“Better than Expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Regis Griffin Suites

You added Park Regis Griffin Suites to your Saves list
Park Regis Griffin Suites
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   604 St Kilda Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly Oaks Griffin Suites)   |
Ranked #35 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
“Better than Expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed at the Park Regis in 2 rooms for 3 nights as we were attending a wedding in Melbourne. We flew into Melbourne on early flights, but unfortunately we couldn't get an early check in but we were able to leave our bags there. The girl did say that she would call us if the room was ready early but she never did in the end. The manager did say to us that he had only just taken over as manager and was 'still ironing out some issues', and I did see him there until late at night at the front desk.

There is a small cafe associated with the hotel which was open, does a nice breakfast and lunch - a big breakfast (toast, bacon, poached eggs, tomatoe, mushrooms and 2 small hashbrowns) was $12 and coffees about $3.50??. The lunch menu had a good selection, I'd recommend the steak sandwich. It wasn't open on Sunday though. It did serve alcohol, which was handy as there wasn't a bottleshop close by that we found.

We had a 2 bedroom apartments (rooms 101 and 202). They had a pullout sofa which was handy, but this was in the living room and the curtains didn't do much (apartments overlooked St Kilda Road). We also requested another bed as we didn't expect to have the pullout sofa, which was ready and made up in the room. The two bedrooms did have block out curtains and king size beds, and one had a TV. There was only 1 bathroom but it also had its own washing machine and dryer. There was also a packet of washing power on the vanity to use. The Kitchen was fine but we ate out most of the time anyway. The apartment was serviced daily and was clean and tidy. There was enough blankets for the cold weather, could have done with another few pillows though. The beds were comfortable enough. We hardly head any traffic noise though, sometimes the trams made some noise but not as much as I thought we were going to hear. We also had a TV with some austar channels and a DVD player in the apartment.

On the first night the heating didn't seem to be working but I didn't notice it after that. We had inhouse dry cleaning done which was great, reasonably priced, same day service if dropped off at 9am. We couldn't get a late checkout but they did let us extend it from 10am to 11.30am.

The tram stop 27 (High Street) or 28 is across the road from the hotel, very easy to get into town, get on a 3,5,16,64, 67 tram. If you have flown into Melbourne, catch the skybus to southern cross station, then get on a train to Flinders Street station and go across to Tram stop 13 (across swanson street, but on the river side of the station). This wasn't on the website when I looked for how to get there without a taxi or car so I thought I'd include it in here!

My one bad point would be that the car parking was terrible at the hotel. We parked the hire car out on the street during the time that we were there, over the weekend its free to park on the street, during the week you have to pay by the hour (one of us got a ticket). So if you don't need a hire car I would just stick with the public transport.

I had read some bad reviews of the Park Regis before we left and was worried it was going to be a bad stay, but overall it was a nice clean place to stay, the cafe was great and I would recommend it again.

• Liked — The Cafe downstairs and King Beds
  • Disliked — The Car Parking Situation!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

I am writing here my first review on Trip Advisor, I stay in various hotels throughout the year and for the first time ever feel compelled to write a review for the stay with my family at Park Regis Griffin Suites.

My wife and I booked four nights in a two bedroom apartment over the phone at this property. We firstly checked their website and also then called and rbooked our room which we confirmed would have one queen bed and two singles for our kids and a cot. The room was described as 4.5 star and we were told it was air conditioned.

Here is what happened.

We got to our room on Thursday afternoon to find none of the beds to be single beds and also no cot. We told the reception at 3pm that we were going into the city with our kids and would very much appreciate the single beds and cot to be done. She said she did not know why it had not been done and that it would be done within the hour.

We got back just after 8pm and in our room nothing had been done. It was also very cold so we thought to turn on the heating.
We rang reception and told the man that the beds were incorrect and that we needed a cot.
He came up and provided a cot and we told him to just get the beds sorted tomorrow as we would have our two girls share the one bed tonight.
We called reception again because at 9pm the room was still freezing cold. The man from reception who was quite helpful came up and tried to fix the problem but was unable to and offered us a new room. We then stayed in another room and went to reception in the morning to complain due to having to stay in a 1 bedroom apartment for the Thursday night as the heating did not work.

Oh, this will take to long to write down all the nightmares that
happened so I will try to be brief.

On Friday we spoke to the girl who told us she was the front office manager and she said she will have maintenance fix our room and our beds the way we wanted as singles for our girls and a cot.

