“Steps right into China town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Special Offer
FREE WI-FI
Ranked #37 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
bonnie doon
“Steps right into China town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed here for one night just last week. We stayed in a studio room.
The room had its many pros with a couple cons.
Pros: *Free mini bar (tho cheap wine and beer.....but I guess that's what ur to expect when something is free) *Free loot bag (which is a fancy way for making u feel like u got something extra special....when it's really its what u would get in any other mini bar...but hey it was free)
*Free WiFi. *Rain shower....Loved this!!
*Free happy hour...wich is TWO hours of free drinks. *Simple quick breakfast snack of coffee / juice and a yummy pastry.....great way to quickly put something small in ur belly, till u decide which of many cafes Melbourne offer for a full breakfast. *Nice smelling bathroom products.
*Clean room and bathroom.

Cons:
*Really small bathroom sink...and no bench to place all ur toiletries / makeup.
*Lack of hip Melbourne decor, that was shown in photos on the website. This was one of the main reasons I wanted to stay at this hotel...and it lacked everything that the photos on the web pages showed.
Yeah the hall ways with bright doors are awesome.....but once I stepped into our room, all that hip Melbourne design decor was gone. The hall way was more exciting. As soon as I walked thru my studio room door, I just felt like I was in any other hotel that Melbourne has.

Over all the stay was wonderful and the staff were EXTREMELY helpful, right from the first email I sent regarding rooms, to the departing.
I would recommend this hotel to all my family and friends.
I was just disappointed coming from an artistic / graphic design person who loves Melbourne art....to find the hotel room I stayed in lacked the decor design it stated it had and was "apparently" famous for.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear eatdrinkcook,

Many thanks for the review!

I will begin by saying that I am glad to hear you enjoyed all the Ovolo freebies. We like to give back so it's great to see that guests are getting the most out of our offerings.

I am however disappointed to read that you felt our property was lacking the "Melbourne" vibe and that you felt it was it photographed differently to the website.
The property was designed by Hassell with the brief to create a laneway feel in the hotel. This includes all the hallway art work in the light boxes and all the in room canvas prints. These images are taken of closely located graffiti artwork in lanes surrounding the hotel.

I do at the moment have our design team looking to upgrade a few areas of the hotel in the coming months and will share your feedback with them, they will be able to come up with some quirky cool ideas to get that Melbourne feel back.

Hopefully we can have you stay again on another occasion and impress a little more.

Safe Travels,

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The staff were friendly and polite ! Had a ready smile to greet you . Loved the mini bar and the loot bag with the chips , nuts and chocolate frogs . Nice touch . Room was clean and funky . Bathroom was good, basin a touch small but loved the mirror in the shower ! Happy hour was cool and the breakfast was lovely ! Bed was comfy and the location was super to what we needed ! Will stay there again and have been spreading the news to all who would listen ! Great place ! Good price and a pleasant experience ! Well done

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Jennie L,

Thanks for the review.

So pleased to hear you had a great stay with us and please keep spreading the word on our hotel, no complaints from us!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Safe Travels,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

A friend recommended this place and I wasn't disappointed. From friendly staff, to clean room, awesome shower, free gift bag, mini bar and happy hour. All within walking distance of all Melbourne has to offer. I'll be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Michael E,

Thanks for the great review from your recent stay.

Very pleased to hear you liked all aspects of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The room was very comfy and quirky, the service was absolutely over the edge, and free wifi and free minibar came in really handy. The staff went out of their way to see that we had a nice stay not only in the hotel but in Melbourne. Without them we wouldn't have the same wonderful experience in Melbourne. Great job Ovolo and we will see you again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Winnie L,

Thanks for the review from your recent stay at Ovolo Melbourne.

So pleased to hear that the team were accommodating during your time at the property.

Looking forward to having you stay again.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Really good hotel, comes with everything you need including free wifi, free minibar and comfy beds. I would have given a full rating but the only thing I didn't like was how small the sink was in the basin. Otherwise perfect!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sarah H,

Thanks for the review.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, saddened to hear we missed a full rating due to the basin but understand they are not ideal for all travelers.
We are always looking at ways to improve guest stays so this is now one for the design team to tackle.

Hope to see you again at the hotel.

Jaipur, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

The loot bag no longer has a nibble of choc in it! Whyyyyy???? Otherwise always comfortable. Great location. V helpful staff. Excited to hear about upcoming hotels in Melbourne! Would recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear writetolauramcg,

Thanks for the review from your recent stay.

I am presuming your Freddo was missing from the loot bag? I am sorry to hear this, although unusual I will follow up with my mini bar attendant to see why.

Please let me know when you are back and I will throw in some extra Freddo's :)

Hope to see you soon.

australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed in a 2 bed apartment. The bedrooms are very small and have no windows. Also if there are 4 people you will have problems with the shower overflowing onto the floor in the entrance. The bathrooms are all new but they have built them very badly and the water leaks out everywhere.
Also they do provide some coffee and pastries downstairs in the mornings but its not really a proper breakfast and no real place to sit. They also do some drinks in the evenings but you are sitting in the hallway near the lifts with no real place to have the free stuff they give you.
All a bit weird but if you are a group say 4 people its a cheap 2 bedroom option.
I couldn't really recommend the Ovolo.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Louise S,

Thanks for the recent review from your stay with Ovolo Melbourne.

I am sorry to hear that you felt the 2 bedroom rooms were quite small, they are actually one of our bigger rooms at 52sqm, the windows are also floor to ceiling in the lounge so I will double check the room you were in as it may not have been from a 2 bedroom from the sounds of things.

The breakfast offered at the property is also what we note to be 'Grab N Go', whilst we would be ideally like to offer a full breakfast we simply don’t have the space, as mentioned in your review we simply only have the lobby space. We felt that offering something on the go was a good option as to not offering anything at all. I will however look to make this more extensive though, and make it feel like a more substantial offering.

I am saddened to hear that you would possibly not look to return to the hotel. We like to think that although we have limited space we can give back with all the Ovolo Freebies, something not a lot of Melbourne hotels are doing. Hopefully you can restore your faith back in Ovolo as we would be delighted to have you back.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Laneways? Share your experiences!