“Misleading ...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
Hobart
“Misleading ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed here under a 3 night package which was supposed to include free internet in the rooms. So I used the internet on the TV and was charged $24.95 per day of use. Yes, you had to confirm the charge on the screen but I assume that this would be credited back (a common practice in some hotels). Nowhere did it state in their marketing that the 3 night package didn't include TV internet. The person at reception was rather abrupt when I questioned this (I got the feeling that other customers were similarly misled). So, although it was a good stay, it left a sour taste ....

As a hotel the location is great as it's right on the Yarra with the Crown close by. The lobby is impressive. The service good. The indoor swimming pool is good and so is the jacuzzi.

The rooms are unexceptional though. Not much character. I much prefer the Windsor which has a lot more character. The Langham has plumbing issues as I woke up one morning at 4am to some rather loud plumbing noise. When you run water from the basin, you hear it running in the floor trap.

Perhaps I'm still unhappy about the internet TV charge. Not much money but no one likes being taken advantage of.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
DavidLM_LanghamMelb, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Dear TunkuHali
Thank you for your review. Many of our packages include internet access for your own devices but the TV accessed internet is always an additional charge (hence the on-screen notification). Our rooms are designed to be classically elegant and we are constantly upgrading the facilities and furnishings used within them. We are pleased you found the location, lobby and pool to be memorable and we do hope you will visit us again.
Regards,
David Landis-Morse

2,517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We had the pleasure to stay one night at 'The Langham' recently. We are from Melbourne and stay in town on a regular basis. This was our first time at the Langham. From our arrival at the hotel valet parking, to our departure from valet parking, we were treated like the only guests in the hotel. The staff were so friendly, each and everyone of them would great you and ask if you were there for a reason. If you said yes, like I did (it was a birthday present) they would wish you a happy birthday. Check in was smooth and quick and everything explained. Our room had a side view over the River and was perfect to watch the street performers at night. The breakfast is amazing. My only suggestion would be for some help for the one chef looking after the cooking of the eggs, as he was quite inundated. Maybe someone could help him as the line gets longer. Although he did have it under control. The bed was the best bed we have ever slep in, in any hotel we have ever stayed in. We just relaxed into the gorgeous pillows and had the best nights sleep. The hotel is just stunning. We walked away feeling like we had stayed at a friends house. We felt so welcomed and comfortable. This will now be our hotel of choice. The location is exeptionable. Opposite the Flinders St station. Next to the Arts precinct. A short walk to the wonderful shops and alley ways Melbourne is famous for. Turn down service happens while you are out. We were left with a card, telling us the weather for the next day. A nice touch. Bathroom tolietries and accessories we first class and the bathrooms big and roomy. Just as we thought we could not have been any more spoilt, we call for our car and it promptly arrives. As we step into the car, we notice a bottle of water in the console, with a small tag saying 'one for the road'. Well done to all the team at The Langham. Your customer service is exeptional.

Room Tip: We did not ask for a River view, but if you are not from Melbouren, ask for one. The view at night i...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

It's always interesting expectation against reality. We normally stay at The Sofitel on Collins in the club areas. We though we might change as this was becoming familiar, so the Langham looked to have very good trip advisor reviews. We woul d stay again at the Sofitel. The service at the Langham was attentive, the location good for shopping, rail use and the general CBD. In fact the location is more central than the Sofitel. Rooms were ok, we should have got a room on the higher floors facing the river and city. Melba restaurant was ok, selection was fair. The service was excellent and attentive. We stayed for two days.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing the river
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
bsington, General Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Thank you for recently staying at the Langham Melbourne and submitting a review to Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel and our attentive service. I would like to advise you that all of our Club rooms are recently renovated and on higher floors. Our Club River Grand rooms would be ideal for your needs with spectacular views over the city and access to the comfortable Club Lounge on the 24th floor.

I look forward to welcoming you back
Ben Sington
Managing Director
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I have stayed here many times as it is a favorite location for conferences in Melbourne. however, I would never stay here by choice. It just seems to be something of a soulless place with an awkward lobby design, indifferent staff and rooms that are the same as any other four star hotel. The location is great if you are on holiday but not so good for business as it is a bit of a hike to the main office areas and taxis can be very very hard to get at peak times. If you have a tight airport deadline at peak hour I would definitely book a car.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us recently. I respect your opinion regarding our lobby design. It is, however, very popular with many of our reviewers.
I have been in touch with you regarding your stay and understand that you have stayed with us many times over the years. On your next visit our concierge and doormen will be very happy to help arrange taxis or limousine service into the city and the airport.
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We take pride in tailoring our services to suit our guests needs and look forward to welcoming you back
Best wishes
Ben Sington
Managing Director
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed at The Langham for 3 nights, in a river view room and chose the hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. This hotel was memorable for the level of service provided by the staff. On hearing it was my first time in Melbourne, the staff member who checked me in immediately circled the best places for coffee, shopping, etc. on a map. My stay in Melbourne was a bit more exciting than usual--I lost my cell phone, had shuttle bus issues--and in each case staff members went out of their way to help solve the problem.

Other little things I liked: the pink and gold colour scheme on the guest stationary and pens, the different weather-related quotes on the daily weather forecast card, slippers neatly arranged on a cloth at the side of the bed each night. The room was decorated in an elegant, classic style and was quiet, comfortable and clean. The location is great--Flinders Street is just a short walk across a pedestrian bridge. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I am a huge fan of the Langham. I travel to Melbourne frequently and have stayed in most of the 5 star hotels and this is by far the best. Servcie is great and the beds are the best of any hotel. Food and bars are also great and the location can't be betten. Step outside the door for a great range of options!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Bangalore, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Having heard so much about The Langham from lots of people, I was extremely disappointed. I landed really late in Melbourne and took a cab to get to The Hotel. I didn't have anyone to come help me with my luggage, I walked to the lobby and the lady at the reception surely didn't seem pleased to see me, in fact for some preferential treat towards another lady standing beside me, the lady at the reception asked me to step aside so that she could assist someone who cut a queue, I was still thinking/pondering about cultural sensitization.

When I reached my room, I realized that the tap in the basin was leaking and I'd heard about how Melbourne' being suffering because of the scarcity of water and so I called the reception to inform them about the same- No One Arrived until the next day, I was doing my part of being a perfect, well -mannered, cultured, sensitized tourist/business traveler, but sadly I think they don't reciprocate it in a similar manner.

I was horrified when I heard how much the room rent was it was just a little before Christmas last year, the service was non-existent and so I can't really grade or comment on that aspect.
The Dinner at Melba and Drinks at Aria were strictly Ok.

I did brush shoulders with a couple of Millionaires and who's who from Australia at The Langham and they weren't curt or obnoxiously cold as the Staff at The Langham, I really wonder if the Capital Letters at the beginning of T-he L-angham are really appropriate.

The staff needs some training and I'd surely be glad to do some work with them, having lived and worked with the best people in the hospitality business across the world...Langham was a let down

Room Tip: Maybe the one that overlooks the Yarra River, which is dirty!!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!