“Excellent for what we needed - clean, comfy and modern” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tune Hotel - Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Tune Hotel - Melbourne to your Saves list
Tune Hotel - Melbourne
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   609 Swanston Street | Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia (Carlton)   |
Ranked #38 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent for what we needed - clean, comfy and modern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

We visited Melbourne for the long weekend and wanted somewhere near the city so we could put our feet up between events, shopping and meals. Tune was perfect - modern, friendly clean and equipped with comfy beds!! We had no problems with noise and we're happy with the proximity to the city. My boyfriend would have preferred a bit more space as he likes to throw his clothes around, but otherwise no complaints.

The price was extremely good for the quality. Thank you, Tune!

• Stayed June 2014
NathanCopsey, General Manager at Tune Hotel - Melbourne, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Hi MaxPower_and_Juju,

Thanks for your review! Glad you enjoyed the location and value for money! That's 2 of our main aims.

Nathan Copsey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed few tune hotels overseas so far the room and the bathroom melbourne is the bigger amongst them. Love the reception area, outdoor siting area and the laundry area. There is water dispenser in the laundry. Booked through American Express website and include the towels and tv etc. we stayed on Sunday, and street parking are free. About 15-20 min walk to the cbd shopping area. Would definitely recommend this hotel, it's clean, modern.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
NathanCopsey, General Manager at Tune Hotel - Melbourne, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Hi Gotmymail,

Thanks for your review. We appreciate feedback from all our guests.

Glad you enjoyed our bathrooms and the whole stay, we love to hear that!

Can't wait to see you again at Tune Melbourne

Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Friendly and helpful staffs.
Room is small but its clean, tidy, and comfort.
Hotel facilities are shared (laundry, computer, drink water), located at ground floor, simple and nice.
Public parking is just in front the hotel, very convenience.

Room Tip: Try to book earlier, you may get a better price.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi LoganWeng,

Thanks for your kind words. In regards to your room tip to "book earlier, you may get a better price" this is definitely the way to go!

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We stayed in this hotel at the end of May (23rd to 29th). We booked a few months ago and we found it to be a very good choce in expensive melbourne cbd. It worked out to be 75aud per night inclusive of tv, towels & amenities and wifi. This is for 2 adults and a child, so it VERY good value indeed.
The location is great, with the tram stop (Queensberry/Swanston st) diagonally across the hotel. We used the tram everywhere we went & found it very convenient. But take note, this isn't the free city circle tram. The free hotel transfer service from Southern Cross station drops you off at the building in front of the hotel.
The staff who greeted us on check-in was a pleasant young man as well as the lady who checked us out (even the cleaning staff were friendly). We only encountered one unhelpful front desk staff, and definitely, management must make sure ALL staff are helpful and friendly to all guests.
The room we were given was clean & spacious enough to fit 2 large suitcases and leave space for us to walk around. Toilet & shower were both clean.
The laundry room on the ground floor is heaven sent - $4 per wash & $1 per 20minutes of drying. As you can see from the pictures I included in this review, Tune hotel is new & clean.
This would be my 1st choice when we come back to melbourne

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hi wandermum,

Thanks for your review. We encourage everyone to book early to get the best rates, sounds like you did exactly this!

Hope to see you again on your return to Melbourne.

jb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

tram is just mins away ! you may purchase the Tram ticket at reception too. so convenient ! 1omins away from QV chinatown too ! Amazing experience in Melbourne, nice clean convenient hotel, a must go again !

Room Tip: all ! we stay at 528, its just so beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hi kimlim,

Thanks for your review! Glad you had a 'cool' stay, that's definitely what we like to hear! You obviously enjoyed our fantastic location as well.

Hope to see you again soon!

