“Everything a First Class Hotel Should Be” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
Orbitz.com Travelocity
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #2 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Boston USA
“Everything a First Class Hotel Should Be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Langham while visiting friends and we could not have been happier. From the time we arrived until our departure we received prompt and courteous service. We had a large comfortable room with a great view of the Melbourne skyline. The reaction to any request was so fast that it was if they had people personally assigned to our room. We particularly enjoyed the Aria bar where they had a large selection of beverages and light meals. Try the Beef Skewers with Béarnaise Sauce. The spa, pool and ninth floor sun deck were all excellent. As the heading says, The Langham is everything a first class hotel should be.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

2,246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband, baby and I needed an escape from Sydney and the Langham was a true oasis for us.

We stayed in a Club River Corner room. It was not huge but decent enough. The bed was ok, but lumpy in the middle where it appears the bases were joined. The toiletries were very good. The rooms were quiet and the view was first class.

The afternoon tea was splendid as was the view in the Club Lounge. Scones, chocolate sauce and fresh strawberries was a daily delight. Our baby dined on handfuls of strawberries and was well looked after by the staff. On one occasion the baby was unwell, and we were quite worried about her. I was promptly advised of the nearest pharmacy and GP by the lounge staff. They also followed up on us the next day.

In addition, the evening drinks and breakfast was good in the club lounge. Not over the top but you can always go downstairs to Melba's for a fancy Buffett. I believe there is a chocolate fountain at breakfast!

Overall, I commend the staff. The customer service of everyone in the lounge was excellent. They all seemed to actually like their jobs. The spa/pool staff were friendly and I liked the tour of the facilities.

I would stay at The Langham Melbourne again.

