“Very nice studio” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks On William

You added Oaks On William to your Saves list
Oaks On William
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 William Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer and Save!
Ranked #17 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Quebec City, Canada
“Very nice studio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Brand new complex in very nice location walking distance of everything. We had a very nice studio with nice view at higher level. The staff at reception were all friendly ang gave us excellent advises on what to visit in Melbourne. We felt in love with Melbourne and the Hotel, so we extended our stay by 3 nights at the same great special rate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Manager W, Front Office Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback on your recent stay. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at Oaks on William and that my staff was able to provide excellent advice for your visit in Melbourne. I am also glad you choose to extend your stay with us to explore Melbourne further. Thank you again and hope you and your family have a great Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Wife and I stayed in a Studio Apartment (with view) for eight nights.
Very new. Clean, comfortable, good layout, balcony with great view across Flagstaff Gardens, no restaurant but nice little cafe open morning and afternoon, helpful staff, fitness centre and laundry. Walking distance to CBD, Victoria Market, Melbourne University, Royal Melbourne Hospital. Trams (including free city loop) and trains almost on the doorstep.
Not inexpensive, but very, very good.

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit extra for view across Flagstaff Gardens.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you found your room very clean, comfortable and had a great view of Flagstaff Gardens. My staff and myself take pride in the service which we provide and I am glad that you get to experience it during your stay. My team and I would certainly hope to welcome you back in the near future and thank you again for your feedback.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights this week. Our room was on 19th floor with fabulous views over the park to the river and beyond. The room was very modern with what appeared to be brand new facilities and equipment. We felt like it was a bargain for the price of $238 for 2 nights. Free city circle tram just outside. Brother Browns below was really good and handy for a late lunch too.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Manager W, Front Office Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for providing your kind feedback following your recent stay with us at Oaks on William. I am pleased to hear that you found your room had a fabulous view over the park and beyond. Our hotel located about two minutes walk from the Free City Circle Tram which provide a wonderful access around the city. We certainly look forward to your next visit and wishing you and your family a Happy 2014.
Daegu, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've been to this neat, trendy hotel a week ago. Our room was comfy and clean. My hub and I was quite satisfied with conditions of room. The reason that I gave only 3stars on this hotel which has many pros, the guy at the front desk. He made a mistake while checking in. but never apologized. I dont think that he knows the word, "Sorry". Except for that, most things were close to be perfect.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us in regards to your recent stay. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of customer service so I am very sorry to hear of your negative experience. If you would like to discuss this further, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on FOMWilliam@theoaksgroup.com.au. Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope we can welcome you back next time.
Coolum Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Made my booking in advance, great deal 5 nights free upgrade 17 th floor , freshly renovated, everything new , the best view off our floor lots of light hot sunny days Melbourne turned on fantastic days. staff friendly, gym is good 15 min work to the Queen Victoria Markets, trams just out side ,Skybus will pick up good service. Oaks on Williams clean friendly worth staying longer next time.

Room Tip: Ask for garden view and room 1770 view is great
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time providing a feedback for your recent stay at Oaks on William. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location provided easy access to some of Melbourne famous attractions. I will certainly pass on your feedbacks to my staff and we hope to welcome you back next time. Thank you again and Warm holiday wishes.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Ok, so I don’t usually write reviews but thought I would in this case.