Friday night was worse than Thursday. We got back from town at around 7pm and this time ofcourse nothing had been done or fixed in our room. We rang reception and demanded something be done, we did not want to risk out 18 month old boy to freeze in this room and it was just ridiculous.

My wife at this stage was in tears, the kids were distressed and the receptionist who was new tried to help with a sofa bed and did provide one portable heater that was a foot warmer heater not nearly big enough to heat up a bedroom. We asked for extra blankets and the reception told us there were none as the hotel was full. We froze that night and put up with it i have no idea why.

The next day, saturday, the front office manager was there and I told her how awful our stay has been and she said she would let the manager know.

We got on the phone to book another hotel when a man from maintenance arrived at our room. He had with him a oil heater which he turned on for us, it was from his own house and he actually told us the heating in the room we have does not work and cant be fixed. He was nice and it was his small oil heater he had brought from his house to help.

This was all to much for us so we asked to see the general manager when we went down to reception and guess what, the manager was already there and guess why, well there were more than four or five other guests waiting in line to complain.

Oh i forgot to tell you that the wife now had a bad cough and cold and the girls had sniffly noses.

The general manager was of no help and by this stage we had no choice but to leave. We paid and were not given a discount and I had to control my wife as she started crying and shouting, what a nightmare.

We found a Quest Hotel nearby and all finally went well, they had room that had heating.

I will never stay at Park Regis Griffin Suites ever again, it caused sickness and was unhealthy for kids.

It is no way a 4 star hotel more like a 2 star. The management were more than rude and careless. We had a nightmare and they did not care or follow up anything and I am telling you now that we were not the only ones that had a nightmare at this run down non caring hotel.

• Liked — That we left and found somewhere else
  • Disliked — to many to list, read my review
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Geelong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

We stayed at the Park Regis Griffin and found it be be an enjoyable place for a sojourn in Melbourne.
The location was excellent for access to the CBD of Melbourne by tram, and for exploring the wonderful shopping available in Prahran.
The room was clean and comfortable. There was a toaster, microwave/convection oven, an electric frypan and crockery and cutlery.
We had breakfast at the cafe downstairs, and recommend it highly- one of the best omelettes ever- and quite reasonably priced.
The complimentary bottle of wine promised at the booking was of good quality.
Car parking was included in the room cost, unlike most Melbourne hotels. The car park was a tight squeeze, so bring the sports car rather than the limo.
The hotel was a pleasant surprise after all the poor reviews on this website - i nearly cancelled the booking and was expecting the worst. I think it would be really good for an extended stay in Melbourne.

• Liked — Interesting location
  • Disliked — tight car park
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Karratha, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

I stayed here with my partner and another couple for 4 nights in March 07 and was happy with the appartment. Modern and clean (sounds like I got lucky). It was good having two bathrooms and the bedrooms on the opposite sides of the family area for a bit of privacy. Location ok as there was a tram stop outside. The bar could have been open longer hours tho.

• Liked — decent sized rooms
  • Disliked — bar being shut
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2007

I found this hotel with cheap rates on wotif.com, as well as being rated 4 and a half star.
It was ok, but I wouldnt not stay here again. I was on the 3rd floor and out of my window is a high rise car park. Early morning the cars screech as they tight turn in the car park. The dump master was collected at 1 am both nights and another at 5:30 am. Very noisy. Parking is limited and most parks only fit small cars. I had to park with my side morror touchign the side mirror of the car next to me.The bed was good and room clean, but it wa sa small room. Staff did not smile at all.

Stayed November 2007
Gold Coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

This was the worst Hotel I have ever stayed in my life. Would recommend that you save your money and stay at a hostel, as it would be cleaner. My family wanted to call a health and safety inspector. Mold every where and a terrible smell in every room. We viewed at least 3 rooms that were not acceptable. Parking impossible.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — All info available before going on stay was decieving and opposite
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2007

Nothing too fancy about this establishment. The room was adequate and comfortable. The bathroom was a little different. Almost reminded me about being at a hostpital.

The bed was fine but really nothing to add. The lobby was small and seemed dimly lit.

The only problem I had in my room on the first floor was the noise of the trucks at the crack of dawn. Unless you're a heavy sleeper, you'd hear it.

However, its close to transportation (tram line) and is clean.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Park Regis Griffin Suites? Share your experiences!