“A great night out” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Promenade Melbourne

You added Crown Promenade Melbourne to your Saves list
Crown Promenade Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Saver
Ranked #24 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
“A great night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We spent one night at the Crown Promenade in the lead up to Christmas. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised given the local reputation that this hotel has of being the poorer cousin to Crown Towers. We have stayed at Crown Towers on at least three previous occasions. Whilst the pool was not as amazing as at the Towers, our experience with Crown Promenade was very positive. We stayed in a standard room with our two children. The service from the staff was nothing short of perfect. Everyone was polite and accomodating. The valet assisted us with a special request with no difficulties. The team on reception were polite and well presented. The room was nice and clean but SMALL. I would not have been able to handle more than a night or two with children in this teeny room. There was simply no room to move with two Queen sized beds crammed into the room. This was also the only family option available in the one room at any of the Crown hotels. I am not certain why these rooms are not located in a corner suite so that families are not forced into a shoe box. I would have gladly paid more for a little more space!
We used the pool and room service as well. The pool was lovely but not really suitable for laps. Room service was prompt and well worth ordering.
Would we return? Yes-definitely. Though I would probably only recommend a couple of nights in a family room. I would recommend a longer stay for a single or couple and did notice good corporate facilities.
Well worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

This hotel was very memorable because we had a FANTASTIC time in Melbourne when we stayed here. The first thing is location, right next to the Crown. The lobby looks beautiful, the room is spacious and clean. Lifts are quick. Honestly I cannot fault this hotel because it was just great. Having close proximity to all the Melbourne attractions is a big factor in choosing this hotel. Staff are very good as well.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Castle Donington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

This is a fabulous hotel with lovely finishing touches. The room I stayed in was very spacious. As usual the mini bar was expensive but well stocked. The cleanliness overall was of a high standard. Security via room key to be used in the lift was a feature I have not seen before. It was quiet and peaceful when in the room. The shower was easy to use. The bed was very comfortable.Acess to casino and shops was easy.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be of the same high quality . Higher rooms have better views
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

stayed 1 night over new year. extremely good deal, $77pn no breakfast or valet parking. check in really fast much different to crown metropol which was 30 minute check in. Room really comfortable, not extravagant, but excellent for price. Pool area fantastic as 2 outdoor spaces. Would definatley stay again if price is right. Service and check out fast also.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We have stayed here on two occasions now and remain happy with the rooms and service. Very contemporary and funky decor; great bathroom (love the shower!) and very clean. Want for nothing - the day spa is fantastic with friendly and helpful staff. The pool area is nice, but the best thing the hotel offers is it's location and proximity to South Bank and all it offers, including the Crown complex. Book with confidence.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Having previously stayed in Crown Towers and Crown Metropol, my wife and I decided to broaden our experience by staying in Crown Promenade on New Years Eve.

After made our booking online, I called the hotel to confirm the booking. Was kinda disappointed because I was greeted by a rude front desk staff name Erin (prob different spelling), who told me that the guest name for the room is under my father's name. I believe this happen because last year my parents come to visit Australia from overseas and I booked them a room in this hotel using my credit card detail. The system must picked up my credit card details history and use previous guest name as default guest name.

When I explained to Erin that this time I'll be staying at the hotel, not my father, and I also received an automatic email confirmation (after made my booking online) from the hotel with my name in the guest info column, she insisted that the guest name that will check in under this booking will be my father. She went even further by saying that I can check in under this booking, if my parents call the hotel from overseas to tell them that they would not stay in the hotel. She said, what happen if on the day she checks me in and then my parents turn up and demand to be checked in in the same room as well.

Seeing this is going nowhere, I hung up the phone and email the hotel directly along with the confirmation email that shows my name under the guest info, hoping this will clear the confusion. I called them back 1 hour later and this time luckily, Lee Allen attended my query, a really polite and nice person. He fixed the guest name promptly, he apologies to me profusely for the treatment I received from Erin, and he went above and beyond by giving us a complimentary sparkling wine and chocolate in the room to help us celebrate the new year. So BIG Thank you Lee! You saved the Day and Crown prestige brand name.

Arriving at the hotel I was greeted by very polite doorman. The check in went without a hitch and our room was on 23rd floor (One level down from the highest floor in the hotel), so that's really a great compliments from the hotel.

We booked a studio room that facing the city so we can see the Fireworks in CBD from our room. And this room really delivers what is in the room description. My wife and I can enjoy the fireworks show with complimentary sparkling wine.

The room is immaculately clean and spacious. The bathroom is big, clean and spacious as well, but no bathtub though. The only drawback from this room is the bed being not as comfortable as Crown Tower or Crown Metropol. Furthermore, the blanket does not feel soft enough, rather it feels a bit crisp and feel a bit like made from plastic. Maybe I was expecting a bit more from this hotel, given previously stayed in Crown Towers and Crown Metropol.

When we checked out, there was a long que of people that checking out as well. Surprisingly, I waited no more than 10 mins in the que line to have me standing at the reception desk to check out. Furthermore, it took them less than 10 mins to bring our car to the front door from underground parking, amidst there were a lot of people waiting for their car as well. Every staff seems to know what they were doing and they did it effectively and efficiently. So I didn't see any hotel guests that were not attended to their needs. I must say the hotel has a good management especially on peak time.

So the verdict, it is quite an average 4 star hotel, but I believe there are still room for improvement.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We had a nice cormer room with an excellent view. The room cost was reasonable.

The room service and mini bar prices were outrageous. I regularly stay in hotels and expect to pay a premium for mini bar but these guys are world champs.

If you are sensitive to cigarette smoke this may not be the place for you. We were on a non-smoking floor but it reeked of cigarettes.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are wort the small premium.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Crown Promenade Melbourne? Share your experiences!