“Sensational Food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 4,075 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Ombra Salumi Bar is based on the ideals of preservation and enjoyment. Inspired by the ‘Salumerie’ of Italy Ombra will focus on delivering highest quality cured meats. This preservation refers to the produce as well as the preservation of lifestyle and culture. This makes the most of nature’s abundance by using techniques that for centuries have prolonged nature’s bounty through processes like drying, smoking, salting, fermenting, pickling and candying.
Wellington, New Zealand
“Sensational Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great food done well! The waiting staff really know their wine which was very helpful when you are unfamiliar with Australian/Italian wine

Visited April 2014

Melbourne, Australia
“Yum! Yum! Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Recommended for lunch by a colleague, I was pleasantly surprised to find a menu full of delicious looking things. Too many to choose so we asked our waiter to bring us a selection and everything was great - from the cured meats, to the marinated sardines, grilled lamb ribs, meatballs to die for and yummy pizza. Oh - and they have a great wine list. Oh - and it's very reasonably priced and the service is good.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I wandered up Bourke Street with my stepson on a Sunday afternoon during a visit to Melbourne raving about the magnificent spaghetti I'd had on my last trip at Cellar Door, I could practically taste the amazing flavours when I saw it was closed.
After I had composed myself and dried my eyes, I noticed the quaint little salumi bar Ombra open next door. We took a table for two and ordered some cured meats, the special of the day lasagne and a beautiful rocket and parmesan salad. The food was amazing, the service and atmosphere was so homely and friendly and we loved watching all the pedestrians walk past the window, notice all the cakes on display and come back for a second look. Dessert would have been on the agenda but we were just so full. Ombra is a must do, when you are in Melbourne and enjoy a glass of the house red or two, I certainly did.

Visited April 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Great food and relaxed, rustic charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

We didn't arrive til 10pm on Saturday night and we're told by our waiter that Ombra stays open til 1am if there are still customers. That relaxed approach to time, the rustic feel to the decor, the other parties eating and having a good time til late, and the excellent food and wine all add to the authentic Mediterranean feel to the place. Our waiter was pleasant, knowledgeable and charming. Ombra is not a cheap feed, but for something special I would highly recommend.

Visited May 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Nive atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We dropped in for lunch on a Saturday and were lucky to get the last table. The waitress talked us through the menu, gave us suggestions and was fantastic.Their pizza is fantastic: thin crust, savoury tomato sauce and delicious cheese on top. A nice selection of wines by the glass complements the offering. All in all a cracking little gem!!

• Visited January 2014