Tuross Head
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I'm currently staying at the Melbourne Tune Hotel. The location is great, the staff member who checked me in was very friendly. I'd had a very long day and appreciated the attention. The room is decorated in my favourite colours. My only gripe is THERE'S NOWHERE TO PUT YOUR CLOTHES. I am staying for five nights and have no drawers or wardrobe. There is a rack with five coat hangers and that's it. In a hotel of this standard I would have thought that this was a basic consideration when building the hotel. I have looked at the other reviews here and no one else has complained about this major bungle. I have my clothes on the bed as I'm staying by myself. I just wonder why there's no storage. There's a whole alcove where I'm sure a wardrobe could have been included. Or even some shelving wouldn't have gone astray. Very strange to say the least.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Hi BigJ581,

Thanks for your kind words about our staff.

In reference to storage space, as our rooms aren't as big as others we have employed some space saving techniques in the room to help with storage. You have already mentioned the hangars on the wall. There is also plenty of room under the bed to fit your bag (or you can use the luggage rack provided). We also find the shelf above the bed is very handy to put any items on, they are out of the way up there.

Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I had pre-purchased my booking with full appreciation for the core concept of Tune Hotel - you pay for only what you need. The room and the facilities are new, clean and modern - which was all great.

The biggest disappointment and reason for my review, however, is with the same bare minimum approach to the service of the reception. Taking initiative was a foreign concept. For example, prior to my arrival I had asked for advice on the way from the Southern Cross Station to Tune. A nameless person advised there would be free shuttle service by Sky Bus "depending on the time you arrive." I must admit, I was quite curt and bratty in my reply to this (which wasn't called for and for which I apologised!). It just pushed the wrong buttons because it seemed like such a lazy response and the failure to think on one's feet so apparent!

By virtue of being in the service industry at an allegedly decent establishment, I would have thought the reception would like to make the trip TO the hotel as easy as possible - not just for their sake but also for your experience of the visit. I don't think it was too demanding or over the top of me to have expected that the reception would take initiative by asking just that one further question about intended arrival time (especially since I had already purchased early check-in) and provide info on the operating hours for the hotel shuttle service. I would do this for my clients. It clearly was not that hard given the info was begrudgingly given when pushed.

The blank look I got when I asked about how to catch a tram and where the nearest tram stop was, was also astonishing. Again, no further questions were asked on where I was intending to head, then providing how I could get there etc. It may be a banal question and obvious to them since they work / live in Melbourne, but for a tourist/foreigner it would be reassuring to have assistance and reassurance. Not every city in the world has trams.

In an ideal world, obviously I would have figured these things out on my own and not have to have bothered the staff. But by circumstance, I simply had not had the time to and therefore reached out to the staff for their expertise. My annoyance emanate primarily from each time as if pulling teeth for everything and not understanding why certain service industry professionals cannot fathom the concept of trying to make your guests/clients' experience as easy as possible to the best of one's abilities.

I chose Tune over others that I had previously booked because of the good reviews, especially of the staff. Unfortunately, I did not receive that reputed level of service and instead something that really did sour my whole stay (beginning even before I had arrived in the country).

On the upside, Siobhan was lovely and another female staff member at reception seemed to be more joyful and helpful upon observation of her interactions with other guests. The lobby area is nicely kept and the location of the Hotel is fantastic. All that aside though, I doubt I will frequent another Tune Hotel anywhere unless I absolutely must.

ps. FYI on the hotel shuttle service for those that may arrive at dusk/cloak of the night - by verbatim courtesy of Cameron at reception in a concise, an almost underhanded F-You:

From skybus.com:
SkyBus Hotel Transfer Service operates:

§ Monday to Friday: 06:00 – 22.30
§ Saturday, Sunday: 07.30 – 17.30

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
NathanCopsey, General Manager at Tune Hotel - Melbourne, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Hi gogo124,

Thanks for your review.

Sorry to hear you didnt receive the service you expected from some staff members. This is very strange to hear as all I seem to get is good feeback about them.

I hope you give us another chance to make your next stay enjoyable.

Many Thanks

Nathan Copsey

Been to Tune Hotel - Melbourne? Share your experiences!