“Service not worthy of a luxury hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“Service not worthy of a luxury hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

The Langham is an elegant, luxury hotel, with a great location on the Southbank, We stayed as a small group of friends for a long weekend of shopping, relaxing and enjoying the Melbourne nightlife.

This was our second stay in the Langham hotel. During out first stay we were disappointed with the service, but having managed to secure special rates, we decided to give this hotel another chance. Sadly, this time service was even more dissapointing. Room cleanliness was below what you would expect for a 5 star hotel. Dust was clearly visible in certain areas and the sheets also looked a little grubby.

Having booked to accomodate three people in a room, we arrived to find the room included only a double bed. We had to request a trundle bed be set up. This must have been inconvenient for the housekeeper though because on the following day, after the room had been serviced, the double bed had been made up but the trundle bed had not.

We again experienced poor service on departure of the hotel in which the hotel porters were reluctant to assist us with loading of our luggage onto the bus.(despite us being a group of girls). Actually, on arrival they had also left us without assistance, although at that time they were busy with a bus load of tourists.

One of the good things about this hotel is the use of the Spa amenities. This includes the swimming pool, steam room and sauna. There is also a nice deck for sunbaking near the pool which overlooks the Melbourne skyline.

However, I will not be staying here again. I expect service in a hotel of this class to be exeptional but actually I've had better experiences in a three star hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
DavidLM_LanghamMelb, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Dear CnS92
We do apologise that you found our service on this occasion not up to expectations and our usual high standards. We are reviewing our procedures to ensure all bookings are followed through as per the requirements. We are glad you enjoyed the usage of the Spa facilities and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
David Landis-Morse
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

My 8 year old daughter and I arrived from the UK to Langham in Melbourne, exhausted . We arrived at the Langham at around 8am, advised my our travel operator that we will have to wait around in the lounge in the hotel until we could check into our rooms at 2pm, not at all so, we were informed to wait in the lounge for 40 minutes (so that they could prepare our room), was very happy and relieved. The first thing my daughter said when we arrived at the hotel was "wow",this is a beautiful hotel, fantastic location and very friendly and helpful staff. The last night was a bit uncomfortable as a couple in the next room were disturbingly loud with their bedroom antics( as the noise kept my daughter awake and asking questions) but the Langham staff promptly dealt with the issue and sent security up straight away to deal with the couple next door. We only stayed a couple of nights as we were heading down to Geelong for a wedding but it was a wonderful stay and would highly recommend this hotel,very classy.

Room Tip: conceirge service very useful
  • Stayed April 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011 via mobile

This is a brilliant hotel they are very helpful. They have amazing rooms and brilliant views. The food is very good, and it is not in the middle of nowhere. The staff are very understanding and help you in anyway that is possible. There are lots of places around the hotel for you to enjoy and there is very good shopping in the inner city. I couldn't of picked a better place to stay and they made it as conferrable as possible.

• Stayed March 2011
Cassopolis, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

My Mom & I arrived at The Langham aroun 10:00am on a Saturday morning and were pleased to find out that our room was ready. We had put in a request a couple of weeks earlier saying that we were arriving early morning on a flight from LA. They said March was a rather busy month but would put in the request for early check in. No problems there.
The lobby is gorgeous. Marble everywhere and large chandeliers hanging. We got up to our room on the 9th floor and were pleased with the size of the room, the large bathroom with a tub and separate shower and large area above the mini bar with mirrors. I used that as my make up area, it had great lighting.
The hotel is within walking distance to great shopping & restaurants. We had breakfast at Melba and it was wonderful. I will stay here again on my next trip to Melbourne!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Langham earlier this week and I can easily say this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in! We arrived into Melbourne at 7am after an 8 hour flight from Singapore so we were very tired and were delighted when the staff advised us that we could check in after an hour or so once house-keeping had cleaned a room for us.... this was great news after expecting we would be unable to check in until after 2pm.

The entrance to the hotel is amazing and I had seen pictures online but it still didn't compare to the WOW factor when you arrive. All the staff were friendly and everything was so elegant and plush. We stayed on the 22nd floor in a classic room. The room is large enough with a massive bed, huge tv, writing desk, chair and foot-stool and plenty of cupboard space. The bathroom is stunning with a huge bath and shower, not to mention all the lovely items in the bathroom; talc, comb, loofah, mouth wash, lotions and potions.... all bearing the Langham stamp and in pink boxes.

The running theme throughout the hotel is great, the room keys are slim and light pink, the stationary in the room is pink with the Langham gold crest printed everywhere. The bed was comfy, the room was spotless and the staff were always helpful and polite. On the final evening we were at the hotel a lady from guest services (I think here name was Jasmina) spoke to me in the business centre and gave me a small slip which was a voucher for 2 complimentry glasses of champagne in the hotel bar which was a great treat on our final night..... she also gave me a pink rose from the huge display on the reception desk and asvised me to leave it in the room as it will smell gorgeous when we return from the bar. All these little things made it an amazing stay and I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Fantastic location however, the rooms are tired and the place is getting on. I was sold a newly renovated room but the carpet in the hallway was already showing signs of wear and marks where there is high traffic. When I asked how old the redecoration was I was told only a few months.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
DavidLM_LanghamMelb, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, April 16, 2011
I do apologise that you did not enjoy the hotel décor. We have completed renovations of three floors within the hotel and have had very positive feedback about these areas. We will be continuing the renovations this year throughout the hotel.
David Landis-Morse
Guest Relations Manager
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

The Buffet at the langham is good! Has a Sushi Man making Sushi on the spot, Has good seafood, Make your own Stir Fry, and a naan bread man making naan bread on the spot in a pot and you can choose what you have in it (cheese,Garlic, Lamb Mince, CHOCOLATE etc) Chocolate Fountain, Desserts and heaps more! Nice views of the yarra. A Very Nice and Fancy Buffet. DELICIOUS!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!