“Fun visit at Lightning Opal Mines Shop” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Specialty Shops
Attraction Details
Alameda, California
8 attraction reviews
“Fun visit at Lightning Opal Mines Shop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Really enjoyed visiting Lightning Ridge Opal mines. Their store was right behind our hotel the Westin. My partner and I were so interested in all they had to show we stayed for a couple hours getting information on opals how they are graded, the various types....we even got to give a go at grinding and polishing. They seemed happy to just let us hang around. No pressure to buy, but we sure looked. Much more than a shop. It was fun.

Visited April 2013

Willingboro, New Jersey
55 attraction reviews
“Great information without the pushy sales pitch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were a bit hesitant to visit at first for fear that even if we got to see some neat stuff, we'd later be pressured by sales staff. But that couldn't have been further from what happened. We were greeted warmly, shown how the opal mining and polishing process works, how opals are graded, and saw a huge variety of samples in each category. We even spent time with the owner who, himself, had worked in the opal mines as a younger man. The whole staff was wonderful, and we ended up purchasing a piece of rock with opal along the side as a momento of our visit there since it reminded us of the opal mines themselves. Great visit, and lovely selection if you do decide you want quality opal jewelry or loose stones.

Visited March 2013
London
13 attraction reviews
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This place was much cooler than I expected. We went here expecting to learn a bit and be given a bit of a sales pitch along with it but it's much better. They're really informative and entertaining and didn't try to push anything on us at all. They have a huge range of opals, more than I've ever seen. Everything seemed reasonably priced if you are looking to buy, and there's also bonus lizzards and snakes and spiders to see which I thought was pretty awesome as well.

Huntington Beach, California, United States
6 attraction reviews
“Go to shop or just for some good stories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Visiting Lighting Ridge is a fun experience and the customer service is excellent. Nick himself showed me around the shop and couldn’t have been friendlier. He demonstrated how opals are polished and how triplets are produced. He showed me different colors and varieties of stones, photos of Coober Pedy, and the in-store collection of native spiders, reptiles, and creepy crawlies. He was very personable and entertaining and had a wealth of information to offer. The shop has a large variety of merchandise in styles to suit many different tastes, and at many different price points. Regardless of whether you have a little money to spend or a lot, you can probably find something you will like. I took home a lovely opal ring that I wear every day.

Visited January 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
“Highly Recommend it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The education I got on opals was very informative and enjoyable. My three primary school children were actually interested in the demonstration and learned a lot. I was very impressed with their customer service and their jewlery selection. Top notch! There is a big wooden box in the middle of the exhibit where the children could search for opals. This kept them entertained while I enjoyed looking at all the beautiful jewlery. They have a great selection from modern to classic styles and loose stones for custom designs, too. Although I wasn't looking to buy jewlery initially, only there to learn a thing or two about opals, I feel like it surpassed my expectations. I plan to go back for a second look (this time with the hubby).

Visited November 2012