the Langham in your day/night plannng.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I recently stayed at the Langham and not really knowing what to expect when i was embarking to to the hotel only to find out at the end of my stay i would be dispaointed. The Hotel is outdated and below par service. Crown is alot better. I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to any of my friends. There is so much to improve here, including an updated makeover asap!

Room Tip: don't order room service at all its a waste of time and money and there is so many better restau...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was my fourth stay at the Langham Melbourne and they have consistently managed to go beyond my expectations every stay. The service is genuine, the rooms decadent and the location is second to none. Can't wait for my fifth visit to Melbourne and my fifth visit to the Langham too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Just across the footbridge and you are at Flinders Street and the station. Five minutes and you are in the centre of the shopping or hopping on this great Melbourne tram system
We had a room looking over the river. Ticked the boxes for me. Quiet, both from outside and aircon. Very comfortable bed with extra feather pillows for the bad back. Spacious, separate shower, toilet and bath.
Breakfast is in a quiet elegant setting. Good wholesome food. I wish there was more leaning towards the Asian.
I can't imagine a better setup for a visitor than this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fremantle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in the whole world....beautiful room and the most sensational beds I've ever slept in! Service was outstanding and cleanliness throughout the whole hotel was immaculate. We loved the ride in the pink London cab into the city centre too! Would absolutely stay there again..... It's on the pricey side but is worth every cent. I love pink and all the bathroom treats etc were pink so I was in heaven. Even had a pink chocolate fountain at breakfast on the last day - what else can a girl ask for?!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We've just had a few nights at this hotel - we had stayed here before so knew it was very nice. We love the beautiful comfortable beds & spacious rooms, the room service breakfast & the Melba buffet breakfast (FANTASTIC), the standard of the cocktails, bar snacks & meals, the environment of the hotel public areas which are most attractive.

However some issues;
1. Upon arrival the valet service staff couldn't understand our name for the valet ticket so I gave him my Langham Voyager card with my name on it - he still couldn't work out the name & asked me what the card was! Surely Langham staff should recognise their own loyalty cards...? The rest of the valet service was EXCELLENT (no waiting) as it should be for AU$50 per day.

2. At check-in we were advised that the pool was out of service (for a refurb) - when I asked why we hadn't been advised upon booking the excuse was 'oh you should have been' - we were very annoyed at this as we would have booked another Melbourne hotel to have the pool as part of what we enjoy on hols is swimming. We received an email saying the pool was out of action at 7pm that evening AFTER we checked in which is no use at all. The staff explained we could go to Quay West & use their pool - some distance away in cooller weather & we couldn't be bothered traipsing clothes, towels etc. over there. There was also a letter from the hotels GM the next day in the room regarding the pool - again TOO LATE.

3. No room upgarde - usually as a Voyager we get a room upgrade & given we were there for a few nights it would have been nice. We booked a 'Grand River View' & got that (fantastic view of the city) but the room was looking 'tired' (wooden furniture looking tired, drawers not opening, carpet a bit worn, bathroom fairly dated w tiny wee plastic bath, shower head was completely useless & should be replaced - NOT up to 5 Star expectations spraying water everyhwere except on you!). Room seemed like its overdue for a refurb itself.

4. No welcome gift of sparkling water & fruit which we usually get in Auckland along with a beautiful plate of chocolates (& in London also fresh flowers) - just a little box of 4 very ordinary chocolates - not sure what happened but eventually a waiter turnd up with some fruit & sparkling water.

5. Although signalled the waiter in the bar three times & he looked blankly at our table we had to go up to the bar to order food & drink - another night we had a young female waiter & she was EXCELLENT.

Overall The Langham is our preferred as we love the location looking over the river into the city & the Southbank environment for wandering & meals - we've also stayed InterContinental & Westin right in the city & they are also excellent

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room on a higher level to make the most of the gorgeous views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!