“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Oregon
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Great location and walking access, to downtown Melbourne, Federation Square, National Art Gallery, a stroll or jog along the Yarra river... You name it! I chose this hotel for it's close proximity to Flinders Street Station ( a 5 minute walk across the bridge) as I was traveling on by train. Nice room, comfy bed and very pleasant staff. However, I did have to point out a serious problem with the sink faucet coming apart, a mildewed shower, and the fact that I had a cold shower in the morning, due to hot water running out. I also cannot believe that hotels still try to gouge you for internment service. Other than these gripes, I would probably consider staying there again, purely for the location.

Room Tip: The rooms with a river view are worth it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
We are delighted one of your many highlights while staying with us was of our courteous and most pleasant staff. We are pleased you found the views from your room captivating and our location to be just the thing you needed during your stay with us. Please accept our apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience with the bathroom facilities. Your feedback has been forwarded to our Engineering department to immediately address the issues. For your information on your next visit if you join our 1865 Club (no fee) you will receive complimentary internet during your stay. You can be assured that your future visits will be seamless and most memorable.
Ben Sington
Managing Director

2,414 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We love the Langham Hotel, the staff are always friendly and helpful. This was our sixth stay and we are always happy with our allotted room. Great breakfast; how nice to have you poached eggs cooked in front of you and served on a warm plate. The location is perfect for us as it is so close to shops, restaurants and wonderful Melbourne sites. We will be spending our next Melbourne getaway here.

Room Tip: The River rooms are the best.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Very nice hotel. Great room. A bit sterile...feels a bit Sheraton-like. Great pool area with marvelous view. And the best part is Peter the concierge. Great gregarious fellow who gave us top notch restaurant recos. Would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night before flying on to London. The room was very comfortable and the bed a pleasure to sleep in. The staff are all courteous although checking in took forever as there was a queue of people waiting in front of us. I managed to get to the gym and was pleasantly surprised by the size, range and standard of equipments for a hotel. The breakfast buffet we had eaten at before and heard a lot about, it didnt disappoint. If you like breakfast go here just for the breakfast - traditional bacon and eggs, asian, pancakes/waffles, fruit, juices, ice cream, chocolate fountain...incredible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
We are pleased both you and your wife found the room to be very comfortable and our blissful beds a pleasure to sleep on. If you would like to enquire more on the purchasing of beds or pillows and any other amenities you enjoyed in your room our Flavours of Langham store in the hotel would be happy to help . I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by a very busy check in period. The Langham Melbourne recognizes the importance of a delicious and hearty breakfast, which is why our colleagues are always ready to assist in ways to include items in your room rate in order to get better value. The ideal package for anyone travelling on business or leisure is the Perfectly Langham Package bookable online which includes internet access and breakfast as well. We look forward to seeing you soon so you may take advantage on these great offers.
Ben Sington
Managing Director
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

First-class act from start to finish. Possibly the best service I’ve experienced in a hotel anywhere in Australia, from the moment my partner and I were shown to our rooms by a charming young member of the concierge team and introduced to everything that opened and shut (at our request). Our terrace room came with club ‘privileges’, which made us feel truly spoilt. Special mention to the Scottish lady who was a delightful host in the club lounge-always quick with friendly banter, a top up of gin and tonic from the open bar of an evening and even the odd show tune! We encountered fewer than ten guests in the lounge over two days, so the overall club experience was quite personal. Evening canapés were delicious and the chef even prepared a special platter of battered zucchini flowers for us when we advised that we were vegetarian. The entire hotel exudes luxury-right down to the ladies change rooms in the pool and spa area (see photo). I was very pleasantly surprised by the tastefulness of the room furnishings-not too flouncy or overdone (I was expecting something a little more ‘Barbara Cartland-esque’, based on the grandiosity of the hotel’s much photographed lobby). If i had one small gripe about the stay, it would be that the bathroom was very small for a 5 star hotel (perhaps a trade off between the extra space allocated to the terrace?). Definitely recommend the club room for a special occasion, but I doubt that you could go wrong with any room at this property.

Room Tip: Save up for a club room if you can
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hello Langham! So nice to stay with you again, especially in your Club Corner Suite Spa Rooms, which I consider hands-down the best room for luxury at reasonable price in Australia! I've stayed in a number of hotels at all sorts of price levels and fit-outs, but its this hotel and this room type that always leaves me smiling!

