“A reasonable hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Geelong, Australia
“A reasonable hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

I have had 2 stays at 2 different hotels in Melbourne recently. I'm surprised that the Clarion Suites currently rates better (by a few places) on tripadvisor compared to Mantra on Russell. My stay at Clarion Suites was ok; but not quite as good as Mantra on Russell. Here's why:

The carpark was a little scary - hard to maneouvre around and some steep bits.
The balcony in my room on the 17th floor was even scarier - it was about 1.5 x 1 metre and the floor was like a metal grate that you could see through... Also, the day I arrived, it was a very windy day, and there was a horrible high-pitched noise of the wind coming through a crack in the door to the balcony.
When I booked, I said a view would be nice - the view I got was a reflection of the Yarra and Crown in the window of a neighbouring buliding.
There was no bath in the room, and no spa in the pool area.
The room was fairly clean I guess - a few hairs and crumbs here and there. I have seen better attention-to-detail before. The cutlery wasn't entirely clean, chipped crockery, etc.
The room service food wasn't that great - limp salad with my steak; apple and berry crumble wasn't the best.
This can't be helped, but - I had noisy neighbours. I managed to get a good sleep though.

This sounds all fairly negative so far! On a good note, it had a bedroom separate to the open plan kitchen/lounge area. The location was great for the wedding I attended at the Treasury at the Sebel. I imagine the location is also great if you have a function at Crown or Southbank.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lacked a little attention-to-detail
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Turkish first
victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

my husband and i only stayed 1 night but we were so impreesed with our stay. the staff were extremly friendly and very helpful. We were upgraded at no extra cost which was fantastic. The room was sensational with fabulous veiws of the city.The room consisted of a kitchenette lovely living area and a great king size bed.
We would definately recommend the Clarion Suites Gateway to anyone. it would be perfect for a short or longer stay.
thank you again to all the staff for making our stay one to remember.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

Booked off wotif...
We were given an upgrade at check in ...into a one bedroom suite.
Room was Ok, but bedroom right next to the lifts, that were a bit loud during the night.
At the back of the hotel kept us away from the traffic noise.

Plus - Generally clean rooms - apart from the carpet.
Plus- comfy bed
Plus- Location

Negative- no window to open, if you want fresh air.
Negative- a bit exxy on the carpark charge.

All in all, a good stay in a central location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no opening windows
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kyneton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

This was the first time I had stayed at this hotel, I was in town for lunch with friends. The staff were extremely helpful when I arrived as my room wasn't ready. I arrived back in the evening to find my bag in my room. The accomodation was much more that I expected. I had a separate bedroom, lounge and kitchen. The place was spotlessly clean I had a very comfortable nights sleep there. As I stay in hotels in Melbourne regularly for business and pleasure this was one of the best. I will certainly stay there again.

• Liked — The cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

we stayed there for a night last week and found this hotel is absolutely over rated by ppl here. yes, the location is very convenient to the casino and have a great view overseeing the yarra river. but note! there are busy train lines out in front of your hotel, you can expect how noisy is at night! the room is a bit dated, even though is claimed "refurbished room". the toilet is extremely small and doesnt look clean to me. for the next visit, i would rather spend a bit more on the crown hotel across the road. overall, the staff was friendly and helpful, which give a plus to the hotel.

• Liked — front desk service
  • Disliked — nothing else i like
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2008

I found the Clarion Suites Gateway to very good value,staff keen to help in a cool easy going way.
Room was clean and comfortable great view of Melbournes Yarra river.
Will be staying there again.

• Liked — the postion of motel
  • Disliked — smaller bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

I really enjoyed the night I spent at the Clarion Suites Gateway in Melbourne. My suite on the 10th floor looked out over the Yarra River and the Crown Casino River front. From my balcony I could see the city skyline and the hourly displays of fire plumes from the towers in front of the Casino. All the furniture was very comfortable and the staff were charming and polite.

Stayed October 2008

Been to Clarion Suites Gateway? Share your experiences!