“Officially In Love” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Victoria
“Officially In Love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We just recently stayed at The Langham for our first wedding anniversary. We had stayed there once before on our wedding night but we checked in late so we didn't get to experience The Langham like we did the second time round.
From as soon as we drove into the front, it was almost as if we had stepped into a classic era as we were greeted by the Porter who was wearing a grey coat and black top hat. With a tip of his hat we were "welcomed" to The Langham.
The foyer is amazing with cascading waterfalls and marble surrounds. The sound of the piano playing fills the area and it really is breathtaking.
The room offers a stunning view of the Yarra river and city of Melbourne, everything really is at your doorstep.
The King size bed is extremely comfortable and there is a wide range of nibblies and drinks in the mini bar and fridge. We were surprised upon returning to our room to find the hotel staff had left us a nice anniversary cake as a treat.
The buffet dinner is pricey but you get what you pay for and with endless amounts of seafood, there really isn't much to complain about. The buffet breakfast is also fantastic.
All in all, you really cannot fault this place. The staff are warm, genuine and welcoming and the class this hotel offers cannot be found anywhere else.
We will keep the tradition of coming her for wedding anniversaries. Who knew such a place existed so close to home!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (883)
  • Thai first
Tamborine, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

We love the Langaham. We stay there at least twice a year usually with our 4 kids on family business. We use the club facilities and this combined with the superior service makes the difference for us. As a centrally located 5 star hotel it has all the usual niceties such as gym, valet parking and a nice restaurant. The rooms - although now a bit dated - are spotless and comfy, On our last stay we were asked to pre authorise $100 on our credit card which for us made it like staying any where else. We appreciate that some issues may have been experienced with less honest clients but regular guests and members of their club should at least be spared this . We would expect that if they are able to know what papers we want in the morning they should also be able to apply a credit rating - disappointing.

We also still find it poor that you have to pay for internet access. Most takeaways and even trains now have free WiFi so why not a five start hotel? This issue is not related only to the Langham but one that could be easily remedied.

Having said that - we love the Langham and will still stay there. The service is fantastic, the location brilliant and overall its our favourite hotel in Australia.

Room Tip: if you have kids - get the club. You can avoid the $50 valet parking by going across the road for...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

The greeting at the entrance and the front desk staff both excellent. We had wonderful views of the river and the city and the hotel is superbly located for exploring the city. However we were a little disappointed in our room we felt it was a little small but was comfortable. Our view of the room maybe a little coloured by 2 other hotels we have stayed at recently (Hilton South Wharf, Melbourne and St Regis, Singapore) which were both superior to the Langham in terms of the room size and especially bathroom size. However overall The Langham is a very good hotel and would always consider staying there.

Room Tip: No doubt you need to have a river view room to make the most of your stay.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at The Langham hotel several times, and can't rate it highly enough.
We live in Melbourne, but have little 'getaways' to the Langham - where you feel like you are in a different world.
The style is very much like living in a fairy tale - classic, opulent and ever so slightly girly!!
Service is always prompt, professional and courteous. Room service is excellent - although you cant go past the hotel restaurant the Melba! Great views over the yarra river and city skyline & best buffet in Melbourne.
The spa is gorgeous, Asian inspired - and makes you totally relaxed.
This hotel is great for travelers and Melbournites who need to feel like they have escaped the hustle & bustle!

• Stayed September 2011
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Was looking forward to staying at the Langham in Melbourne on our last night in the city. Had heard so many good things about the hotel and it is No 1 on Trip Advisor! Checked in and found the reception staff very cold and lacking in friendliness. There was no explanation about any of the facilities of the hotel. I had booked (and paid extra for as a final night treat ) a corner room and our room did have fabulous views of the river and city. However our furnishings in our room were very worn and dated looking and both the arm chairs had ripped covers. Not what you expect for such an expensive room. Our closet light stayed on all night as the door would not shut completely. I rang reception to ask about the internet charge and was told to look it up on the computer, the receptionist did not explain anything about it. Due to this I ended up paying more than I needed to as my daughter separately logged on first. When I logged on I realized that we could have both used the internet for the one fee. I do feel that at this level of hotel there should not be a charge for internet usage. On our trip we had stayed in another hotel in Melbourne which provided free internet and had travelled around Victoria and only one other hotel had required us to pay to use the internet. On check out I waited at Reception for 10 minutes before a member of staff asked me if I wanted to do an express checkout, which I then did. He was surprised that I had not requested this. I asked him how I do this for next time, and he told me I had to ask for express check out on check in. I asked him how I would ask for this when I did not know it existed? He was perplexed!! Most bizarre. When my bill arrived via email, there was an error - I had been charged twice for my internet usage!!! On top of paying extra due to lack of explanation!! I would have to say that the concierge staff were excellent. Very friendly and helpful. I am returning to the Langham in December with my whole family - in laws included - and I would hope the experience would be more positive. If our trip in December had not already been paid for prior to my stay in April, I would not return based on this experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Andrew D, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found our Concierge services excellent. I have contacted you directly regarding your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the shortfall in the product and service you experienced during your stay. We have followed up with corrective action in the respective areas you have highlighted especially in regards to your room and the checkout experience. Similar to other luxury hotels in the city we do charge for internet usage however we do offer free internet in our business centre located in the lobby as well as have packages that include complimentary broadband. We are very pleased to hear that we will be given another opportunity to redeem ourselves in December and please rest assured we will endeavor to ensure you and the family have a seamless experience at The Langham Melbourne .We look forward to welcoming you back at the end of the year.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Absolutely top place to stay in Melbourne starting with the Valet Parking. Superfriendly Valet greats you and makes you feel very welcome. A nice way to start the experience. Everything about the hotel is lavish and much better than higher priced mainstream hotels. Rooms are palacial with a well appointed mini bar. View of the Yarra river is a nice feature.

Then there is the the restaurant, the Melb. The buffet was the go and broke the diet. Great selection of wines and the food was fantastic. Not your usual paltry buffet. This included handrolled Sushi and Sashimi, Amazing meats, Moreton Bay Bugs, Yabbies, King prawns as well as high end Indian food and made to order Naan bread. Even the coffee was fantastic. An afterdinner stroll down the southbank is less than 3 - 5 minutes away.

This is my new Melbourne spot. Very impressed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We had a 5 day break in Melbourne staying in the Langham in a suite. It was worth the extra cost to have the space for that duration stay. As others have commented, this hotel is superb. Its restaurant with its focus on buffet style is very popular but not right for a quiet restful evening given the constant movement of diners (it could do with an additional smaller a la carte restaurant) but there are plenty of excellent eateries nearby on Southbank. What struck me though was how helpful the staff were (really) who solved a wireless access problem, were polite and friendly at all times and the younger doorman who was especially helpful. We also tried out the in-house spa (not being "spa people" and had an excellent and relaxing therapeutic massage. Very professional and not at all scary! Overall, not cheap but worth it.

Room Tip: A suite is better than a room with an outside terrace: more inside room and the bedroom separate fro...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!