“Not bad, but not spectacular” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide
“Not bad, but not spectacular”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding where the reception was held in the Langham. This made things very convenient. It also has a great location across the footbridge to the CBD and close to Southbank precinct restaurants and bars. The staff were friendly enough but did not go out of their way like at other places I have stayed.
The room I stayed in was a river view. The view was nice and the room clean. Very classic style with a bit of grand old world charm. However, I must say the rooms are rather small. I have stayed in other 5 star hotels in Melbourne, and these felt the most cramped and smallest. Yes, the bathroom was marble, but with a pokey and dark shower and just a standard sized bathtub. If you're going to do that, I feel it's better to have just a shower that is of a good size rather than trying to include both. The bathroom amenities were plentiful, but again, were not of great quality. Maybe I've been spoilt and have overseas places in mind which i've visited, but even comparing to other places in Melbourne, I would not place this hotel above them. I would rather stay at the Park Hyatt or Crown Metropol again before I stay here.
I also included buffet breakfast daily with my booking at an extra $40/night. It certainly is not worth that. It was nothing spectacular. At a place like this, I would expect touches like house made baked beans and hash browns. These seemed to be straight from the can or packet!
Overall not bad, but I probably wouldn't waste my money to stay here again!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
ManagementMelbourne, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We appreciate and thank you for reviewing our hotel and are pleased that you enjoyed the location as it is accessible to the CBD, Flinders St Station and Federation Square. For a future stay of indulgence we can recommend for you to stay in one of our elegant Club Spa suite's which features seperate bedroom and living areas, with a design that capitalises on the city river views from each room, includes separate walk-in dressing room, large double vanity marble bathroom, with a luxurious two-person spa and shower. Breakfast is a special meal of the day and very popular in our Melba restaurant with the view of the city and extensive food selection available at the published price. As a resident, for best value, we would recommend a room package including breakfast such as our Perfectly Langham, bookable directly with the hotel through our reservations office or on our website. We do hope that you will try our hotel again.

2,454 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I regularly travel to Melbourne for business and have tried many of the hotels. The Langham is my favorite place to stay. Great rooms with helpful staff and a great room service menu with tasty lighter/healthy options on it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here one night over Easter weekend. We had a king room with a view to the river.

The location is amazing - you are right on Southbank and so close to the city and shopping.

The staff were fantastic, so friendly and helpful. The bed was so comfy it wax the best nights sleep I had had in ages.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Great, great, great. Can't fault it. Everything terrific. Excellent staff who are very helpful and friendly. Great food in restaurant and room service. Very clean and everything works in the rooms. I could not fault this hotel. It is not the cheapest place, but you get what you pay for, and Langham really does shine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had a great stay, very comfortable rooms the quality you would expect of a true five star hotel. The best part of the stay was the breakfast the choice was great and the quality of the food amazing. The price tag for breakfast was high but worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Geilo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Situated in the middle of the city, close by to almost anything, this is the perfect place to stay in Melbourne. Comfortable rooms with a luxurious feeling to it, helpful staff, polite and efficient maids and excellent food in all varieties in the buffet. The concierge gave us good information about the area whenever needed.

We did ask the guestrelations if there were any possibilities of a later checkout as our flight wouldn`t depart until midnight. They offered us a pretty lousy deal. We were told that we could stay four or five hours extra in the room for the cost of an entire extra night.. We decided not to stay as offered, as it would be very expensive hours... So, if you do have a late flight as we did, be sure to book in the extra hours needed in advance.

As we decided to check out they offered to store our luggage for us and gave us the opportunity to use the spa until late. We got access the facilities, and got to shower and change before leaving for the airport. Overall, we had a good experience at the Langham and would be happy to come back for another visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed at the Langham with my husband for our wedding anniversary. I read the reviews on TA and decided it was the place for us. It did not disappoint. The staff were exceptionally helpful, the hotel itself is beautiful, the location couldn't be better and the bed was heavenly. This hotel deserves its position as number one on TA. I would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!