“busy but inviting atmosphere and good food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #211 of 4,089 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Messy Greek street food that matches your drinks – experience GAZI in Melbourne’s CBD Want edgy? Want rough? Want fun? GAZI is here.Named after and inspired by an eclectic neighbourhood surrounding an old gasworks in Athens, GAZI is a Greek restaurant in Melbourne CBD where anything goes.From the ink-splattered walls to industrial steel benches, GAZI is a no-frills, no-fuss bar-slash-Greek-restaurant where you can drink, eat and let loose – without the rules.Want to book? You can. Booking not your thing? Just rock up.We don’t mind what you do, as long as you get stuck into our impressive range of sensational cocktails. As the latest venture of renowned Greek chef and restaurateur George Calombaris, we offer a pretty impressive range of Greek food, too. So while you’re here, get your hands dirty with our tasty Greek street food – designed to soak up the alcohol while you soak up the fun. Join us and get lost in the cool and carefree atmosphere of the most eccentric neighbourhood in Greece, without leaving Melbourne’s CBD.
“busy but inviting atmosphere and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

If you order the banquet make sure you are very hungry, so much beautiful food keeps coming out.
It is modern Greek with a twist, who would have thought of a soft shelled crab souvlaki?
I wouldn't go there for a romantic dinner for two, but for a group of friends or family gathering it is perfect, funky industrial decor, great food, although very noisy.
We had good service and enjoyed the meal, it is not cheap but I was happy with the experience, and would go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“Well cooked tasty food but not the best value in Greek banquets.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I had dinner here last night and left a little disappointed. I didn't feel like I got good value for money. My meal cost $50 for a banquet that didn't even include any lamb! The donut dessert was average and there should have been a second choice. Very small serve of swordfish. A bowl of ice berg lettuce should not be treated as a course in itself..it's just a cheap side dish.. Having voiced my disappointment about what I didn't get, I will say what I did eat was beautiful.The dips were delicious, the chicken succulent and the swordfish cooked perfectly. The chips were oily but moreish with the feta. I also don't really like dining at places with time limits either. Overall very well cooked and tasty food but not great value.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Good food, bad ambience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Went there for lunch today with a group from work. The food was good, although a little over-priced, the service was OK although I couldn't hear a word the waitress said, and therein is Gazi's major problem. It is way too noisy. I couldn't conduct a conversation with the person sitting beside or opposite me because the noise level was just over-powering. I don't get this apparent trend where restaurateurs think that noisy is desirable. I won't be going back there and I can not recommend it to anyone.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Overpriced and Rude service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I had heard great reviews about Gazi and gave it a try a couple of weeks ago.
sad to say I was disappointed by the rude waiter we had on our table. He didn't offer any advice or suggestions of food to order and made sure to remind us twice that our table was only booked for 2 hours and we needed to hurry up if we wanted to finish in time.
The food itself was oily, over priced for what it was.
I wouldn't eat here again.

Hobart, Australia
“Great decor, ambience and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Having enjoyed the Press Club previously, we were taken by surprise at the change to a very different décor, with the terracotta pots hanging upside down from the ceiling in waves. It was most interesting, probably as a sound dampener. The atmosphere was great, quite noisy but enjoyable. Four of us shared several plates, including dips, bread, duck, beef and crab souvlakis, grilled chicken, and chips, and what chips they were! We enjoyed the different sorbets and good coffee to complete a good meal.
Our meals were all a decent size and interesting tastes, all good.
We accompanied this with a very pleasant bottle of Victorian wine, Italian style.
The service was good as one would expect in a restaurant of this standing. We shall certainly revisit another time.

• Visited November 2013