“Grandiose and Luxurious” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth
“Grandiose and Luxurious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed 3 nights here during the week for business and pleasure in a Grand River King Room.

It is a delightful luxurious hotel with a grandiose foyer and staircase. The Aria Lounge was perfect for the couple of business meetings I had there. Comfortable lounges, secluded private areas and silver service for tea and coffee. The hotel was impressive and conveyed a certain statement of class and elegance.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful and have obviously been trained to be professional. I had some difficulty with the electronic key not working and they couldn't do enough to get the problem resolved quickly for me.

The rooms were furnished and decorated to an exceptionally high level. The Grand River King Room was spacious enough for me to get on and do some work without being disrupted by others in the room. If there was a failing it may have been that the beds were a little too soft (but soft is luxurious !!)

We didn't visit the Melba Restaurant which is meant to be world class. There are so many choices in Melbourne and in particular Southbank there is no need to eat in the hotel.

The location is very convenient. The short footbridge across the Yarra River connects Southgate (which the hotel is on) to Flinders and Elizabeth Streets. It is ideal for shopping in the CBD and Bourke Street as well as Southbank, Crown, South Wharf DFO and Federation Square.

It is not the cheapest hotel going around (about $290 pn) but will definitely be our first choice for staying in Melbourne from now on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times over the past few years. As a local it has been been my preferred hotel in Melbourne, offering full facilities, great rooms and good service. I could understand why it rated well on Tripadvisor and won various awards. This time, however, I think they lost a fan and what made a disappointing experience more so was seeing aspects of the hotel that once made the place great. Check in was efficient but the quick talking staff member didn't convey any sense of welcome or warmth. Club lounge staff were ok but, except for one or two, not the polished service I've enjoyed prevously. Also, they should either let guests serve they're own drinks, or a dedicated bar, like other lounges. I waited ages to catch the eye of a staff member for a top up but was quickly hovered over when pouring my own drink. Its a confusing system that needs to be fixed. Now to the beds. Langha, like other chains, markets a super comfortable bed and, having slept on their beds here and in Homg Kong, have to say they're amazingly comfortable. What I found on this stay, however, was a fake king ie two singles pushed together with a hard ridge down the middle. To me this it is deceptive, dishonest to sell this as a King bed and really disappointing from this hotel. After quite a fuss - being told it was a king bed etc I was allowed to speak to the duty manager and was shown to another room (by a an excellent and empathetic porter) which attempted the same deception, and finally a proper king bed. Rather than a rfefursbished room, however, I was placed on an older room ona lower floor with a bed that was significantly more worn than my previous faux king bed and dodn't hear anything further from management. I raised the bed issue with the hotel but there was no solution other than an additional blanket (?!). Each morning the bar fridge lady annoyingly called out and opened doors on the floor, each banging at regular intervals clearly with no thought for guests still sleeping. The doors here can be closed quietly and house keeping generally do so. This is still a good hotel but I feel it isn't the excellent hotel I've experienced in the past.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled with a faux king bed!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for reviewing us. I am delighted that you have been a regular guest at the Langham. I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed. I will certainly take up your comments regarding service issues with the departments concerned, as I know on the whole we do better and that we want to do better. With regard to the bed we have full King size beds and ones that split. However all Langham King size Blissful beds, are completed with a full King size topper on top of the cushioned mattress . I am sorry that we were unable to allocate your preferred room type on this occasion.
When we have service deficiencies we want to ensure that we recover and improve. We have contacted you directly so that we can ensure that on your next visit we allocate your preferred room type. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Ben Sington
Managing Director
Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was my third visit to The Langham Melbourne. As always the hotel lived up to its reputation in being a Five Star Luxury Hotel. Location, service, food and those wonderful beds. The breakfasts were lovely and enjoyed over a liesurely time and the 12.00pm checkout was most helpful.
But two things came up this time, firstly attention to room housekeeping was amiss this time, left laying on the floor from previous occupants was bobby pins and plastic packaging from a makeup kit near the desk. And secondly being invited to join the 1865 club, this was the first time I had heard about this. I asked could my previous visit be included which was last April was told no, as I assured the receptionist that we would be back by next April to stay again. (you need 3 visits in one year to qualify)
But apart from that its a lovely hotel with great staff and a beautiful atmosphere.

Wellington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great bed, location/view & wonderful service but:
- Room was hot (air con unit wasn't effective even after the technician came)
- Don't know how to do a descent coffee. You should expect a good coffee in Melb or Wellington ( so went to the Bond Store around the corner for breakfast - much better).
- Great gym, spa & steam room but the pool needs a makeover

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing us. I am delighted that you enjoyed the bed , location, service and the spa and steam room at the hotel. I would like to advise that we are currently planning a makeover for the pool area in 2013.
We look forward to welcoming you back
Ben Sington
Managing Director
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed for two nights, brilliant service from the moment we arrived and the food in The Melba Brasserie was superb. This hotel exudes class and attention to detail in every way and it will be our pleasure to not only highly recommend it to our family and friends but also to return again in the near future.

Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was our second visit to Melbourne and The Langham. On both occasions the hotel lived up to all our expectations. Beautiful lobby, high quality furnishings and very attentive / friendly staff contributed to a very enjoyable stay. The room was beautifully decorated and very functional with free WiFi / wired internet connection. The restaurant overlooks the Yarra river and the selection / quality of the food was superb. Checking in and out very efficient and the hotel is only 5 minutes walk from the city centre and Flinder's Street station. Would we return - definitely! Not cheap but provides everything expected of a high quality city centre hotel.

Milton Keynes, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Langham is a beautiful, quietly elegant hotel that fully deserves its number 1 TripAdvisor ranking. We arrived after an early flight at 10.00am, and were thrilled to be able to check into our room straightaway. The room was spacious and beautifully furnished, with a fabulous view over the Yarra River. The hotel is within easy walking distance of Flinders Street rail station, and the central business district.

What made the Langham special were the extra touches (such as complimentary water and daily newspapers) and eagerness to please on the part of staff. Although we did not dine in the restaurant, we did order room service on a couple of occasions. The food arrived quickly, was elegantly presented, and delicious.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!