“Great hotel for christmas day” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Manchester
“Great hotel for christmas day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed at the Langham for 4 nights over christmas 2011 and loved it. The hotel itself was very nice and the staff where extremely friendly and helpful, even lending me and my wife a small xmas tree from the lobby for xmas morning. The location was great right on the river front near lots of good bars and restaurants. We didn't eat in the hotel itself except breakfast room service which was massive and very good. Great place to spend christmas time in Melbourne

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (885)
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Me and my bf stayed at langham for our anniversary and booked a wish upon a star deal for 300 odd dollars a night to find a small plain daggy room with nothing to make me smile personally. We called reception to upgrade and my bf wanted to make me happy so he went as far as negotiating a price for the penthouse suite..n bam 700 dollars later it was ours. It was apparently dearer normally. We were thrilled and it was breathtaking. However I wouldnt recommend staying in any other rooms there..definetely not for their price range either.

• Stayed May 2011
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

After spending a wonderful weekend at the Langham with some girlfriends I find myself trying to find another excuse to go back and stay at the hotel. My girlfriends and I had a beautiful spa day in the hotel and enjoyed every minute of the luxury around us.
I highly recommend staying the one of the club rooms so you can take advantage of afternoon tea in the club lounge. If you don't stay in a club room one of the restaurants offers high tea and it looked amazing, there was a table about 2m square full of desserts!
The opulence of the hotel is immediate, when you enter the marble foyer you are great by three levels of marble waterfalls which really set the scene for the entire experience. Everything has been thought about from the pens to the complimentary book of Alice In Wonderland in your room.
I haven't seen this type of luxury in a hotel since staying at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, well of course the Bellagio is bigger and more excessive, but this our Australian version, slightly more modest.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We booked for NYE to take advantage of the location. I have dined at Melba's many times but never stayed at the Langham itself. Usually I stay at the Park Hyatt or Crown. Knowing that it was NYE and the hotel would be busy we were prepared for some minor inconveniences, crowds etc, but check-in was very smooth and we were in our room within 10min.
However, once we got in the room, we realised the king bed was actually two singles put together. I know this is quite a common occurrence in many hotels, but usually what we get is a single mattress on top. Instead, what we had was two bases, two mattresses, made up as one bed. Naturally this is particularly uncomfortable and means you can't sleep in the middle of the bed as it is the hard edge of the 2 mattresses. When we called and requested to be changed, the first person we spoke to told us this was the standard and we couldn't change. It wasn't until we got very angry with being given something different to what we'd booked that we were put through to the manager. She was very good, and tried to get us moved, but after moving to a 2nd room (which had the same problem) and then waiting another hour for her to try and sort it out, we were told that unfortunately in our room class out of the 200-odd rooms they have at the Langham that only 30 have 1 bed, and the rest are all twin configurations with 2 mattresses. Therefore since they were fully occupied for NYE, we could settle for our room, or downgrade.
Obviously at this point we were extremely upset having wasted 2hrs on a bed situation that should never have occurred in the first place, so we decided to go to another hotel and asked for a refund. Incredibly, this manager then said that we could not get a refund as it was NYE, we had prepaid and we had to take it up with reservations. I am afraid at this point my goodwill ran out and we demanded a refund given the misleading information provided at time of booking. When I book a king bed, I expect to get one (not two mattresses made up as one bed). It's misleading and deceptive conduct and pretty damn appalling to be advertising it when only 10% of the rooms in that category fit that description.
We ended up speaking to another manager when the issue was escalated, who gave us the refund, and luckily we were able to secure another room (a suite) at the Sofitel (for not a lot more money).
Very disappointing as I had been looking forward to experiencing the Langham given its reputation.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
evanhinrichsen, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you for your review. Our sincere apologies that we could not provide the bed configuration booked and for the ensuing inconvenience. An internal communication issue, now addressed , resulted in our failure to meet your reasonable expectations.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your New Years Eve
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Very nicely appointed, beautiful rooms and very classy. Had a king bed classic room 1618 to celebrate New Year in the city. First time here, and very impressed, bed so comfortable, everything in your room you could need, the staff very professional and very helpful and friendly and this made our stay extra nice too. Pool, very good, pool spa was bliss and had a great city view to enjoy. A nice touch was the complimentary bottles of water in an ice tub as you left the hotel (it was a heat wave). The doormen were very helpful and friendly, we liked that. Our room actually had a partial view of the yarra river so for a classic room we were very happy. Would be my first choice of CBD hotel again.

Room Tip: Classic Room 1618 has a partial view of the Yarra River.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our hotel at the Langham was an experience!

The hotel hardware (room and furnishings) was very well kept and clean . And with the little touches of amenities made available to their guest was just little extra touch, which really went a long wa(Never seen a petitie talcum powder on offer to their guests before - it was just the simple little things)

As for the software (the staff there) - faultless.
Nothing was too much trouble. And if not they would go beyond their call of duty to help.
Even when I questioned a matter on my bill, they were most apologetic and investigated the matter swiftly and came back to me! (It turned out to be my mistake) but they were very gracious.

If ever in Melbourne again, definitely stay there. Never even consider another hotel.
The location was much better than I thought. And just a walk bridge away from Degraves st.
(where we would have breakfast every morning). Next time we go I want to go the the Langham buffets, as I have heard such rave reviews about their interactive meals on offer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We have stayed 4 times during 2011, June, July October and December. Every time the service has been brilliant, wonderful buffet breakfasts and lunches overlooking the river. Rooms and bed first class.
We keep finding reasons to return. December was a special family wedding anniversary.
2010 we were given a gift of accommodation at the Four Seasons in Paris. It was wonderful, but we
still prefer the Langham in Melbourne. We have nothing in Sydney to match the service and quality.
We also find the situation of the hotel excellent as we walk everywhere.

Room Tip: 18th floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!