I arrived on Monday 7 Jan, just before 3pm, to be warmly greeted as I pulled up under the portico of the Langham. My bag was promptly taken, and staff waited patiently for me to untangle my keys before handing off my vehicle for valet parking ($50).

I enjoyed the beautiful lobby area for a moment as I walked into the refreshing coolness of the hotel, and rode the escalator to the mezzanine to check-in. I didn't have to wait at all to check-in, again being warmly greeted at the check-in desk, where my service agent took the time to explain both the credit card hold and processing fee without prompting from me (I didn't really need it, but I think it's a plus that they are not assuming everyone knows the procedure, given some infrequent travellers do complain here and elsewhere about not being advised of these things). I was also advised of my complimentary benefits, from my 1865 membership (internet, etc) and from having made my booking online with hotel - complementary valet parking (although this mistakingly was charged when I checked-out, so slight hiccup). The whole process took no more than a minute or two, while we exchanged some pleasantries inbetween processes, before I was advised of the location of the lifts and wished a pleasant stay.

I'd be allocated Room 2223 on the 22nd floor, which I've stayed in before. It's a very plush U-shaped suite, with its own doorbell.

Upon opening the door, you first enter a small lobby with a separate toilet and mirrored vanity off to left, a little further up is the mini-bar and Nesspresso machine (with includes a milk frother). I didn't use the machine, as I had coffee from room service, but its a nice to have. The minibar had all the usual suspects (Chandon sparkling as well), prices reasonable (orange juice $4 for example).

The lobby opens up into the lounge room (two seater sofa, two armchairs, coffee table - all tastefully furnished and lounge suite comfortable to sit on), office desk with views of city (with handy double power points on side of desk), and entertainment unit with roughly 45" Sharp LCD TV (if I remember correctly DVD player and stereo inside entertainment unit as well). On the entertainment unit all the daily papers (Age, AFR, etc) are available as well, which is a nice touch. There is also a multimedia connection device on the entertainment unit as well, which has a USB charging point for your iPhone - another handy touch. There were also two complimentary bottles of water there as well.

Moving into the bedroom, where great views of the river and the city are on display, you had a lovely king bed which is a treat to sleep in, with fluffy pillows and a proper top sheet and separate doona so you can add or subtract as suits you. There is also ample drawers on offer, plus another Sharp LCD wall mounted opposite the bed, the perfect height to watch movies from the bed.

Moving back around, you have a dressing room with double closets (one with large in-room safe) plus clothes valet and a little jar full of choccie frogs for you to snack on!

Finally we have the outstanding bathroom, with double vanity (on which all the little necessities are, such as toothbrushes, etc - even talc), another toilet, and behind the glass enclosure dual showers with separate large oval spa/bath with plenty of fluffy towels, bath bomb, body scrub, top shelf toiletries fit for royalty, etc. I love having a soak in this tub, so luxurious!

I had tiffin afternoon tea and a sumptious breakfast from room service during my stay. The tiffin afternoon tea was beautiful and delicious, and quite good value for $45. I had a full-on breakfast, with a super tasty smoothie, a fresh and moorish pineapple and strawberry salad, yummy French toast with maple syrup and bacon, and Danishes and mango juice and coffee to finish. Awesome!

Check-out was painless. Car was brought round front, and bags were loaded, by the time I'd gotten my bill, and a complimentary bottle of water was left in the car for me for the ride home.

Apart from minor billing issue with valet, and one staffer who rang my doorbell twice asking if I wanted milk within the space of a hour, it was a faultless stay and really such small issues were nothing compared to my enjoyment.

I didn't visit the Club on this stay, but from previous stays and other guests, its a nice bonus with this room rate should you choose to visit.

Really, the friendly staff, the fabulous rooms, and the whimsical Alice in Wonderland feel the Langham Melbourne has are the reason why this is the No.1 hotel in Australia.

Room Tip: I reckon the Club Corner Spa Suite Rooms are Melboune's best little secret in town!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

After going to the Melba restaurant for years and always being blown away by the service and the quality of the food, we were pleased to see that the service and accommodation were just as amazing at the hotel. The view was brilliant, the staff make you feel very important and just the overall feeling you get when staying at the hotel. Its such a wonderful place to stay and is sure to be unforgettable.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!