A group of us converged from all points of Eastern Aus and as far away as NZ to celebrate with a friend turning 50 in late August 2012. We had a 3b/r apartment on the 1st floor, with about 7 of us staying at any one time.
Reception staff were friendly and helpful, and the apartment was fantastic. Spacious, funky decor, comfy beds and well appointed kitchen - as well as being so close to everything in the CBD. Across the road at the foodcourt in Collins place, we had the most delicious and reasonably priced brekky each morning while the girls utilised the free wifi to sync their gadgets and plan the shopping assault lol.
On the downside, having only 1 bathroom between that many women, meant it took a loooong time for everyone to get out the door each morning, although the separate toilet was a consolation. Being on the first floor, it was very very noisy through the night and in the early hours of the morning with the constant stream of delivery trucks and garbage trucks. I was in the back bedroom, and between the noisy aircon units outside the window, and the truck noise at the front, it wasn't the most peaceful sleep. I would take the advice of other posters in this forum and request a higher room, or one at the back if I went back.
Probably the biggest negative though, was the basement hot tub/spa. 3 of us decided to go down and enjoy a spa to unwind after a hard days shopping, but after a very short time, we were so overcome by the chlorine fumes, we had to retreat as our eyes were really burning. It soon became apparent how strong it actually was - my 9ct gold toe ring melted right off, followed a day later by the skin on my feet. My brand new swimsuit was completely bleached, despite washing it immediately to get rid of the chlorine. One of the other ladies was unwell for the remainder of the day, and the day after, due to the fumes. It was really disappointing that we all couldn't enjoy that facility.
Those things aside, I'd definitely stay here again, the price and location, as well as the good sized kitchen all tick the right boxes. The apartments had a really good feel, and it was delightful to sit on the little balcony, enjoying a beautiful coffee from the tiny coffee shop next door, and watching the beautifully dressed people of Melbourne heading to work.
Higher floors or rooms at the back would be a better pick if available. If doing a trip with friend...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear Michelle B,
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Punthill Manhattan.
The chlorine level in the spa pool is maintained by a chemi-gen unit which regulates the chlorine level, and we cannot explain why you had such a severe reaction. We have brought this matter to the attention of our spa maintenance company.
We do encourage our guests to contact our staff at the property if any concerns arise so that we can rectify them immediately.
We are very pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed the facilities, staff and location of Punthill Manhattan, and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the future.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.