“Excellent and Quirky Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street

Save Saved
You added Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street to your Saves list
Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Special Offer
Free Room Upgrade!
Ranked #33 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
Maryvale, Australia
“Excellent and Quirky Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I recently stayed with my sister in this lovely little hotel and was really impressed. In a fantastic quiet location, central to all amenties including Parliament Station - great if you are travelling via public transport. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a One Bedroom Apartment which was gorgeous, well equipped with a bar fridge, glasses, bowls and a microwave. We really appreciated the FREE Loot Bag and Mini Bar - amazing and with the free drinks happy hour - it was a perfect start to our night out. It is the little extras WIFI, Coffee, Grab and Go breakfast etc that really make this place stand out from competitors. The customer service was exceptional at all times and not at all pretentious as can often be the case with Boutique hotels. My only complaint is in relation to your housekeeping service, I dropped my glasses on the floor and was confronted with an awful mess under the couch upon picking them up, other than this the cleanliness of the hotel room could not be faulted. This however has not stopped me from wanting to return and I look forward to bringing my family to stay in the near future.

Room Tip: A room facing little Bourke street is just lovely, loads of natural light.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear cherryred55,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive thoughts from your recent stay with us.

It is great to know that you and your sister enjoyed time with us and that you were able to make the most of our freebies!

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the surprise under the couch and be assured that the issue has been raised with our housekeeping team to ensure it remains an isolated event. I am glad the issue did not deter you from wanting to return.

Please be sure to contact us directly when planning your next trip to Melbourne so our team can personally assist you.

406 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

When visit Melbourne recently I was looking for somewhere interesting to stay and wow did this fit the bill.

Pros: the freebies! free wifi, free coffee, free minibar, free goodie bag, the free breakfast is great- take some pastries on the way. the malin and goetz toiletries were a huge advantage. The room is wonderfully decorated and they make great use of the space. Located in Chinatown and within walking distance to a lot of places. The friendly staff

Cons: The room and bathroom could use a little more room, however they have utilized the limited space very well! Due to the tight space it doesn't always feel very private.

Overall this is a fantastic hotel. So much thought has been put into every little detail and the quirky features shine through. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear wishwellingtons,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for sharing your fantastic review on TripAdvisor. It is great to read that we now rank as your "new favourite hotel".

We look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Great Melbourne CBD option for those who value:

Free (actually fast) Wi-Fi
Free booze, free snacks
A few creative touches
Huge "creative" table with space to actually work (not one of those old-fashioned hotel desks)
Apple TV & Foxtel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear ktownluv7,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for posting your comments from your recent stay with us.

It is great to know that you were able to enjoy our unique offering. We hope to see you again soon.

New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed for three nights in October, in a one-bedroom unit with our 2-year old son. The location in the Central Business District, near Chinatown, is excellent. This is a small, intimate hotel with quirky little touches like doors painted in rainbow hues. The room itself though was more conservatively styled in an attractive, modern way.

What stood out most was the amenities, in particular the free "grab and go" breakfast that consisted of a good selection of fresh pastries and decent espresso from a capsule machine. It's no breakfast buffet, but for a quick and easy start to the morning it was much appreciated. The free drinks and beers in the minifridge was also a nice touch. We never used it, but having free self-laundry facilities is also a rare but very convenient feature in a central city hotel like this one.

Room Tip: Our one-bedroom unit was perfect because we were traveling with a toddler. We put the crib in the li...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Thelonious2,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay with us.

I am glad you were able to enjoy our array of freebies and found our location ideal for you and your family.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again some time soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here a while back in a Studio room with my partner and I can safely say that this is still on the list as one of my favourite hotels. The prices are very reasonable (I purchased on sale), but that doesn't mean you miss out on much at all! The hotel offers lots of freebies including a delicious grab-and-go breakfast as well as an unlimited mini-fridge with free beer and wine :D

The room was very nice, fun and a little quirky which I loved. They were also clean and the beds comfortable. The curtains provided good light blockage - perfect for a sleep-in. The hotel puts effort into the little things, down to the hotel slippers (super comfy!) and bathroom amenities, just to name a few.