I stayed at Oaks on William for 2 weeks in November, in a studio apartment overlooking Flagstaff Park (15th Floor).
I've read a number of reviews saying the view wasn't all that, all I can say is those people should have looked up. As well as the park directly below, you also have a great view over the city and docklands. Which is particularly stunning at sunrise/sunset.
The room itself was lovely, nicely decorated… apart from the ceiling, which was bizarre… almost like it had been forgotten. The kitchen is fully equipped with a fridge, oven, microwave and dishwasher. You are also provided with dishwasher powder and washing up liquid each time the room is serviced. One thing I will say about the appliances is the lights on them are quite bright so if you need complete darkness to sleep, you may need to cover these. You are given the basic utensils, which suited me fine as I only really ate breakfast in the apartment. If you're looking to cook a 3 course meal then yes, you will probably have to go out and buy more but there are so many nice places to eat out so why bother! There is room service available, which you can order online or over the phone, as well as selecting when you would like your order delivered - perfect when you've been on a tour all day and want your dinner as soon as you get in! The food isn't amazing, its not by any means bad, you get what you pay for really.
If you are planning on spending a lot of time in your room then either go for the bigger suites or go somewhere else. It has the all the basics you need for an apartment in a city (That's right, City - so go explore!). For me, I spent most of my time out of the room so for somewhere to sleep, shower and relax in for short periods, it was perfect.
Also, the staff are very friendly and helpful. A credit to the hotel.
In terms of issues or rather annoyances… the doors on each of the rooms are very loud when being opened and closed. Most mornings I was woken up by my neighbours leaving for the day.
Housekeeping was completed early in the morning, so if I did fancy longer in bed, I had to go without bins being emptied etc.
The Wifi charges. This was an issue and a big one for me. You get 30mins of continuous use of Wifi free a day. After that you have to buy a package. The prices were not reasonable and most were based on continuous use, which isn't helpful, for anyone. Free Wifi is a very common thing nowadays and in my opinion should be standard. Luckily many of the shops, restaurants, pubs and public areas have caught onto this so you can avoid paying by just going to these places.

Ok, logistics. If you leave the hotel, head left and then left again down La Trobe St, follow the road for about 10 minutes, on your right will be a shopping centre. This has a Coles (equivalent to Tesco) so you can stock up on all the important items, right next door to this is a liqourland so you can stock up on the essential items! If you are looking for a cheap way to stay in contact with people then whilst you're in the shopping centre, pop to Opus and pick up a pay as you go sim card. You can get calls, messages and data for just $2 a day. Also, whilst you are in the centre, look out for a Myki sign. This is the equivalent to the Oyster Cards in London. Get them as pay as you go and you can top them up in any of the stations. This makes getting back to the hotel easy as the train station entrance is right by Coles or you can just step outside and hail one of the many taxi's driving past. As well as this shopping centre, there are 7 Elevens pretty much on every block where you can buy your basics.

Just outside the hotel are two tram stops - one for the free city loop tram, you can just jump on this and it will take you to most places you need (it’s the maroon coloured one), for the other trams, these take you to various different places depending on which number you get on and you can use you Myki card for payment.
These is also Flagstaff train station just across the road if you're not keen on the trams!
I have to say though, everything is in walking distance. You can walk to Federation square in 20-30mins. This is surrounded by lots of touristy places. If you cross the river from there you can visit the Casino and many lovely restaurants. Plenty to do and see in this area.
I mostly used cabs if I was too lazy to walk as they are everywhere and occasionally the train when travelling out of the city.

All in all, not only was the hotel perfect for me, Melbourne is full of interesting places to see and the people are extremely friendly. Book it and enjoy it.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for a view of the park
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Hotel Manager W, Front Office Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for taking your time writing a review on your recent stay with us at Oaks on William. I am delighted to read that you enjoy your overall experience and found our studio park room met your expectation. I am also happy to hear that my Front Office team were friendly and helpful during your stay.

I have passed your feedbacks to our relevant departments in regards to the door noises, as well as servicing of the room. I will also pass your feedback to our room service provider.

As always, guest’s feedbacks are invaluable for us and thank you again for taking your time. My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks on William in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Hotel is new but if you don't pay for a park view upgrade you will be given a room round the back which is surrounded by numerous apartment towers which block out all direct sunlight - a 10min reflection of sunlight off another tower is the only light my room got! Apart from needing lights on at all times the fit out was ok, bed was pretty cheap though and already had a huge groove which required me to sleep the other way around, feet first. Internet is $10 per hour for wifi which is ridiculous in 2013 and disgusting for a brand new hotel which has been NBN Fibre enabled (which is just switched off!) TV was ok, some Foxtel channels but many were just blank screen... Overall I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Park view rooms whilst expensive, will give you natural light which is essential!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking your time to comment on your recent stay with us at Oaks on William. I am sorry to hear that your stay in our Studio room has not met your standard. Our Studio Park view room can be booked prior to arrival and the rate is around $20 more then our studio room.

We believe in giving our guests the best available room rates comparing to our competitors who might have included internet costs within their room rate; Due to this we have opt for our guest to either use or not use this internet service to keep our price competitive.

I am disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectation. If you wish to discuss further in regards to your recent stay, please don’t hesitate to email me directly at FOMWilliam@theoaksgroup.com.au.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Oaks On William? Share your experiences!