“The good and bad: Australian Open Weekend” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #40 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“The good and bad: Australian Open Weekend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We booked a two bedroom suite for the final weekend of the Australian Open. I had read the reviews, and was particularly looking forward to the '24/7' help yourself facilities. I had stayed at a hotel in Barcelona called the Casa Camper which had a truly wonderful incarceration of this idea, with different snacks and drinks available throughout the day and night. However the Ovolo really let me down in this department, the 'included' breakfast was a daily repetition of stale pastries and unhealthy (though tasty) muffins + orange juice, and Nescafe pod coffee.

Check in was easy, Sven in particular was great, very friendly and helpful and always smiling. The other staff on reception though hardly smiled or welcomed you as you came and went. Sven also arranged for a 6pm check out on our last day which was wonderful as well.

The suite on first inspection was nice, modernly appointed and large. However both bedroom had no windows or natural light, and the bathroom was shared between both rooms. This would have been alright, however housekeeping seemingly made no real attempts to clean it properly, and i even wonder if towels that were placed on the floor to be replaced had been refolded and placed back (the towels were wet, roughly folded, and appeared used).

The living area was very nice, the suite has a kitchenette that would greatly benefit from the simple addition of a stovetop and microwave to make it a fully functional apartment.

The other downfall was the lifts, they took forever to make their way up and down, and the spipe cards were difficult to use.

The best aspect of this hotel was its fairly convenient location. It suited our needs well as everything was within half an hour of walking.

My main suggestions to the Ovolo would be to seriously redevelop the 24/7 help yourself concept by adding a variety of foods and drinks, and also make sure the cleaning team does a better job.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Alexander R,

Greetings from the Ovolo Hotel Melbourne!

I hope you enjoyed your time in Melbourne and didn't melt away with the heat we were having, it didn't seem it was ever going to end!

Thanks also for this review on the property. I will firstly begin by informing Sven of your kind words. He is quite the superstar and so I am glad this was noted. He will be delighted.

Regarding your stay and the amenities. As a product that has been open 12 months we feel it’s time for a revamp and having feedback such as this only makes us want to push for new ideas. So in saying this we are looking at new breakfast items, happy hour items and also loot bag options. Something a little more unique and stand out, something that makes people talk.

You also mention housekeeping issues and I will speak directly with the team regarding this to ensure all Ovolo cleaning procedures are in place. We pride ourselves on our product and having feedback that cleanliness of the room was not 100% is not ideal. I do apologise and can inform you that this is an isolated indent.

Alexander, again thank you for the feedback. Perhaps we will see you again for the 2015 Open where we will have new ideas flowing through the hotel which I am sure will make you enjoy Ovolo more so than perhaps this stay.

I look forward to hopefully seeing you again.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I'll start with the positives... but I would recommend staying at a hotel with double glazed windows.

Customer service

The customer service at Ovolo is exceptional/outstanding – particularly Sven and Andre, who have been very helpful. As you will soon work out, noise is a MAJOR issue for this hotel (back or front). However, the staff tried to do the best they could. A sign of good service for me is the manner in which someone deals with the issues.

Standard of the hotel

The hotel is very basic, the lounge is fairly big. The hotel perks are great: free wifi, coffee, free minibar, complementary drinks (6-8pm), apple tv (kept cutting out), foxtel selection, free ‘goodies pack’ etc are great. However, there are no additional facilities such as gym/pool etc. The pillows etc are not very good – too soft for me. I had to 're-magnetise' my card every day (was there for 5 days) because it wouldn't work in the lifts. The hotel is very clean and of a good standard.

Issues with the room

As the hotel is located in Little Bourke St, there tends to be a lot of late night drinking crowd noise (until about 1am most week days). Additionally there were delivery trucks from about 4am and daily garbage trucks from about 6am. The odd loud motorbike at other times. I requested a move but then offered ear plugs... I'm sorry but for nearly $300/night they need to do better than that. The windows are not double glazed so the noise travels. The apple tv also didn’t work and kept cutting out. Airconditioning was struggling and hardly worked. Very stuffy.

