“location to market” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Melbourne Therry Street

You added Mercure Melbourne Therry Street to your Saves list
Mercure Melbourne Therry Street
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   43 Therry Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #89 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
melbourne
“location to market”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

a good hotel which is close to queen vic market, tram into city city centre 30 seconds away, also can walk to swanston st and get tram there,,,you can always walk too. hotel is only 3 floors and the 9th floor is where you have breakfast, which is very very basic, queen beds very nice and clean, the room itself is small and some parts are showing age. if you can get this at low 100 dollar mark then its good, otherwise exp,,,,then again accommodation in australia anywhere is exp !!!

Room Tip: there is contruction next door, so you may want to ask for a room away,,,11am check out is brilliant
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Unfortunately our stay at the Mecure on Therry street, Melbourne was not a pleasant experience. From first contact, when we were initially enquiring and corresponding with the staff at the hotel regarding our stay they were impatient and difficult to talk to over the phone.
When arriving to the hotel for our stay, the gentlemen behind the desk was helpful and informative, unfortunately this was the only pleasant customer service we received. Travelling with a sibling when booking we requested single beds, this was overseen and obviously too difficult for the team at reception to take the initiative and provide a solution for us, we were told impatiently when we phoned reception from our room that "we are over booked and there is nothing we can do". Nothing you can do? I doubt it. We went down stairs to request a trundle bed, It seems the staff member who took our original call lacked in common sense and problem solving skills.

We also had an unpleasant encounter with another staff member on our floor just outside our room, we were travelling with a group, in total we had 5 adults across three rooms, since our stay I am amazed that the staff actually successfully arranged this for us. I won't call this guy a gentlemen because he wasn't, he walked through the hall and before even approaching us, spoke to us in an extremely impolite way and told us we had no manners, I'm sure the way that staff member spoke to us is a more accurate representation of having no manners.

Our trip to Melbourne unfortunately has been over shadowed by our experience at this hotel, It's a shame that the Mercure on Therry street does not work to the same standard as its fellow Mercure chain hotels and this potentially spoiling our opinion of the chain

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Mercure on Therry Street (not to be confused with the OTHER two Mercure hotels in Melbourne, which I admit is rather confusing) is a nicely renovated hotel, the rooms are very modern and spacious and amenities are up-to-scratch.

The entrance foyer is less than impressive (the space is very narrow and small), but staff are efficient and pleasant enough at the front desk.

I often get some good deals for stays of more than 3 nights here, and the proximity to the Queen Victoria markets is great as there's some good coffee in the mornings and treats in the afternoon. If you were there as a tourist it would no doubt be even more convenient. It's also an easy walk to the main train stations and shopping areas of Melbourne - just around the corner from the fabulous new Emporium shopping centre.

It can be a bit of a rabbit warren to get to your room depending on which you get, as a result of the long and narrow design of the building - request one closer to the elevators if you can.

There was some construction nearby when I was there recently but the rooms seemed to be insulated to a level which probably makes sense during normal times.

Not a fancy hotel, but good value, clean and in a good location.

Room Tip: Go closer to the elevators as it can be a hike to the far rooms.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel is located about 45minutes drive from the airport and about 60AUD. Across the street is the Queen Victoria Market where you can find your place for breakfast.
About 20minutes walks to Flinders Central Station.
The room was spatious and clean and quiet.
The staff at the reception was kind enough to give us some directions around the city but not that great service overall.
THe hotel could be decent choice for travellers, but you might consider other options.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Negatives
Rooms not clean
Happy hour location in dinning room. No Bar and No Menu
Worst buffet breakfast ever Stale Danish pastry
We got the feeling that this was student accomodation previously and that the Mercure has taken over four floors and tried unsuccessfully to turn it into a hotel
Positives
Fantastic location

Room Tip: Can't really advise as only our room to go on. Very poor cleaning
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
MercureTherryStreet, General Manager at Mercure Melbourne Therry Street, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Myra M,

Thank you for your feedback and I am most disappointed to hear about your experience. Could I please request you contact me direct at gm@mercuretherrystreet.com.au or via phone at 039637 6666 to discuss your stay.

Mildura, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The location is great. right between the two busiest streets of melbourne - swanston and elizabeth. Tram stops easily accessible and plenty of breakfast and lunch eateries with the queen victoria market across the road.
My only qualm with the room we had was the air condition. at 16 degrees, it performed poorly and i planned to tell them this upon checking out...except the question 'was everything ok with the room?' was not asked! We didn't bring this up during our stay as we were in and out of the room constantly and had an opening window. Furthermore, a working air conditioner vent was right outside our door in the hallway....we would just leave our door open sometimes.
However is it common curtsey to ask a guest how their room was, especially after a six night stay!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Dear Heidi_Renee4,

Thanks for taking the time to review. We certainly are in a great location which is now even better with access to the Free Tram Zone.

I do apologise about not being asked about your stay. We do have staff 24 hours to assist, please do not hesitate to let us know during your stay so we can attend to anything in the rooms.

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

had a little kitchenette which was good, no sink plug though, so had to use running water to wash-up the dishes. Around the corner from the QV markets, and by chance I discovered my last night there was the first night of the night markets, perhaps a bit more marketing by the hotel may have been good? There was some basic free wifi, but wasn't told about this at check in, only heard about this when had to have my room key reset (a couple of times during my stay), but I had my own wifi from home. The check in attendant was friendly and helpful, I had pulled my back out days prior to my stay, and I was early for check in by a few hours. I had queried if I could leave my luggage at the hotel before checkin which was possible, then on the day they had rearranged my room, so I could check in early, which was much appreciated. Location is walkable to the shops, restaurants, trams, felt safe in the area, overall would stay again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Dear Katied37Brisbane,

Thanks for writing such a detailed review. I am glad our team was able to assist with your queries during your stay and we'll be sure to let our guests know about the Free WiFi in our common areas.

Akshay Deosthali

Been to Mercure Melbourne Therry Street? Share your experiences!