“Melbourne in spring” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 192 activities in Melbourne
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Full and half day birding tours out of Melbourne, Australia. Small/private groups with all birding levels catered for. Friendly, personalized service which includes all meals and hotel pickups and drop offs. A professional, knowledgeable guide with a passion for all Australian wildlife. Tours can be customized to your needs or to target specific species. Use of a Swawovski spotting scope, field guides and binoculars.
Stockholm, Sweden
“Melbourne in spring”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Found myself working in Melbourne for two weeks, I'd never birder Australia before so I gathered that some help could be used. Contacted Paul, and had him guiding for two days. I just loved it. Very pro,very amicable, very good. Highly recommended.

Visited October 2013
Paul H, Owner at Melbourne Birding Tours, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Glad to help, thanks for the great review

Mersea Island, United Kingdom
“Bee-eater hunt.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Contact was made with Paul prior to my trip. And i asked for his help in finding my target bird,The Rainbow bee-eater. He was so very proffesional and enthusiastic, His local knowledge and great bird skills helped me see the Bee-eaters. He had done his Homework and within 1 hour i had seen and photographed them, leaving the rest of the day for Paul to find and show me another 102 species of bird. A trurly amazing days birding was had one that i will never forget. And this was all thanks to a great and smashing Guide Paul Hackett at Melbourne birding tours.

Visited October 2013
It was a pleasure finding that Rainbow Bee-eater, glad you had such a great day!
Toowoomba, Australia
“A Wonderful Day Birding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I recently went on a Birding tour with Paul. The day was windy and cold, and there were a few short periods of rain. But in spite of this we had a wonderful day at Werribee and the You Yangs and were able to see a total of 91 bird species. Highlights were a pair of Brolgas, Horsfields Cuckoos, a PacificGull, Purple-Crowned Lorikeets, Red-necked Avocets and four species of wren. Paul was a friendly and knowledgeable guide who endeavoured to take personal birding requests into account. He takes much joy in locating elusive Crakes. Make sure you ask him to find you one on your tour!

Visited August 2013
Thanks for your great review, glad we found those crakes!
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“Great day of birding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I had a day available for birding during a family visit to Melbourne. Werribee was a famous birding site I had never seen, but August is not the best for waders, one of my favourite groups. I contacted Paul at Melbourne Birding and arranged a day to visit the eucalypt woodlands in the You-Yangs and then the rest of the day at Werribee.

It turned out to be a fantastic day of birding for several reasons: the birds, the knowledgeable guide and the locations.

It started with a variety of honeyeaters, Swift Parrots and Purple-fronted Lorikeets in the flowering eucalypts, courting Mistletoebirds in the mistletoe, cryptic Tawny Frogmouths, and brilliant Flame Robins in the You-Yangs. Like any good day of birding we did try for a few things and miss them even though they had been seen recently. To me, this just increases the pleasure of seeing them in the future.

The logistics worked seamlessly, coffee, a good lunch, snacks as needed, allowing us to focus on birds and chatting about birds (identification, distribution, behaviour), conservation, travels and life in Victoria.

Even before we arrived in Werribee the raptors were obvious, then a pair of Brolgas, and then the waterfowl started. Black Swans and more Black Swans, then teal. I wanted to stop and scope so I could see some Pink-eared Ducks. Okay, but I was alerted that we would see them closer later. But there were a 1000 or so sitting, here why not take a look? We did, also a couple of Pied Oystercatchers and pelicans. An hour or so later, there were thousands of Pink-eared Ducks, more pelicans, more swans, more teal. As we proceeded from pond to pond the mix of species varied, mostly Hardheads with a few Australian Shovelers, then mostly Musk Ducks and Blue-billed Ducks, one pond had a dozen Freckled Ducks in amongst a few thousand other ducks, and then as we left one pond with all Pacific Black Ducks and swans. In almost every pond Hoary-headed Grebes. As counterpoint we tracked down Little Grassbirds chasing each other, a Fairy Martin or two among the hundreds of Welcome Swallows, a couple of great views of why they are called Golden-headed Cisticolas (with an aside on the pronunciation), a pair of Cape Barren Geese and a good look at the elusive Australasian Bittern.

As we headed to a good spot for crakes, it started to rain and by the time we were there, it rained. A sensible decision: reflect upon and enjoy the great birding from early morning to late afternoon and head back to Melbourne. It rained and it poured as we passed the homeward bound commuters. I sensed that Paul and I were looking back on a day with far more satisfaction than they were.

David McCorquodale, Georges River (near Sydney), Nova Scotia, Canada

Visited August 2013
It was an excellent day birding, David, thanks for the lovely review.
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Birding at Short Notice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I contacted Paul after finding myself in Melbourne for a few days on business. Fortunately he was able to accommodate me on a tour at short notice, given my limited availability. I had a great day visiting the You Yangs and then the Water Treatment Plant. We saw over 80 bird species despite the short winter day, including some excellent raptor viewing. Paul had tasty food and coffee available for the occasional break, and was interesting to converse with throughout the day. I would have no hesitation in using Paul again, and hope I get the opportunity to do so!

Visited July 2013
Glad to help, Neal, hope you can get back to Melbourne again.