• Stayed April 2013
Vienna, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed at the Langham in Melbourne for 2 nights week before last for business and I wish I had had much more time there. What a magnificent property. Although you to have love the color pink (their signature color) to really fall in love. The property is deceiving - doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it is truly divine. The lobby is grand and makes you say "oooooo" the moment you walk in the door. The lobby bar is cute and romantic in the evening, with live music on certain nights. The restaurant is expensive but has great views and a fabulous buffet if you are in the mood for a wide range of choices. The rooms are great -- spacious, comfortable with good beds and pillows. The one problem is the closet - which is the smallest closet I have ever seen. About 1/3 size of a normal closet and the safe was on the floor. I almost had to get on my stomach to use it. That is inconvenient. The bathroom is small, but adequate and well stocked with every sort of supply you could possibly need. I found it to be incredibly comfortable. The pool is really beautiful with a roof top patio that has one of the most beautiful views in Melbourne. I could have spent an entire day/evening up there. Don't miss that, even if you just go there for a peak. And the view looks out on one of the hotel's best features which is its location right at the river side. We had brilliant weather so being able to walk around the corner and be right on the river was just terrific. The staff are very friendly and mostly very helpful. All in all, I will look for an opportunity to go back to this hotel, this time for fun, and to stay a while. I highly recommend the Langham in Melbourne and will look for their other properties.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Coffs Harbour, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a River View room which was well appointed with loads of old world charm. It also had fantastic views of the Flinders St Railway Station/Federation Square and of course the Yarra. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were the best! Only downside was the duvet......................a bit too hot for us and no blanket in the wardrobe. On reflection I should have asked for one from housekeeping, which I'm sure wouldn't have been a problem.
The staff were very friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble.
We especially enjoyed the Langham Club priviliges, which came as an additional cost to our room. This gave us complementary tea and pastries, pre dinner drinks, canapes etc Nice to escape the hustle and bustle of the busy city.
I can highly recommend the Tiffin High Tea which is served in the Aria Bar. Real indulgence! Also enjoyed the Harmony Massage which is available at the Chuan Spa. Very zen!
The central location of The Langham is fantastic. Close to everything Melbourne has to offer ie cafes, restaurants, city shopping, Etihad Stadium etc etc.
Top Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Having researched on TA, I initially thought I made the right decision to book this hotel. While a substantial number of reviewers from Australia highly regarded this property as the number 1 hotel in town, I could not get the experience to figure out why. It turned out Melbourne's Langham Hotel failed my expectations. I hope this was not because of different treatment to non-Australians.
Well before the stay, I emailed the hotel to request for a room with two separate beds. Prompt reply was received from the hotel staff confirming the assignment of my requested bed type.
On arriving at the hotel in the evening, I was given a king bed room as if nobody cared about my advanced request and their promised availability. The front desk staff told us all other rooms were full so there was nothing they can do about it. The only thing I could do was to talk to the duty manager the next day if I wanted to. Besides, nobody offered to help me with the luggage. Nor my hotel elite guest privilege honored for a room upgrade.
The next day, I talked to the duty manager who believed this situation was not uncommon. He said he worked with other big-name hotels before and these things happened a lot all the time in the industry. Strangely, I used to visit many places in the world but I had never encountered this before for a top-notch hotel. He offered me free internet as a compensation but that was already included in my hotel elite guest privilege. Obviously, he took no notice to my elite guest status with the Langham brand to start with.
People being used to Australian hotels might easily feel satisfied with this hotel. People being used to hotels in Asian standard might have a different opinion. To me, the service I received created an unprofessional image for the hotel. I believe the management staff would have a very educational opportunity if they come to learn from what their counterparts do for the guests in the Langham, Hong Kong. Ironically, the Langham Hospitality Group is based in Hong Kong and this Melbourne hotel is not getting enough supervision.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ManagementMelbourne, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for the time and effort in giving us this feedback in regards to your most recent stay with us. Whilst we cannot guarantee all requests made after the booking, we do try to accommodate these requests the best way we can. However, unfortunately we were fully booked on this occasion and couldn't accommodate your request for a twin room. We express our disappointment in not acknowledging that you were a guest from our 1865 membership program and will take corrective action on your future stays. We are able to share this feedback to our sister hotels in Asia as well as the rest of the world so that you are fully recognised on your next visit to a Langham Hotel. We pride ourselves on delivering genuine service with poise and we want to assure you of our commitment to delivering a top class hotel.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The best bed with the most comfortable pillows EVER. The bathroom amenities were the best I have ever experienced in any hotel anywhere. The house keeping staff seemed to anticipate what you were using and supplied you with appropriate supplies ... noticing I wanted to use my own conditioner but was happy to use Shampoo, provided me with additional Shampoo but removed the conditioner. Being supplied with powder, nail care, comb ... bliss. Oh and the towels - large large bath sheets that were super soft. Quality of the room was top notch - very clean, sparkling in fact. All staff that I came into contact with showed exceptional customer service ... from the door man telling me it would be quicker to walk somewhere rather than pay and wait for a taxi, to the turn down service who even though I declined at the door, provided me with the weather update for the following day and my complimentary water.

My only issues and they were fairly minor, when ordering dinner inroom, the chips that accompanied two of the meals were overly salty, almost inedible, and when I ordered scrambled eggs for breakfast they were overcooked. I also had breakfast in Melba Restaurant

The gym was small but had a wide variety of equipment to use, and was very clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and are delighted that you had a blissful night's sleep. Our pillows and indulgent bedding can be ordered online or direct from our in house store Flavours of Langham located on the podium level. We were pleased to read that our staff were able to anticipate your needs and will pass this wonderful feedback onto our Housekeeping Manager and his staff. I apologise that the room service experience was disappointing. Your feedback will be shared with our Executive Chef. We do hope that you will try our hotel again.
Anakie, Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

As a regular opera attende to the Melbourne State theatre, the location of the Langham, Melbourne is a bonus to the excellent facilities and service of the hotel and even when not at the opera, I always stay there for the ease of travel to most things in Melbourne and surrounds. My home is in country Victoria and I travel by country train for some time to reach Melbourne ...it is always nice to arrive at the Langham and receive a warm welcome...and a scrumptious afternoon tea..!!!Diane

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!