“Old world glory - A special Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“Old world glory - A special Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed at the Langham whilst presenting at the Melbourne Convention Centre (Room 1831, Nov 19,20). Was a pleasant 20 minute walk away. Staff were very friendly and could not do enough for us. They accommodated an early check in as well as a late check out. The restaurant, Melba's, was also a treat. A most amazing multi-cusine buffet with chefs awaiting your requests. Rooms were well appointed with excellent views. (see photo attached) My only criticism was the hopeless Telstra 3G connections. It was just about impossible to use the 3G on our phones or in my laptop. I was advised by Bigpond that it is a known blackspot. The media centre on the TV was also defying intuitive use.

Room Tip: I think the city view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at the Langham a fourth time, and like in previous yards, for the Melborne Cup.
We arrived at around 10am on a Sunday, tired and jet lagged. As soon as the car door was opened, a wonderful man (Francisco) was there to see us up to reception. He was enthusiastic and warm despite the time of day, and this was indicative of the service we received the whole way through our stay.
The hotel is very grand, it's not terribly modern in style, that wouldn't suit the opulence.
The rooms are universally stunning, large in size, ridiculously comfortable bed, well furnished (especially the refurbished ones, there is a rolling programme) and all amenities. The river view rooms in all classes have fabulous views overlooking the city.
We also made use of the club facilities, very good, although when busy (especially as during cup week) service could be improved, or drinks could be self service.
We have never eaten dinner at the hotel, however breakfast in Melba is not to be missed. The only hotel I have ever known to have a chocolate fountain for breakfast.
The swimming pool is good, the jacuzzi is fantastic, and a welcoming sight when straight off the plane. It was the first place we headed on arrival.
On the morning of the Melbourne cup, the hotel provided a fabulous champagne reception, along with requisit yellow roses etc, which is a Wonderful touch.
Fabulous hotel, probably my fave city hotel in the world :)

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

There's no doubt you get what u pay for at the Langham. The foyer is impressive. If u stay in Club the drinks, breakfast and afternoon tea are real treats and mean you don't really need to eat anywhere else. The buffet is fantastic too - though I'm not a fan of buffets at all. The rooms are well appointed and Langham toiletries are second to none. Staff spoil you and go the extra mile. We had a conference there and would recommend. But it comes at a cost. Still the occasional indulgences are what make living worthwhile!

• Stayed July 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The Langham is perfectly located for sightseeing in Melbourne. Our room was spacious and relaxing; the soft furnishing style was slightly Edwardian country house which complimented the dimensions of the room and the general ambiance of the hotel. The marble bathroom was compact in comparison to the bedroom but had everything you would need including a bath and separate walk in shower. Wonderfully comfy bed with plenty of fluffy pillows. We stayed 3 nights on B&B. The breakfasts are superb and I would recommend requesting a table by the window with a view of the river. On a final note, the concierge service was brilliant - on our first night we arrived in the evening and the concierge (sorry can't remember his name) managed to get tickets for the show of our choice and a reservation at a popular tapas restaurant which was just the right choice for us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed 3 nights here during the week for business and pleasure in a Grand River King Room.

It is a delightful luxurious hotel with a grandiose foyer and staircase. The Aria Lounge was perfect for the couple of business meetings I had there. Comfortable lounges, secluded private areas and silver service for tea and coffee. The hotel was impressive and conveyed a certain statement of class and elegance.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful and have obviously been trained to be professional. I had some difficulty with the electronic key not working and they couldn't do enough to get the problem resolved quickly for me.

The rooms were furnished and decorated to an exceptionally high level. The Grand River King Room was spacious enough for me to get on and do some work without being disrupted by others in the room. If there was a failing it may have been that the beds were a little too soft (but soft is luxurious !!)

We didn't visit the Melba Restaurant which is meant to be world class. There are so many choices in Melbourne and in particular Southbank there is no need to eat in the hotel.

The location is very convenient. The short footbridge across the Yarra River connects Southgate (which the hotel is on) to Flinders and Elizabeth Streets. It is ideal for shopping in the CBD and Bourke Street as well as Southbank, Crown, South Wharf DFO and Federation Square.

It is not the cheapest hotel going around (about $290 pn) but will definitely be our first choice for staying in Melbourne from now on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times over the past few years. As a local it has been been my preferred hotel in Melbourne, offering full facilities, great rooms and good service. I could understand why it rated well on Tripadvisor and won various awards. This time, however, I think they lost a fan and what made a disappointing experience more so was seeing aspects of the hotel that once made the place great. Check in was efficient but the quick talking staff member didn't convey any sense of welcome or warmth. Club lounge staff were ok but, except for one or two, not the polished service I've enjoyed prevously. Also, they should either let guests serve they're own drinks, or a dedicated bar, like other lounges. I waited ages to catch the eye of a staff member for a top up but was quickly hovered over when pouring my own drink. Its a confusing system that needs to be fixed. Now to the beds. Langha, like other chains, markets a super comfortable bed and, having slept on their beds here and in Homg Kong, have to say they're amazingly comfortable. What I found on this stay, however, was a fake king ie two singles pushed together with a hard ridge down the middle. To me this it is deceptive, dishonest to sell this as a King bed and really disappointing from this hotel. After quite a fuss - being told it was a king bed etc I was allowed to speak to the duty manager and was shown to another room (by a an excellent and empathetic porter) which attempted the same deception, and finally a proper king bed. Rather than a rfefursbished room, however, I was placed on an older room ona lower floor with a bed that was significantly more worn than my previous faux king bed and dodn't hear anything further from management. I raised the bed issue with the hotel but there was no solution other than an additional blanket (?!). Each morning the bar fridge lady annoyingly called out and opened doors on the floor, each banging at regular intervals clearly with no thought for guests still sleeping. The doors here can be closed quietly and house keeping generally do so. This is still a good hotel but I feel it isn't the excellent hotel I've experienced in the past.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled with a faux king bed!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for reviewing us. I am delighted that you have been a regular guest at the Langham. I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed. I will certainly take up your comments regarding service issues with the departments concerned, as I know on the whole we do better and that we want to do better. With regard to the bed we have full King size beds and ones that split. However all Langham King size Blissful beds, are completed with a full King size topper on top of the cushioned mattress . I am sorry that we were unable to allocate your preferred room type on this occasion.
When we have service deficiencies we want to ensure that we recover and improve. We have contacted you directly so that we can ensure that on your next visit we allocate your preferred room type. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Ben Sington
Managing Director
Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was my third visit to The Langham Melbourne. As always the hotel lived up to its reputation in being a Five Star Luxury Hotel. Location, service, food and those wonderful beds. The breakfasts were lovely and enjoyed over a liesurely time and the 12.00pm checkout was most helpful.
But two things came up this time, firstly attention to room housekeeping was amiss this time, left laying on the floor from previous occupants was bobby pins and plastic packaging from a makeup kit near the desk. And secondly being invited to join the 1865 club, this was the first time I had heard about this. I asked could my previous visit be included which was last April was told no, as I assured the receptionist that we would be back by next April to stay again. (you need 3 visits in one year to qualify)
But apart from that its a lovely hotel with great staff and a beautiful atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!