“Great for all your wants and needs >.<” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #40 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
“Great for all your wants and needs >.<”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Well, where do I begin, Ovolo Laneways, lives and breathes Melbourne.
As a Melbournite staying in the penthouse and terrace suites over my stay I felt this place really jelled to my age group being in my 20s.
I'll begin with the staff, the men were incredible kick back and astounding, the women were a tiny bit skeptical of me, I felt vibes of mistrust as i assumed they thought i was having a huge party or something which wasn't the case so I felt really awkward vibes or distrust which made me feel a tiny bit uneasy at first but my needs were met.

the rooms, I'll start with the terrace suite- great view, great rooms, bathroom, shower, check, check, check, i loved the facilities and the wii u was an incredible sunday sesh activity when we got sick of basking in the sun, the couch on the terrace possibly isn't great for summer as the material attracts heat though but super comfy and suited the area well.
the bean bag, possibly needs to go, it is a hole in the wall waiting to happen haha but i found it quite interesting that it was there, so random. this place was filled with a lot of random things.

the penthouse- UTTERLY AMAZING!!
everything about it was fantastic! I couldn't think of a better way to have celebrated my birthday by having a spa with the most incredible view of the city and enjoying the free loot bags and beverages was quite the treat. great sized room, with great facilities. I would possibly get rid of the pin ball machine and perhaps put something that works for more social environments, a small pool table or something along those lines could be something to consider, and wiis in every room is definitely something to consider haha
loved the quirky sculptures and little bits and pieces in every crevice.
TAKE NOTE- the outdoor vases need some beautiful plants in them haha i just questioned there existence, but beautiful large plants are a must!

on a final note, I feel as though these two rooms have been considered but not quite enough, like chalk boards without chalk leaves those with imagination with a loss, the artwork and decor, possibly needs to be reconsidered to mix with the idea of a graff lifestyle, maybe looking into getting actual graff artists in to go crazy with a wall and dish out something really contemporary and breathtaking, as an art student i feel it would work much better with the rooms.
the rooms are definitely suited to a couple getting away or a small group of friends, probably wouldnt hold events there, just small chills is cool because melbourne has a grand nightlife so why waste experiencing the nightlife by staying in a hotel room.
great for sunday sessions, beverages in the sun and spa. huge ticks!!

ovolo, I'll be back, 110 percent

Room Tip: definitely choose either the penthouse suite or the terrace, you will not be complaining with either...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Superb Location in Little Bourke St Melbourne , Colse to shops , trams and the theatres .
Staff very helpful & lots of treats in room and happy hour , freebies. Stayed in great studio room.
Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Maybe go higher floors
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful (despite our late arrival due to flight delays). The location of the hotel was fantastic and within walking distance of so many amazing little pockets of Melbourne.
The room was beautifully presented and we do wish we had more time to spend there. The bed was phenomenally comfortable. We would consider staying at this hotel again on our next visit to Melbourne.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LilCCM,

Thank You for visiting Ovolo Laneways!
I totally agree with you, our beds are like sleeping on a cloud. Next time be sure to book a couple of extra nights so you can take full advantage of our amazing location.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We have just returned from an excellent stay at the Ovolo Laneways. I was so impressed with the excellent customer service, lovely staff and great facilities. The decor is cool, the free mini bar is excellent, the goodie bags, chalk boards and daily Happy Hour make this hotel one to return to. I will definitely be back.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Curlisue77,

Thanks for the A+ review. It's great to hear you had the opportunity to take advantage of our Happy Hour, we are working on ways to make this even BIGGER and BETTER! so next time you're in don't be surprised when you see our little advancements.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have been fortunate to spend time in some great hotels around the world but I dont think I have ever been in one where the staff (special mention Gotham) was so friendly and helpful. My wife and I stayed for 5 nights in the hotel with our friends .

The Hotel itself is brilliantly placed right in the centre of Melbourne but because it is on a side street , which also is full of top restaurants, you do not feel as if you are stuck in the middle of a city as you do in some large chain hotels.