After much wrangling, I was moved to one of the backrooms certainly helped but you can still hear the garbage trucks in the morning – although it doesn’t sound like it is right in the room like the first room. On the last night - there was a band playing in a pub that backed onto the hotel so there was noise until 2am and people laughing and drinking in the laneway.

All and all - not good for a person on a business trip who wants to sleep before a meeting.

I feel sorry for the staff who were great - the hotel needs to spend money on sound proofing.

Room Tip: As for a room at the back - the noise from the front is unbearable (I was on the fourth floor) - the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Kelly O, Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Gretto,

Greetings from the Ovolo Melbourne!

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay here at the hotel.

I will be passing on feedback to Sven and Andrei about their service. They are quite amazing so it's great to see their service is being recognised by our guests.

Regarding the issues you faced with noise from street level. We hear you and earlier this year began looking into ways in which we can best eliminate the noise issue at the hotel. Our guests comfort is important to us and this is a priority for us as a hotel to really improve on.

I would hope that later this year you could reconsider a return revisit to the hotel. With great service and solutions to the noise issues I cam sure we can restore your faith in our product.

South Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed at the Ovolo hoping for a boutique experience in Melbourne. It didn't start that well as the metal capping around the bed (on a podium) was falling of and very sharp. We reported it and the staff were very courteous and helpful but all they did was rip it off so it didn't look too good. Bathrooms are tiny and the basin tap was very wobbly i.e. not secured properly. Overall the room had quite a 'knocked around' feeling and in need of an upgrade.
Not good for the prices they charge and you get much better value at one of the larger chains. Good location though.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Keltmaster,

Greetings from the Ovolo Hotel Melbourne.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts from your recent stay at the hotel.

I am sorry that it was less than perfect and I have taken on board all that you have mentioned. There are some rooms that we have identified need some attention and so these are the first rooms to be upgraded on our upcoming refurbishments to the hotel.

I do hope that next time you are in Melbourne you can place trust back in Ovolo and stay with us again. I would be delighted if you could see the rooms post upgrade.

All the best,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel was quite a find. The location in Melbourne is terrific, close to everything and transport on the doorstep for ventures a little further afield than the CBD. The staff were really helpful and friendly with recommendations on places to eat and how to get around.
It is trying to be very trendy and “young” – we were certainly the oldest guests there the weekend we visited (in our 40s) and we found it to be a bit “over designed with “features” for features sake. A very young vibe, at adult prices
The upsides:
- They have some really lovely touches. Even though the mini bar is basic – it is free and restocked daily
- They provide a “loot bag” with some snacks
- They have free wifi – great for posting my photos taken during the day
- Breakfast works well in what is a rather confined lobby and is a good solution to what might otherwise be an issue.
- Location is wonderful - however, our view was of the brick wall behind over the bin alley – made it feel very closed in when in the room – guess that’s part of being on the 1st floor in the city
On the downside:
- The furniture seems cheap and the basics were not there….the walls were very scuffed and it needed a paint job in the room.
- The rug under the bed was of no use, and in fact was a trip hazard – we flattened it out on the first night, came back from our day out to find it has been put back with ridges in it as it didn’t fit the room or situation.
- The bathroom was on the small side – the bathroom sink was ridiculous – you couldn’t even lean over it to clean your teeth properly
- The lifts were cranky – and the key cards very temperamental
- Noise – from plumbing and AC units outside

Room Tip: Try and be high and try not to be at the back of the buillding
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Nice2Know2,

Greetings from the Ovolo Hotel Melbourne!

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the hotel and liked the small offerings of mini bar, loot bag and breakfast. The Internet is always a plus and we are happy include this on the room as we are all about effortless living here at the hotel.

