“Simply elegant!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Melbourne to your Saves list
The Langham, Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Southgate Ave | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Club & Suite Discount
Ranked #1 of 169 Hotels in Melbourne
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“Simply elegant!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

This was such a beautiful hotel! The location was perfect as it was just across the river from downtown Melbourne. We walked wherever we needed to go, and it wasn't far. The weather there was cool - not warm, but not too cold. The staff was wonderful with taking care of any of our needs. The service for our room was excellent. Every night, someone delivered bottles of water to our room, and every morning, a paper was left at our door. Oh, and the BED........it was HEAVENLY! Although they do sell beds in their hotel boutique, I opted to just buy the pillows like the ones on the bed in our room.

I think that the only thing that I didn't like was that because it was such a ritzy hotel, people there looked DOWN on us because we are white-skinned, and we are not the rich type. I'm not talking about the hotel staff, but about the people that stayed there.

Would I stay there again? Well, if someone else paid for it, then DEFINITELY!.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Fukuoka, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

Really enjoyed my stay at the Langham. Great rooms and good location justifies the price being on the higher side.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

We stayed in a Club Spa Suite at the Langham Hotel Melbourne for our wedding night in January 2011. As we only stayed for one night, we can’t say too much about the hotel, but here is what we did experience:
• The check-in staff were friendly and efficient
• The décor of the hotel in the lobby and public areas was elegant
• We stayed in a suite on a Club level. The room was very nice with a separate lounge room, powder room, bedroom, dressing room and bathroom. The bathroom had a spa bath in it. It was luxurious and had all the amenities you could need. It seemed very big for just the two of us though!
• Despite the overall size, the layout of the room was a bit strange. You felt a bit like you were walking through a maze to get from one end of the room to the other (it was not a big square room, it was more like a winding pathway which was a bit weird; probably not a good thing if you sleepwalk!)
• There was a plate of complimentary mini-desserts in the room for us on arrival
• Complimentary breakfast is available in the Club Lounge if you are staying on a Club level. It is not a huge selection of food, but was quite nice regardless (and a full breakfast, not just continental like a lot of Club lounges at other hotels we’ve stayed at before)

If we had stayed more than one night, we probably could have given a more comprehensive review. All in all, however, it was very nice for what it was. The only disappointment was that you actually have to pay an extra $145 (plus a $5 delivery fee!) for a bottle of French champagne on your wedding night (!!!) whereas every other hotel we stayed at during our honeymoon offered us a complimentary bottle of French champagne. Considering the cost of the room (almost $700/night!) that was a bit disappointing coming from a 5 star hotel, though perhaps that is the difference in tourism service between our own country and elsewhere in the world.

All up it was a nice place to stay in a good location on the Yarra River, albeit a bit expensive.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Sawtell, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

A wonderful weekend that felt like it was in "Wonderland" thanks to the Langham Team and Facilities. Every member of the team is personable and provide excellent level of service and rapport. The beds are bliss and a morning in the gym, the pool, the spa and the steam room is a great way to start the day.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

My partner and I went to Melbourne together for the first time for a long weekend. We stayed two nights and on the last day we were sad to leave!

It was also Christmas time, so there were decorations in place and a beautiful tree in the lobby. It added to the charming fountain feature and I was snap happy taking photos!

The concierge was very charming and helpful, and even though we had come relatively early before the check in time, our room was ready so we were able to leave all our things and start off our day of shopping early. They also gave us maps and showed us where everything was, which places were popular shopping areas and where there were nice places to dine.

We had booked a river corner king room and it was divine. We had views over the river, and I loved the huge windows which made the spacious room feel even more larger. The bed was heavenly and very inviting and the room was immaculately clean.

The room service was prompt and the cleaning ladies did a wonderful job, and when I requested more complimentary bottled water, they were more than happy to oblige. There was an abundance of towels, more than we could get through and the little complimentary things really added a nice touch. The morning paper was on time and anything we requested was attended to with enthusiasm.

This hotel stay was the best experience for our first time visiting Melbourne and we have already decided to stay over a week at the end of the year again because it was an amazing experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a week for work. The hotel condition, service, and amenities are definitely a 5 star class quality! My room was huge with beautiful large bathroom, scale included (which is great for those trying maintain not to over eat at convention events which always provide so much food). The staff at the executive lounge were great. They knew me by name by the second day and made effort to research and print out information on local attractions that I was interested in.

I only disappointment I had was when I first checked in. My company left an important envelope for me at the front desk, which the staff could not locate and then tried to excuse themselves by saying that it did not exist. I had to call my company who confirmed that it was indeed left there for me. Finally, they found it, but it cost me time and energy (I was heading to a convention that morning after checkin and was already late). The front staff did not bother to apologize for wasting my time. Considering the rate that my company paid to put me in the higher priced room with all amenities (executive room access, internet included in rate, etc), I thought they were less accommodating at the front desk. Other than the front desk staff, the other staff were extremely friendly and helpful. This is the only reason I am not giving this hotel a 5 star for service.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

It was our second stay there. We stayed on the 16th floor in a room that overlooked the Yarra from two angles.

The whole place is quite grand.

The staff were so hospitable; always smiling and ready to offer assistance or advice.

The food (buffet) at Melba's is delicious!

We'll definitely be returning. A great place to stay if your in town.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Langham, Melbourne? Share your experiences!