“Gorgeous Melbourne Afternoon Dining” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hooks @ The Yarra

Hooks @ The Yarra
50 River Esplanade, Yarra's Edge | Docklands, Melbourne, Victoria 3008, Australia
03 9043 4221
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #569 of 3,967 restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian, Contemporary, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
australia
“Gorgeous Melbourne Afternoon Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had read reviews of this restaurant and seen it before, so put it on the list of places to try on our 3-day stay in the city. We strolled leisurely down by the South Wharf restaurants, under the bypass and around the corner to this surprising gem of a place!
Completely forgot to take photos as we were SO relaxed! My husband ordered the Gnocchi with blue cheese sauce. It arrived and was also surrounded by a tomato puree so made a lovely presentation. And it was YUM! I am such a fan of calamari when it's fresh and well prepared. Was deliciously crisp on the outside, beautifully tender within and the garlic aoli with a squeeze of lemon was outstanding. We each had a glass of wine, looked at the boats on the marina and thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon.
We spied some others on the outside tables having bowls of prawns with a glass of wine and knew we would have to come back!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
Melbourne, Australia
“O M G Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The service was excellent service spot on right down to wiping the table after they had taken the soiled dishes away they never intruded but kept asking if we needed anything and was everything alright
We found it a little out of our normal way but it most certainly not now

• Visited March 2013
Mordialloc, Australia
“Good value and great river views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was diiner after a river/bay yacht cruise of about two hours, so we approached with low expectations of a cheap, group dining type meal and were more than pleasantly surprised at the result. The restaurant is smallish, but neat, well laid out with space between tables. The menu that we had to choose from was more than reasonable with plenty of choice. My calamari entree was very good, crisp and tasty calamari on fresh salad, the saganaki eater pronounced it OK but maybe a bit too much. The mussell eater was overwhelmed at the size of the serving and the soupiness of it, but he pronounced it OK. Main courses were good my prawn and chilli pizza was well presented, well cooked and very tasty and both the seafood risotto and the two marinaras were given big ticks. The wine selection was fine and the pricing quite good. Not fine dining but a nice restaurant in a great spot by the river serving good food and offering good value.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Athens, Greece
“Great marinara!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had a dinner there with my friend while visiting Melbourne. The restaurant has a nice and romantic location next to the river, and is cozy. I had a marinara, which was excellent (including the delicious seafood) and my friend had fish and chips, which was the best I have tried so far. The staff was nice and polite. Overall, greatly recommended!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne, Australia
“What awesome delicious food !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband took me here for a surprise Valentine's Day Dinner..... we were greeted by a smile and shown to our seats.... we sat outside, admiring the views, boats and beautiful warm evening. The customer service for all the waiters/waitresses, was brilliant. The prices was really good. The food was mouth watering and fresh.... I had Bluff Oysters from NZ and they were flown in the day before from NZ. The oysters were huge.... My husband seafood Vol-au-vents ... he loved it. He also had a huge rib eye steak and said it was delicious.... I had a lobster Thermidor and so fresh... I then had a raspberry chocolate souffle.... You could also sit outside on huge beanbags which gives this restaurant a relaxed feel... Really loved the food... the atmosphere... customer service..... location.... and wine selection awesome...

• Visited February 2013