“Overall a good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Overall a good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel a few times in the last 6 months and generally the stays have been good. My recent trip was for one night, I asked for a room on the upper floors as the traffic noise can be heard from the lower floors. I was upgraded to a one bed suite with a view at the back. Room was spacious, clean, but bed needs changing as it is a bit soft. They offer a discount on dinners in the cafe and an $18 full breakfast which was goods value. The hotel is within a close walk to the casino. Be careful taking a big car into their car park as it is very confined. Overall a good hotel, and I will go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed at the Clarion suites Gateway in June for 4 nights with 4 friends. We had a 2 bedroom apartment with extraordinary views of the Yarra and Southbank. The apartment is huge so everyone had their own space. We love our cup of tea and were never let down by housekeeping as we always found the kitchen stocked up with amenities. I have stayed at a lot of hotels in Melbourne over the years but this one is hard to beat when you want accommodation for more than 2 people.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Big spacious apartments with balconies - not something you'd expect in the middle of a city particularly in this price range so if you're staying with kids in Melbourne this is highly recommended.
The location would be hard to beat - you can walk to the Southbank and to the city centre or grab a tram from near the front door.
We loved the Clarion Suites.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I decided to spend a romantic weekend in the city, we wanted a hotel close to everything and Clarion Suites was ideal. As soon as I entered the hotel I was greeted at the front desk by a lovely friendly and very helpful staff member. What a refreshing change to have someone who is smiling, friendly, courteous, helpful and also had a lovely sense of humour.

Every encounter I had with the staff was excellent and made our stay even more special. The apartment was well maintained, clean and comfortable with the most amazing view of the Yarra River and Crown Casino fireworks which are a must see.

I travel quite a lot for my work and in the past 12 months have stayed at more than 30plus hotels across Australia, UK & Europe and I have never written a ‘thank you’ to acknowledge outstanding service. However, upon returning home I felt compelled to acknowledge the great stay we had. The staff’s attitude, helpfulness and professionalism is a welcome and much appreciated change. Sure I’ve had good service, but to receive it from all of the staff I encountered during my stay was great.

My husband and I are already planning our next weekend getaway and we will definately be staying here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I honestly cannot fathom why this hotel is so highly rated. Of all the hotels I've stayed at in Melbourne, this one was the least impressive for a number of reasons, the most expensive for no redeeming advantages over others we stayed at on this trip and the only one I've felt compelled to write a negative review of.

Firstly the lifts were out of order and apparantly being worked on when we arrived, which would be fine if it were signposted or blocked off. We got stuck on a random carpark level for about 15 mins with the lift opening and closing on us going nowhere, so we dragged our luggage all the way down stairs to reception. 3 hours later, judging by the confused looks of people outside the lifts on a number of floors, they still hadn't thought to shut off the malfunctioning lift? We had to take a service lift at the back which stunk of dead fish, no offers of assistance with dragging our luggage back out down stairs through the carpark to get to it either.

The bed was terrible. It must have been very old because there were 2 distinct hollows on each side where people had lain before us, it was soft and unsupportive and I literally could go nowhere near my partner as it was too uncomfortable rolling over the hump in the middle. For a 4.5 star hotel this is completely unacceptable. Take a leaf out of Rydges book and invest in some great beds, as that is the bulk of the service you are selling, a bed for the night!

The layout of the bathroom made no sense. The shower and toilet were CRAMMED into a tiny room (literally had no room to swing my head over to dry my hair without hitting a wall) yet the basin and vanity is outside it on a large carpeted area. Why not put it in the bathroom and make it bigger rather than putting the basin over carpet and wasting that whole empty space?

It was apparantly a studio which means a sink and a microwave inside the wardrobe. Didn't even bother looking at that let alone using it for any food purpose.

There WERE some positive features which were the tv which was a nice new flatscreen, the location was convenient and the view was great over the river to watch the fires at Crown go off at night. But really not enough to redeem this place.

Basically, you can get a lot better for your money and we were really inconvenienced on our stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
CSGManagement, General Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback, this does allow us to assess our operation from time to time, with the sole focus of endeavouring to enhance the hotel experience.
I do apologies that on this occasion we were unable to offer you a heightened experience that our hotel, which we are renowned for, this is regrettable.
Unfortunately like all mechanical operations, lifts do fail at times, therefore, to avoid congestion we do make available our service lift.
Please do call our hotel number and we would have been more than happy to make available our porter to assist you in the car park.
I am sorry to hear about the bed comfort, however, I assure you that our beds are Sealy, 2007 manufactured, and as a measure of additional comfort, and by popular guest demand, we have a lofty doona on top of the mattress.
Most hotel guest prefer this additional comfort, however, the doona is easily removed, by a phone call to our housekeeping department, your comfort is our primary concern.
Due to space limitation and the focus in providing a larger living/room area, we opted to transform the bathroom, to a practical application, in that, the vanity is positioned outside the bathroom area, which enables privacy to both parties if required.
The Studio offers a micro-wave and toaster, it is solely designed for heating purposes, as opposed to cooking, however, our One, Two & Three Bedroom suites do offer a full kitchen & laundry complement.
May I take this opportunity in thanking you for your patronage, and I do hope that we will one day have the occasion of welcoming you back; it would be our delight to offer you upgraded facilities.

Kind regards
Tony Cakmar
Tasmania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

My friend and I stayed here overnight recently. We arrived earlier than check-in and were greeted by friendly reception staff who upgraded us to a river view room. Wow, we thought that was lovely, however, when we got to our room and viewed the river from our window we also saw that the train lines on Flinders Street were only a couple of meters away from our room. The room was lovely and very clean and roomy for two people to share but the noise of the trains coming and going was disappointing. If you are a light sleeper dont't get a river view room. Other than that, I would stay at this hotel again but on the other side.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Hobart Tasmania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011 via mobile

Stayed with a friend here shared a room had fold out sofa bed in lounge which they prepared while we were shopping. Full kitchen facilities good sized lounge area lots of light. Good location quick walk to Spencer st station and to the city up flinders st. Staff were friendly. Would happily stay again. Room was clean and quiet. Could see the crown towers fire show by reflection on mirrored office building behind the hotel so didn't need to pay extra for a river view room!!

• Stayed March 2011

Been to Clarion Suites Gateway? Share your experiences!