Regarding the furnishings and wear and tear. I have taken this on board and I am happy to disclose that the Ovolo is going through a small soft refurbishment in the coming months which will include repainting of halls and in rooms. We are very much looking forward to the freshen up and hope you can return later in the year to check out all the new and fresh rooms.

Safe Travels,

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Love that everything is very no frills here. Free minibar (which is fairly limited - water, juice, beer and white wine), breakfast pastries available in the lobby, free wifi and local calls. No surprise charges when you check out.

Great location for close proximity to the central business district of Melbourne. We visited to attend the Australian Open and this was a very easy walk to Melbourne Park (20 minutes at most).

One of the few options we found that had rooms that would sleep more than 2 adults. Offered 2 bedroom suites for a reasonable price.

Front desk staff was mostly very helpful. Sven was great and willing to help with any questions or needs. We bookended our trip to Australia at this hotel and were able to leave some of our bags at the hotel while we traveled around which was great. When we returned, they had already put them in our room.

Little Bourke street is a quiet street, so not much worry about noise, but there was one night where there were several teenagers hanging out in the alley outside of our room, so a higher floor is preferable. As far as I could tell, no rooms in this hotel would have much of a view.

The bathroom was definitely the drawback of this hotel. Very small sink/vanity and a shower with no door which did cause the bathroom to get fairly wet. You could not have more than one person in this bathroom at a time.

I would definitely stay here again on another trip to Melbourne.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Kelly O, Guest Services Supervisor at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear ndesplat,

Greetings from the Ovolo Hotel Melbourne.

It was a pleasure having you at our hotel and I myself and my colleagues are happy to hear that we were of assistance with all your queries and needs.

Also, I am glad you loved our free Ovolo 'goodies' as we much as we do.

I am sorry to hear that you were woken up by some external noise in the alley one night. I am sure however that you understand being a CBD property, we do not have any influence about what sometimes happens around us.

I do hope that you come back and visit us again sometime. This year will be very exciting for us with upgrades to the property happening from head to toe. This enables us to offer guests an even more pleasurable stay.

Feel free to contact me directly for a great offer on your next stay.

I hope you had a good return to the states.

Sven Thiele
Guest Services Supervisor
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Great location near plenty of restaurants, free downtown shuttle and Chinatown. You can walk to practically all sites of interest. Cool decoration. It's more an appartment than a hotel, there's a mini fridge and micro-wave. It feels very cozy. They provide free water, juices, tea, coffee in lobby & in your room. In the morning they provide free & excellent pastries. Free Wi-Fi in your room. They also have a laundry room for guests (they provide detergent). Staff is very helpful. Exceptional little hotel.

We stayed a week and were awakened twice early in the morning by the sound of garbage trucks but really that's the only negative point.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear kevandcatt,

Greetings from the Ovolo Hotel Melbourne!

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to see that you felt the property was original and catered to your needs whilst at the hotel.

There are some small areas of change that we are looking at here at the hotel, noise and functionality so hopefully once they are amended you should return and give a true thumbs up!

All the best and thank you again for such a great review.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed in the Ovolo Melbourne for 6 nights in January. Check in was fast and efficient. Room was spacious, clean and tidy. Walk in shower was great but as other peole have mentioned the wash basin is rediculously small. The free mini bar and happy hour is a great little touch and the grab and go breakfast was great for our busy agenda whilst we were in Melbourne. Also the free coffee machine in the foyer was great for a good quality coffee with breakfast and when returning to the hotel. The staff were always helpful and courtious helping us with directions and booking our return bus to the airport for us. Next time we are in Melbourne we will definately return to the Ovolo. As metioned by other people the sound proofing is not the best and you can hear outher people moving around sometimes but this was not a problem for us.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear kevandcatt,

Greetings from the Ovolo Hotel Melbourne!

Thank you for taking the time to share your Ovolo experience with Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Ovolo. It sounds like you had a busy time in Melbourne so I hope you got to see everything that our fabulous city has to offer. We were after all voted "best city in the world"

We are looking forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Laneways? Share your experiences!