The location is very central and perfect for sight-seeing around the Melbourne CBD. Staff are also very friendly and helpful.

Strongly recommend if your looking for a cheaper place to stay that doesn't skimp on quality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 25evelynp,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for the great review from your past stay with us. It is nice to learn that you were able to enjoy your time with us and found our offering good value. I am glad our location was perfect for your time in Melbourne you enjoyed and that staff were able to add to your experience.

Gold coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Took a trip down to Melbourne earlier in the year and chose to stay at this new boutique hotel.

Firstly I must say the main selling point for me was the free mini bar, free happy hour and free wifi. I cannot say I have ever been to a hotel that has offered so many freebies. They also have a cute 'grab and go' breakfast each morning ( also free) which is held down in the lobby. So many delicious pastries to choose from and fresh coffee. We opted out of the that though most mornings and walked just across the street to a little Cafe/bakery and had bacon and eggs which was delicious.

The hotel is pretty much situated at the top of the Bourke Street which was great because it's right beside a tram station, just a short walk away. China Town again is only a short walk down the road and that is where we spent most of our nights eating dinner. Also I might add that if you catch the Skybus from the airport to Southern Cross station they offer a free transfer to 'selected' hotels and Ovolo Hotel is on their list- although might I add on the Skybus website it was not when I looked. I put this down to the hotel being quite new.

The room was lovely, bathroom a little small but nothing we couldn't handle. We opted for the studio suite as we were staying in Melbourne for 5 days so we needed a little extra space. The little lounge and tv set up was perfect and the room was mostly quiet. We had a couple of nights when we were kept awake by people outside stumbling home and visitors in the room beside us. The walls are thin but you get that everywhere. They settled down and we slept fine. The bed was comfortable too. ALSO seeing as though we stayed in the middle of winter I must say the room was always lovely, cosy and warm.

I'd certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who was looking for somewhere a little different to stay. The staff were lovely, they were helpful and very polite. Also the freebies really do make you feel as though you are getting a much better deal than the surrounding hotels and frankly I'd have to say you most certainly are.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LeashaAnn,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review on TripAdvisor. It was great to learn that you were able to enjoy our long list of freebies and made the most of our location and enjoyed all the hotspots in our local area.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My regular Melbourne hotel over the last few years has been the Intercontinental but it has become so expensive - so I came across the Ovolo and made a booking for earlier this week.

I had a hire a car and luckily there are a few one hour spaces out the front of hotel in Little Bourke st which makes baggage drop off easy - the Hotel has an arrangement with the secure carpark in Collins street -$20 flat rate overnight is the best deal in Melbourne by far.Upon check in I was greeted by Andreus who was really helpful and informative about all of the features the hotel offers - I dropped bags and went to park the car and by the time I got back my bags had been taken to the roo m - in one of the bags was a bottle of wine and two bottles of beer - as I entered the room as a staff member arrived with two wine glasses and a bottle opener - nice touch.

The one Bedroom suite is fabulous with a large lounge/dinning room,bar area which doubles as a work bench for PC( great free wifi included )nice bathroom with two separate shower heads and a nice bedroom - bed maybe a touch firm but no big thing.Open the fridge and find free glasses of white wine,2 x sol beer,sparkling and still water.Happy hour 6-8pm downstairs offers the same free drinks plus glasses of red wine.

Their is instant coffee in the room or a great pod style coffee machine at reception which is great and easy to use.Upon check out I asked to see the 2 bedroom suites and Sales Manager Kelly facilitated this request with a smile.

The Ovolo is in a great spot with so many great restaurants and bars within easy walking distance - I visited Gingerboy which is a must visit restaurant within 200 metres.I would recommend Ovolo to anyone and think it punches well above its weight.

Room Tip: Room 101 is comfortable
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear audist,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review following your recent stay with us. It was great to read that you were able to enjoy your time with us and that our staff were able to add to your experience.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street? Share your experiences!