“Good to be back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Canberra, Australia
“Good to be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hello Langham! So nice to stay with you again, especially in your Club Corner Suite Spa Rooms, which I consider hands-down the best room for luxury at reasonable price in Australia! I've stayed in a number of hotels at all sorts of price levels and fit-outs, but its this hotel and this room type that always leaves me smiling!

I arrived on Monday 7 Jan, just before 3pm, to be warmly greeted as I pulled up under the portico of the Langham. My bag was promptly taken, and staff waited patiently for me to untangle my keys before handing off my vehicle for valet parking ($50).

I enjoyed the beautiful lobby area for a moment as I walked into the refreshing coolness of the hotel, and rode the escalator to the mezzanine to check-in. I didn't have to wait at all to check-in, again being warmly greeted at the check-in desk, where my service agent took the time to explain both the credit card hold and processing fee without prompting from me (I didn't really need it, but I think it's a plus that they are not assuming everyone knows the procedure, given some infrequent travellers do complain here and elsewhere about not being advised of these things). I was also advised of my complimentary benefits, from my 1865 membership (internet, etc) and from having made my booking online with hotel - complementary valet parking (although this mistakingly was charged when I checked-out, so slight hiccup). The whole process took no more than a minute or two, while we exchanged some pleasantries inbetween processes, before I was advised of the location of the lifts and wished a pleasant stay.

I'd be allocated Room 2223 on the 22nd floor, which I've stayed in before. It's a very plush U-shaped suite, with its own doorbell.

Upon opening the door, you first enter a small lobby with a separate toilet and mirrored vanity off to left, a little further up is the mini-bar and Nesspresso machine (with includes a milk frother). I didn't use the machine, as I had coffee from room service, but its a nice to have. The minibar had all the usual suspects (Chandon sparkling as well), prices reasonable (orange juice $4 for example).

The lobby opens up into the lounge room (two seater sofa, two armchairs, coffee table - all tastefully furnished and lounge suite comfortable to sit on), office desk with views of city (with handy double power points on side of desk), and entertainment unit with roughly 45" Sharp LCD TV (if I remember correctly DVD player and stereo inside entertainment unit as well). On the entertainment unit all the daily papers (Age, AFR, etc) are available as well, which is a nice touch. There is also a multimedia connection device on the entertainment unit as well, which has a USB charging point for your iPhone - another handy touch. There were also two complimentary bottles of water there as well.

Moving into the bedroom, where great views of the river and the city are on display, you had a lovely king bed which is a treat to sleep in, with fluffy pillows and a proper top sheet and separate doona so you can add or subtract as suits you. There is also ample drawers on offer, plus another Sharp LCD wall mounted opposite the bed, the perfect height to watch movies from the bed.

Moving back around, you have a dressing room with double closets (one with large in-room safe) plus clothes valet and a little jar full of choccie frogs for you to snack on!

Finally we have the outstanding bathroom, with double vanity (on which all the little necessities are, such as toothbrushes, etc - even talc), another toilet, and behind the glass enclosure dual showers with separate large oval spa/bath with plenty of fluffy towels, bath bomb, body scrub, top shelf toiletries fit for royalty, etc. I love having a soak in this tub, so luxurious!

I had tiffin afternoon tea and a sumptious breakfast from room service during my stay. The tiffin afternoon tea was beautiful and delicious, and quite good value for $45. I had a full-on breakfast, with a super tasty smoothie, a fresh and moorish pineapple and strawberry salad, yummy French toast with maple syrup and bacon, and Danishes and mango juice and coffee to finish. Awesome!

Check-out was painless. Car was brought round front, and bags were loaded, by the time I'd gotten my bill, and a complimentary bottle of water was left in the car for me for the ride home.

Apart from minor billing issue with valet, and one staffer who rang my doorbell twice asking if I wanted milk within the space of a hour, it was a faultless stay and really such small issues were nothing compared to my enjoyment.

I didn't visit the Club on this stay, but from previous stays and other guests, its a nice bonus with this room rate should you choose to visit.

Really, the friendly staff, the fabulous rooms, and the whimsical Alice in Wonderland feel the Langham Melbourne has are the reason why this is the No.1 hotel in Australia.

Room Tip: I reckon the Club Corner Spa Suite Rooms are Melboune's best little secret in town!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

After going to the Melba restaurant for years and always being blown away by the service and the quality of the food, we were pleased to see that the service and accommodation were just as amazing at the hotel. The view was brilliant, the staff make you feel very important and just the overall feeling you get when staying at the hotel. Its such a wonderful place to stay and is sure to be unforgettable.

• Stayed December 2012
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We've just spent 2 nights at the Langham Melbourne, and cannot recommend it too highly. The room was beautiful (they upgraded us to a River View Grand Room), service excellent and staff really friendly and helpful. It's location is perfect, being right on the river and just opposite the pedestrian bridge to get to Flinders Street and Federation Square. It absolutely deserves the rating as the best in Melbourne. We will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Get a river room facing down river - the views are sensational.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Hi. I think the Grand Room is the standard room (for two people) but it's all one needs. I've stayed at another 5* recently which I thought was excellent but this was even better because no parts looked worn or outdated. Everyone throughout the hotel gave excellent service and were friendly and helpful. The entrance is just so beautiful (stairways) where the xmas trees were. Such a beautiful spot for photos if you're a tourist. I stayed at The Langham for 3 nights for a conference I was attending. It was such a pleasure to be there and even though my days were long, I was able to have the choice of enjoying a drink or light meal at the bar area (gorgeous) or sneak out to Southgate, 20 second walk to great cafes, restaurants, chic boutique shopping... so close to other places which makes this 5* one of the better choices. I had only ever been there for a High Tea for my 40th ...and had never stayed there prior to last week. I can highly recommend it. Plus the Business Centre provides photocopy, internet etc which is a bonus. I didn't get a chance to take advantage of the Club level and I can only imagine how great that is. Next visit, I will use the facilities and hopefully be there for pleasure rather than business. I would give it five stars+ - (Can't comment on the Spa as not used. Breakfast great but a little expensive for me personally.) If you're new to Melbourne and you want a clean, safe, gorgeous hotel to stay in, quite seriously this is the place to choose..close to Crown Casino if that's your thing and amazing tourist sights near by....) Enjoy... Lauren

Room Tip: Grand Room was ample for a couple. I was at the conference for about 10 interviews and the other roo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We booked for Christmas Eve and was extremely happy with the hotel. From the minute you walk through the front doors into the majestic foyer to entering your room, the hotel exudes quality and service. The Staff were excellent and had a smile at anytime. The buffet breakfast in the Melba room was lovely and had plenty of variety. Definately a hotel my wife and I will be coming back to.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed there with my husband, it was fantastic. A beautiful hotel, perfect location on Southbank. Stayed in the Club Terrace room which was amazing, views were magnificent, room clean and well stocked. The balcony was great to sit on. Loved the Langham Club, food and staff were great. Would definately recomment this hotel and especially this room. I will definately return there.

Room Tip: The views are great, we stayed on the 21st floor in a Club Terrace room, loved every minute of it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Staying at the Langham Melbourne is hardly fair, it tends to ruin the experience staying at other places. The service, ambience, attention to detail and comfort is hard to beat. I treat my family to a night out every visit to Melb and the Langham is always first preference. I normally feel like a transient when staying at hotels or serviced apartments - but the reception is so welcoming at the Langham, the bed is even more comfy to my own and the service is so personalised - it actually feels like a home away from home.

Room Tip: Opt for a Club Room for extra perks and privileges - worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!