“Beautiful Heritage Building perfectly positioned for a short stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BreakFree Heritage on Little Bourke

Save Saved
You added BreakFree Heritage on Little Bourke to your Saves list
BreakFree Heritage on Little Bourke
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   318 Little Bourke St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Pacific International Apartments)   |
Ranked #124 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Wodonga, Australia
“Beautiful Heritage Building perfectly positioned for a short stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I can't praise this Hotel enough. Sure there is building going on next door but you can't fault the position of this beautiful heritage building. I have stayed here twice and will again in a few weeks again. Both times we have had quiet rooms-the first was a two level one bedroom apartment, and the second a one level one bedroom apartment. Both were very spacious and recently refurbished rooms. The position is perfect-central to most attractions and shopping. When the building next door (Myer's/David Jones) is finished it will be perfect.I am happy to put up with the building works for the benefits later. I especially like that you do not have to enter the building through the reception foyer but rather a secure safe entrance.My husband ( A farmer from the country who does not like staying in the CBD) loves this Hotel as it is so convenient to everywhere and yet the apartment is private, spacious and comfortable enough to spend time in. It is the only place he will stay now in the city. The first time we came down on the train and this Hotel is so easy to get to-the second time we drove parking the car in the reccommended carpark a very short distance away-the rate was discounted for Breakfree customers. Both stays I have booked the mystery deal with Wotif and had a great rate. Whether getting takeaway meal to bring back to eat in or dining out in China town or any of the other nearby restaurants, for us it was ideal for our 1-2 night stays. We prefer the bigger more spacious apartment accommodation-a nice view would be nice but not necessary-we stay at the seaside if we want a nice view.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
herolbk, General Manager at BreakFree Heritage on Little Bourke, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive feedback - although we are in a difficult situation, with the construction works next to us, we continiously go out of our way to accommodate our guests.
We hope to see you soon again at our property!

Kind Regards

Marian Ettakadoumi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I'm staying at the Breakfree on Little Bourke right now and it is a terrible hotel. I have what is called a 2 bedroom apartment which is basically a converted loft with beds squashed into the walkway right next to the bathroom.

As the other reviewers have said, the noise from the trucks at 2am and 4am is unbearable.

The TV in the room is smaller than a laptop screen and wouldnt look out of place in an antique store.

I needed an iron to press a shirt for s function and there was no iron in the room. When I called reception to ask for an iron I got told I had to wait until 6pm as he is the only person working in the whole place.

Never to stay here again!!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
herolbk, General Manager at BreakFree Heritage on Little Bourke, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear Guest

We thank you for your feedback - You must have stayed in one of our 2-bedroom loft apartments - which are fully explained on our web-site: 1 queen + 1 single + 1 sofa bed. As our apartments are located in a heritage building - every apartment looks a bit different, and I am sorry if it did not live up to your expectation. Being located in the heart of the city - it is inevitable that we do have 'city' noises around us - we do not have them all under our control - but we do our best to reduce whatever we can. We understand the property is in need of a refurbishment - which is scheduled for the near future. Our apologies for a disappointing stay - rest assured we do what we can to get it right

General manager
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

THIS HOTEL GAVE US BED BUGS!!!!

My sister and I stayed in this hotel last week. While we were there, we found bugs in our bed. Considering we had never seen bed bugs in our lives, we just killed them and didn't do anything more about it. We are now home and have obviously bought these bugs home with us. We now have these red itchy bites all over our bodies, mine being much worse than my sister's. Concerned, we visited out GP and were told we had bed bugs. It has cost us a fortune in antihistamine, antibiotics and anti itch cream medications. Not to mention, we have had to bug bomb our house and wash all of our sheets and clothes.
We felt the hotel was not as clean and hygenic as it could of been while we were there, but little did we know, there were these little bugs carrying god knows what kind of diseases living in the bed.
THIS IS DISGUSTING - DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! It might be in the perfect location, but it's not worth this pain and inconvenience we have gone through!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback - which gives us an opportunity to rectify the problems. Bed-bugs is a serious problem that is to betreated with great care. They are not related to hygene issues - bed-bugs are brought into the hotel by travellers - and can breed for weeks- before an eruption occurs. It is therefore extremely important to notify the Hotel as soon as they are discovered. They only come out at night - and will disappear during the day - hence it is very difficult for the housekeeping - staff to notice them. I am sorry you did not notify us about the bugs the very first day - as we could have done something about that immediately.
Rest assured that we do all we can to make the stay as comfortable as possible for our guests.

Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

My sister and I stayed in a one bedroom apartment for four nights in October 2011. When we checked into our room, we noticed the toilet was not flushing properly and continually running. I advised reception, and one of the guys came up. He said he would get maintenance to look at it. Two days later - we were still having the same problem. The toilet would not entirely flush and the flush button would get stuck and the toilet would constantly run. We had to leave it for at least an hour before it would flush properly, and it just continued for the whole 5 days we were there. On the third day, I advised a different person at reception and he said he would get maintenance to look at it. When we arrived home from shopping, 6 hours later, it was quite obvious no one had been to look at the problem because there was still toilet paper in the bottom of the toilet bowl. Considering this is a hygeine issue, my sister and I found this very disgusting and were very disappointed that the staff just brushed us off after several complaints. I advised reception that it still had not been fixed when we checked out, but it wouldn't suprise me if the current guest is having the same issues.
The accommodation was in an excellent position, very close to Bourke Street Mall, however it seemed the only bar located anywhere near us, was directly underneath our room. After long days, we were looking forward to relaxing and having a good night sleep, however the music started around 8pm and continued through until 1.30pm. I understand it is in the middle of the city and there is going to be some noise, but the amount of noise was just beyond ridiculous. We sat up until 2am one morning, listening to some very bad elvis like impersonator band. They might as well of been in our room, because it sure felt like it. I would suggest the mantra group look at some kind of sound proofing, because it really did disrupt our stay as we were so exhausted and still feeling very tired even though we have now been home for 2 nights. If i had of wanted noise like that - I would of paid half the price to stay in a pub. When the band is finished, the noise of motorcycles and patrons leaving is also very loud. About 2am a garbage truck then arrives and you hear the sound of it reversing and emptying bottles. 4am comes the street sweeper and then 7am construction works start, despite the note at reception stating it starts at 8am.