It is modern and vibrant and all the little personal touches are unique. Rooms were spacious and clean and although we did not have a view because of the hotels location it did not seem to matter. It may not be eveyones idea of the perfect hotel beacuse it is not huge but I would recommend anyone who wants personal service and close to all the city attractions to give it a go.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Adam M, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, 1 week ago
GREETINGS FROM OVOLO LANEWAYS!

Great to hear you enjoyed our hotel. We are surrounded by so many great venues it's sometimes hard to pick a favorite. Summer is coming which means you see a massive change in menus and cuisines within all of the restaurants.

This is why we love Melbourne!

I would love to meet you next time you are staying with us.

C U Soon!
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As Melbournians we were looking forward to our city escape for a couple of nights for a significant anniversary. The Ovolo appeared to be a quirky interesting hotel we hadn't stayed at before. Unfortunately it left us disappointed.

Positives: great location, coffee machine in foyer, 'grab-n-go' pastries in the morning, spacious lounge room in the one bedroom suite, funky decor in parts.

Let downs: only two beers and a few soft drinks in the mini bar (not a beer drinker, wine would have been nice as an alternative), very small bedroom, so much so that it was a sideways shuffle along the end of the bed being careful not to knock the TV off the wall to get to the mirror and other side of the bed, Apple TV is only good if you actually have your own account, door pass not working and three trips to the front desk to resolve, really uncomfortable mattress on the bed.

Unforgivable: I'm not a huge fan of the raw uncovered doona just sandwiched between two larger sheets. Inevitably they become shuffled in the night and I wake up to the uncovered doona on me, which i'm sure has happened to all the other guests before me. But to put sheets on the bed which do NOT fit and leave a foot of raw uncovered mattress at the bottom of the bed is really unforgivable for the price of this hotel. If every guest was under 5ft then they may not stick their foot that far down the bed to discover this, but I'm not much over that and I could feel it, let alone my 6.4ft husband who had to share foot germs with others all night. After the first night we peeled back the doona to show the mattress thinking maybe it was a house keeping oversight/lack of sheets that fit and they would fix it. But our bed was remade with the short sheets still in place.

We had such high hopes of finding a great little gem in our own town, but no amount of pastries can make up for a bed without fitting sheets. I've paid much less for much better.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Belinda_Japan2014

Thanks for your review, We are constantly trying improve our service and overall experience so we take things like this seriously.

I am glad you enjoyed our Grab n Go breakfast and tea station, this certainly makes things easy in the morning and easy on the wallet as it's all included.

In regards to the size of the bedroom I apologise that you felt it to be on the small side. I can tell you that all our rooms are uniquely designed and some rooms are are bigger than others.
The housekeeping issue I can not be more sorry. Obviously our King beds are made with King Sheets In this particular instance it seems as if it wasn't ?. I have followed up with my housekeeping team to get to the bottom of it and to ensure this will never happen again.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel if you wish to speak to me directly
Thanks for the Review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here for 6 nights for the Melbourne Cup Carnival. November 1 to November 7. It was amazing. The staff were so friendly throughout the whole of our stay, from an easy check in to general day to day chats. Free mini bar is a welcome plus, together with Happy Hour each day which was lovely before heading out for dinner for the night. We stayed in a twin room, it was fine, on the small side but we weren't in it for long. Great air conditioning! Free laundry was great also. The bathroom sink was extremely small and the shelf above the sink made it difficult to reach in to brush teeth. But other than that I can say I really enjoyed the stay here, and it will be our place to stay each time in Melbourne. It is in a great location at the top of china town, easy to walk to great restaurants and shops.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mee21mee,

Thanks for awesome review!
I'am glad you enjoyed the hotel and everything in which surrounds it..
Next time ask about upgrading to one of our 1 bedroom suites, tons for space and the sink is a normal sized sink :)

C U next time!

Been to Ovolo Laneways? Share your experiences!