“Nothing was a problem for the friendly staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Warm Up For Winter
Ranked #26 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Canberra
“Nothing was a problem for the friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

Thanks to the Clarion for your friendly and prompt service. I recently travelled to Melbourne for a girls weekend away, my first trip to Melbourne. The Clarion was very very accomodating as the numbers of our group grew over a 2-3 day period. Nothing was a problem and as we had to check out in re-check in because of room changes at our request our bags were moved by the staff and kept safe in the room.
Even on our final checkout the hotel booked the free hotel shuttle (another great Melbourne service) and also looked after our bags until we were ready to depart the city. What fantastic service! I have already recommended you to my friends and will be back to stay there.
The staff were very knowledgeable and provided us with maps and directions of where to go and how to get there which was very helpful. There demeanour was professional and always friendly at all times. We were also provided with breakfast and drink vouchers too which was very nice.

Thanks for your outstanding customer service Clarion Gateway

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

675 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Turkish first
Cockatoo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

Had a great weekend staying at the Clarion. Staff were friendly and helpful. I love the separate bedroom for parents and how we weren't charged any extra for the foldout bed for our son. The room was clean, nicely furnished and comfortable. Breakfast, which was included, was great. Liked it that much that we have booked a room for later in the year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We just had a one night stay here, leaving our luggage with the hotel from very early on the day of our arrival and collecting it very late on the day of our departure. We chose a corner suite so that we could watch the firework display as recommended on the hotels website. Ermm, not quite what we expected, the fireworks are large flames coming out in a sycronized display. Not a good enough reason to book a corner suite as the display is much more impressive close up. We walked over and stood by the flames the next night before we caught our plane and enjoyed it much more.
Our suite was comfortable and clean enough but not sparkling clean. Room service was good, breakfast and evening meals being delivered promptly by pleasant ,curtious staff
Comfortable bed with clean fresh bedding, bathroom ok though a hair left in the bath was a bit off putting.
Staff quite happy to store all of our luggage on the days of our arrival and departure, they were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I stayed here with my partner in one of the One Bedroom Deluxe suites on the 10th floor, can I just say...INCREDIBLE VIEWS! But the thing that stood out the most were the unbelievably friendly and professional staff. Viviana, Julie, Thomas and Emily really are a credit to the company, I'd not be surprised if I stayed again and Thomas greeted me by name as soon as I walked in the door! I advise anyone wanting a romantic getaway to definitely consider the Clarion Suites Gateway. I'll be staying again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

My partner and I stayed here for his birthday for a relaxing night in the city and to sit back and watch some of their "new release in-house movies". We had a 1 Bedroom Riverview Deluxe Suite and paid the full rate direct through the hotel. For starters, the car park is dreadful, way too steep for most average cars. I do not reccommend it if you have your suspension modified in any way. We were allocated room 1121 on arrival, the room was okay and the view was fantastic. After ordering in dinner, we decided to start watching movies on the LCD TV which might I add is TINY, but to our disappointment the in-house movies function didnt work. So we called reception and asked for some assistance. They came to inspect and try to fix it. No luck, they went down to speak with the Manager then we received a telephone call saying it could not be fixed and we would have to just go without! We were not even offered another room which we would have been happy to move to. But this completely ruined our planned night in of relaxing watching movies. We were dissappointed with the service here and the fact our room wasnt in working order. If they advertise they have something, then they should have it. Perhaps they should check these things more often... apparently being 4.5 star rated the service definetely wasnt! the only compliment I have is for the room service...as the food was good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
CSGManagement, General Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this review, July 22, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our “Hotel Questionnaire” and most importantly for allowing us to be of service to you.
Your feedback is much appreciated as it makes it possible for our team to assess and monitor our service quality and performance.

Furthermore based on your critique we are able to review specific departmental operations and dedicate resources in areas that require more training, detailed structure, with the utmost view of offering more comfort and enhancing the levels of guest satisfaction whilst staying with us.

We subscribe to the principal of being honest and open, so that the spirit of service is achieved, by way of endeavouring to instil the appropriate service values in our team. Our primary objective is to fulfil and exceed your expectations.

Our commitment to you, our employees and the hotel industry, collectively as a whole, is to continually strive for progress in service standards, by changing the way we do things, where possible, which is further supported by your feedback.

Therefore, I do thank you for bringing to my attention the malfunctioning movie system as outlined in your communication. We do sincerely apologise that on this occasion your expectations were not fulfilled. Regrettably, the new pay movie system, Ezestream was commissioned a few months ago; unfortunately, we are experiencing IT compatibility issues with our TV system, in some of the suites.
Although we do recognize that this is no excuse, all pay movie systems, made available in hotels are provided by a vendor, as a result of licensing requirements. It has truly been a challenge for us in coming to a satisfactory resolution to date. However, we are hopeful that we will in due course resolve this matter.
Furthermore, we have due to popular guest demand, purchased for installation at our hotel, during September 2009, 42 inch (106cm) Philips HD LCD TV & IPod docking station units.

You’re comments inspire us to seek opportunities to serve you better, through innovation resulting in a quality outcome.

As a demonstration of our commitment to you and in the interest of quality service, I have for your enjoyment, mailed our Food & Beverage credit, to the value of $100 next time that we have the pleasure of your company.

I would like to thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.

Kind Regards,

Tony Cakmar
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

This hotel was fantastic, atmosphere was relaxing and friendly. Staff always very attentive. Parking the car in a secure park on the premises was great as we could leave it and then walk everywhere.Room was excellent, roomy , cosy and warm (wintertime), After walking around Melbourne, ( everything is within walking distance from the hotel or catch the tram or shuttle bus), Williams cafe and bar was a great place to hang out for hot chocolate and brownies and late night snacks-highly recommend the yum cha selection with a wine. Also great breakfast. I liked how we could order what we wanted without having to buy the big breakfasts packages that I would never be able to eat. Guess where I am going back to as soon as I can get another couple of days off? Yes the Clarion Gateways. I still need to explore more of my home town.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

I've now stayed twice at this Hotel once for business and more recently for leisure. It is in an excellent location just a short walk (15 or so minutes) from the CBD and a few blocks from the main convention centre. The tram is just a minute or so away to go to the Rod Laver Arena and Federation Square. Both times the room/s were spotless and the desk staff were polite, friendly and went out of their way to help. They contacted us when our rooms were ready so we could get early entry. On the last visit the main person on the service desk took the trouble to call us by name and was extremely helpful locating information and assisting with luggage etc.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Suites Gateway? Share your experiences!