The room was nice, however it did not feel very clean. There were stains on the carpet, one in particular beside the bed - A huge red stain. The lamps in the bedroom were stained and there was layers of dust in the fan light in the bathroom. I also noticed the cleaning staff didn't seem particularly hygenic. I understand they were working, but the smell of their body odour in the corridors and the lifts when we passed them each morning was sometimes unbearable. The cost of deodorant, is surely not that expensive.

Overall, we were pretty disappointed with the stay, and would probably not stay there again due to the lack of care of the staff regarding our toilet, and because of the constant noise every night from the bar underneath. Being a regular customer of the Mantra Group, I would have to say, I was pretty shocked about this, as I usually find them very good. If you're going to Melbourne - Pay a little extra and stay somewhere like the Hilton. It would be worth it for the quiet night's sleep.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

2 girfriends and I stayed in a 2 bed apartment for 3 nts in October 2011. The location was great but that is about all I can say good about it. It was next to a construction site, so despite being told construction didn't start till 8am, the noise started really early with workers and trucks arriving earlier and went till 7pm so whilst we were not in the room much, it meant we could not relax after a day out or have an afternoon nap which we needed due to lack of sleep - A bar downstairs (not part of the hotel) meant cigarette smoke and noise from band and people. The smoke was unbearable in our room. The noise went till 1.30am. Then it was the garbage trucks at 2am and 4am each night. So there was not much sleep. The sofa bed was a disgrace to sleep in sot he occupier now has to pay for a chiropractor to fix the damage. As for the room - whilst it may have been cleaned it did not feel like it. It was very run down, needed a good paint, and the carpet was badly stained which made it feel dirty. The curtains were really dirty, I didn't feel like touching them. The room had not been vaccumed around the edges of the carpet next to the walls I'd say since the hotel opened. There were stains and marks on the walls. The cutlery and glasses in the kitchenette were dirty, as was the inside of the fridge. There was no dishwashing powder for the dishwasher. There was mould on the ceiling particularly in the bathroom. There was also a dirty towel left in the bathroom by the previous occupiers and not removed by the cleaners. I did research the hotel before booking and there were some favourable and non favourable comments but I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It seems the photos on the website have been taken many years ago or taken in a way that made it look cleaner, newer and tidier. Don't stay there. It spoilt our weekend away!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
herolbk, General Manager at BreakFree Heritage on Little Bourke, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback.
We note your comments regarding the housekeeping issues of your room and do apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay.
Due to the high standards required of our contract cleaning company, this is a big concern to us.
We have forwarded your comments to the housekeeping department to ensure that our required standards of cleanliness are being met at all times.
We are only sorry to did not contact us after you checked in – so we could have rectified the situation immediately, as there clearly were major issues in that room.

The construction works next door were posted on all web sites late June – this was the time when we were informed what was going to happen
in Little Bourke street during the next months
The noises from garbage trucks and the bar are unfortunately noises that cannot be avoided, being located in the heart of the city.
But we do our best to control them and make sure operators apply o the rules.

Once again, we do apologize for your unfortunate stay, rest assured that we do what we can to get it right

General manager
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel early September. The location is perfect, close to shopping, trams, casino, sporting precinct and fed square. We had a one bedroom apartment which had a separate living area and kitchenette. Great if you want that little bit of extra room. If you can cope with the noise of the construction site next door it's the perfect place to stay!!! Also the hotel has no parking facilities so we had to park at the golden square parking facility which is approx a ten minute brisk walk away. They gave us a reduced rate of $24 a day but you can only leave the parking lot once and then they charge you for another 24 hours. All in all it was a nice place to stay an I would definitely say it was worth the $99!!!!

• Stayed September 2011
herolbk, Manager at BreakFree Heritage on Little Bourke, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regards to your recent stay.
We're very happy that you had an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,
Dean Wilkinson
Acting General Manager
Breakfree Heritage
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Brilliant location right next to major shopping and eating. Our room overlooked the building site next door but it didn't worry us as the work didn't commence until 7.30 - 8.00am, and finished by 6.00pm, amd we were out of the room most of the day enjoying Melbourne. Room could have been a little cleaner, especially the bathroom, and the pillows were hard - my husband bought a new pillow at Myer because the others were so hard they gave him a headache! As we only paid $99 per night, we were very happy with the accomodation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
herolbk, General Manager at BreakFree Heritage on Little Bourke, responded to this review, September 18, 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback
We note your comments about the bathroom - and have forward them to our contract cleaning company - to ensure that high standards are met at all times,
I am sure we would have been able to help you with another pillow.
The staff is only to happy to accommodate our guests as best as they can.

Kind Regards
Marian Ettakadoumi

Been to BreakFree Heritage on Little Bourke? Share your experiences!