“The first stay becomes the last stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Hong Kong, China
“The first stay becomes the last stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Having researched on TA, I initially thought I made the right decision to book this hotel. While a substantial number of reviewers from Australia highly regarded this property as the number 1 hotel in town, I could not get the experience to figure out why. It turned out Melbourne's Langham Hotel failed my expectations. I hope this was not because of different treatment to non-Australians.
Well before the stay, I emailed the hotel to request for a room with two separate beds. Prompt reply was received from the hotel staff confirming the assignment of my requested bed type.
On arriving at the hotel in the evening, I was given a king bed room as if nobody cared about my advanced request and their promised availability. The front desk staff told us all other rooms were full so there was nothing they can do about it. The only thing I could do was to talk to the duty manager the next day if I wanted to. Besides, nobody offered to help me with the luggage. Nor my hotel elite guest privilege honored for a room upgrade.
The next day, I talked to the duty manager who believed this situation was not uncommon. He said he worked with other big-name hotels before and these things happened a lot all the time in the industry. Strangely, I used to visit many places in the world but I had never encountered this before for a top-notch hotel. He offered me free internet as a compensation but that was already included in my hotel elite guest privilege. Obviously, he took no notice to my elite guest status with the Langham brand to start with.
People being used to Australian hotels might easily feel satisfied with this hotel. People being used to hotels in Asian standard might have a different opinion. To me, the service I received created an unprofessional image for the hotel. I believe the management staff would have a very educational opportunity if they come to learn from what their counterparts do for the guests in the Langham, Hong Kong. Ironically, the Langham Hospitality Group is based in Hong Kong and this Melbourne hotel is not getting enough supervision.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ManagementMelbourne, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for the time and effort in giving us this feedback in regards to your most recent stay with us. Whilst we cannot guarantee all requests made after the booking, we do try to accommodate these requests the best way we can. However, unfortunately we were fully booked on this occasion and couldn't accommodate your request for a twin room. We express our disappointment in not acknowledging that you were a guest from our 1865 membership program and will take corrective action on your future stays. We are able to share this feedback to our sister hotels in Asia as well as the rest of the world so that you are fully recognised on your next visit to a Langham Hotel. We pride ourselves on delivering genuine service with poise and we want to assure you of our commitment to delivering a top class hotel.

2,510 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The best bed with the most comfortable pillows EVER. The bathroom amenities were the best I have ever experienced in any hotel anywhere. The house keeping staff seemed to anticipate what you were using and supplied you with appropriate supplies ... noticing I wanted to use my own conditioner but was happy to use Shampoo, provided me with additional Shampoo but removed the conditioner. Being supplied with powder, nail care, comb ... bliss. Oh and the towels - large large bath sheets that were super soft. Quality of the room was top notch - very clean, sparkling in fact. All staff that I came into contact with showed exceptional customer service ... from the door man telling me it would be quicker to walk somewhere rather than pay and wait for a taxi, to the turn down service who even though I declined at the door, provided me with the weather update for the following day and my complimentary water.

My only issues and they were fairly minor, when ordering dinner inroom, the chips that accompanied two of the meals were overly salty, almost inedible, and when I ordered scrambled eggs for breakfast they were overcooked. I also had breakfast in Melba Restaurant

The gym was small but had a wide variety of equipment to use, and was very clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and are delighted that you had a blissful night's sleep. Our pillows and indulgent bedding can be ordered online or direct from our in house store Flavours of Langham located on the podium level. We were pleased to read that our staff were able to anticipate your needs and will pass this wonderful feedback onto our Housekeeping Manager and his staff. I apologise that the room service experience was disappointing. Your feedback will be shared with our Executive Chef. We do hope that you will try our hotel again.
Anakie, Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

As a regular opera attende to the Melbourne State theatre, the location of the Langham, Melbourne is a bonus to the excellent facilities and service of the hotel and even when not at the opera, I always stay there for the ease of travel to most things in Melbourne and surrounds. My home is in country Victoria and I travel by country train for some time to reach Melbourne ...it is always nice to arrive at the Langham and receive a warm welcome...and a scrumptious afternoon tea..!!!Diane

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We recently celebrated our Wedding Anniversary at the Langham Hotel Melbourne. This Hotel has so much to offer. The staff went out of their way to assist us and to our surprise upon checkin we received an upgrade to a River Room and had a divine chocolate cake delivered to our room as well as at dinner. Highly recommend this Hotel, with the only drawback being the pool area which is in need of updating. But I believe this is being carried out in late April/May 2013.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I spoke to Andrew at Langham Melbourne from reservations on 16/04. I was after an industry rate but they don't offer them on the night that I wanted to stay. Still he was very informative and very easy to speak to. He was very sincere..true gem! I have stayed at the Langham before and it's fantastic! It's the best 5 star hotel in the whole of Melbourne and their restaurant serves up an amazing buffet. I will be sure to return as it's so luxurious and great service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Well thank you to The Langham Hotel AGAIN.....you never let us down.

We had a Club Terrace Room. Just luscious. Love everything about it. The view, the ambience, the overall quality of everything in the room and the hotel in general. That bed and those pillows (never want to get out of bed). 5 Star all around.

We have made The Langham "our special place".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel is in a wonderful location - Southbank - relatively quiet location for an inner city hotel - close to everything, amazing restaurants, 1 min walk to the cafe laneways across the yarra, away from the screaching trams and trafffice noise.
The public areas in the hotel arrival are beautiful and make you feel special instantly. The staff working at the hotel from the friendly cleaners to the reception and Club Lounge are very attentive and more importantly happy and friendly.
The rooms are a little dated and underwhelming compared to many high end hotels - my room had chipped wooden furniture, old wallpaper, silicon patching in the shower, our King bed had a definite lump in the middle where the 2 single bases were joined, and the bedhead looked very old world England rather than hip happening Melbourne, however the beautiful floor to ceiling marble in the bathroom was lovely. The dimmers on lights definitely add ambience to the room and the matress and pillows are comfy. If you stay at this hotel, you must stay at the Club levels. The extra cost gave us access to instant service, Chandon champers on tap, amazing nibblies, breakfast and afternoon tea and is a great escape from the hussle and bustle of a busy day. This made our trip - along with a visit to the South Melbourne markets and Claredon Street designer shops and cafe and of course the laneways of Melbourne CBD.

Room Tip: Club Level River view beautiful view of city and river.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We are delighted that you found our location accessible to the wonderful restaurants and shops that Melbourne does offer and that you were made to feel special by the classic elegance that the hotel does have. We are pleased that you found the staff were attentive, happy and friendly and you also enjoyed your Club lounge experience. This is a fantastic add on to enhance the Langham experience and can always be made when you book directly with the hotel.

As a five star hotel we are constantly maintaining our product and we will correct the shortcomings raised in this review. However, I would like to advise you that as a brand we intend to look classically English. Our brand name is after the Langham London which opened as a 5 star hotel in 1865. The club room that you were in has been redecorated with rich fabrics and materials including European wallpaper with reed motifs to reflect the Yarra river which meanders past the hotel below - classic, elegant and luxurious, a charming timeless haven but with today’s amenities. It is what differentiates Langham hotels around the world.

We want to assure you of our commitment to delivering a top class hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Ben Sington
Managing Director

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!