“Lovely little place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #27 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Gold coast
“Lovely little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Took a trip down to Melbourne earlier in the year and chose to stay at this new boutique hotel.

Firstly I must say the main selling point for me was the free mini bar, free happy hour and free wifi. I cannot say I have ever been to a hotel that has offered so many freebies. They also have a cute 'grab and go' breakfast each morning ( also free) which is held down in the lobby. So many delicious pastries to choose from and fresh coffee. We opted out of the that though most mornings and walked just across the street to a little Cafe/bakery and had bacon and eggs which was delicious.

The hotel is pretty much situated at the top of the Bourke Street which was great because it's right beside a tram station, just a short walk away. China Town again is only a short walk down the road and that is where we spent most of our nights eating dinner. Also I might add that if you catch the Skybus from the airport to Southern Cross station they offer a free transfer to 'selected' hotels and Ovolo Hotel is on their list- although might I add on the Skybus website it was not when I looked. I put this down to the hotel being quite new.

The room was lovely, bathroom a little small but nothing we couldn't handle. We opted for the studio suite as we were staying in Melbourne for 5 days so we needed a little extra space. The little lounge and tv set up was perfect and the room was mostly quiet. We had a couple of nights when we were kept awake by people outside stumbling home and visitors in the room beside us. The walls are thin but you get that everywhere. They settled down and we slept fine. The bed was comfortable too. ALSO seeing as though we stayed in the middle of winter I must say the room was always lovely, cosy and warm.

I'd certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who was looking for somewhere a little different to stay. The staff were lovely, they were helpful and very polite. Also the freebies really do make you feel as though you are getting a much better deal than the surrounding hotels and frankly I'd have to say you most certainly are.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear LeashaAnn,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review on TripAdvisor. It was great to learn that you were able to enjoy our long list of freebies and made the most of our location and enjoyed all the hotspots in our local area.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My regular Melbourne hotel over the last few years has been the Intercontinental but it has become so expensive - so I came across the Ovolo and made a booking for earlier this week.

I had a hire a car and luckily there are a few one hour spaces out the front of hotel in Little Bourke st which makes baggage drop off easy - the Hotel has an arrangement with the secure carpark in Collins street -$20 flat rate overnight is the best deal in Melbourne by far.Upon check in I was greeted by Andreus who was really helpful and informative about all of the features the hotel offers - I dropped bags and went to park the car and by the time I got back my bags had been taken to the roo m - in one of the bags was a bottle of wine and two bottles of beer - as I entered the room as a staff member arrived with two wine glasses and a bottle opener - nice touch.

The one Bedroom suite is fabulous with a large lounge/dinning room,bar area which doubles as a work bench for PC( great free wifi included )nice bathroom with two separate shower heads and a nice bedroom - bed maybe a touch firm but no big thing.Open the fridge and find free glasses of white wine,2 x sol beer,sparkling and still water.Happy hour 6-8pm downstairs offers the same free drinks plus glasses of red wine.

Their is instant coffee in the room or a great pod style coffee machine at reception which is great and easy to use.Upon check out I asked to see the 2 bedroom suites and Sales Manager Kelly facilitated this request with a smile.

The Ovolo is in a great spot with so many great restaurants and bars within easy walking distance - I visited Gingerboy which is a must visit restaurant within 200 metres.I would recommend Ovolo to anyone and think it punches well above its weight.

Room Tip: Room 101 is comfortable
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear audist,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review following your recent stay with us. It was great to read that you were able to enjoy your time with us and that our staff were able to add to your experience.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

What a bonus for us, stumbling across the Ovolo hotel, Melbourne on tripadvisor! Great location, a fantastically comfortable one bedroom suite, helpful, accommodating staff and free Wifi. The freezer section of the fridge was iced over, but was cleared immediately when mentioned. The all inclusive minibar and loot bag were a bonus when we arrived late after a 2 hour flight delay. The grab & go breakfast was a plus, as was the always available "real" coffee . Bed great, good choice on tv, plenty hanging space and space for luggage, scuffs for room wear plus other thoughtful touches.
Close to good cafes and restaurants, shopping, parks and transport. We negotiated a later checkout with no difficulty and our luggage was stored until we departed.
For those who are interested there is 2 hours each evening for drinks near the reception area.
Our bathroom would have benefited from having an exhaust fan, to prevent fogging of mirrors and condensation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Terry A,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for posting such a glowing review following your recent stay with us. It is a pleasure to learn that our staff were able to enhance your experience and that you were able to take advantage of our all inclusive offerings.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Great staff. Great venue. Great room. Great mini bar. Great decor. Pretty much everything was great... Except our room was near a noisy compressor. Will ask for a room away from that next time. Overall wonderful experience in a great location. Grab and go breakfast was heaven for my wife. She could have sat and eaten the Danishes all day!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bilski81,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent experience at our hotel. It was fantastic to read that you enjoyed your time with us and your wife was able to take advantage of our free Grab n Go breakfast.

Please ensure you contact us directly when you are planning your next visit to Melbourne so we can allocate you a room that meets your preferences.

Maroochydore, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed at the Ovolo hotel for 5 nights, beautiful reception, staff very accommodating and helpful, had a 2 bed apartment.
Luxury beds. Kids excited as plasma tv's in both bedrooms and living area. Free wifi.
Very modern, loved the minibar which was all inclusive saved you having to remember to stop off at the bottle shop. Great position for china town, which was great for us coming from the Sunshine Coast not much choice of Chinese food.
Went to see 1 direction which was initially the reason for our holiday to Melbourne. Lots to do especially with a 6 yr old and 14 yr old.
Would definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor no noise but no view either which was fine as we where out all day.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Allison,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We were delighted to learn that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Ovolo for three nights over the weekend of the AFL Grand Final - we were incredibly grateful just to find somewhere to stay in such a busy period for Melbourne.

We arrived at the hotel early and the staff were more than happy to store our bags for us until we returned - we returned that night and they had been taken straight up to our room, which was a thoughtful gesture as it was a busy day all around.

The room was clean, has everything we needed and we really appreciated the extra touch of a free loot bag, toiletries and a free mini bar! The last thing we wanted to do was venture out after a long day on our feet, so it made for a lovely night in.

All of the staff we came across were friendly and obliging - especially Andre and Matt. One night during our stay we came back with a desire for an icy cold drink, and despite not having any ice, Andre went out of his way to source some and deliver it up to our room, it was really thoughtful and well above and beyond the call of duty. Matt was super friendly and helpful on checkout, allowing us a later checkout time, storing our bags and organising a taxi to the station when we had to leave.

We're already planning our return trip to Ovolo - we couldn't recommend it more highly for good value, great location and awesome staff.

Room Tip: Our room was on a higher floor but backed onto the alley - it was a bit noisy at night but nothing m...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear amyblit,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community. It was great to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that our staff were able to enhance your experience. Thank you also for your recommendation and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here last week as my last stop of a short holiday. I really liked my room, but the bathroom basin was tiny! I am female and of course have a lot of toiletries/makeup and they didn't have enough room to sit :( I requested a late checkout as I had a night flight home and I could only get until 12pm as my room had already been booked that night for someone else.
Apple TV was not working when my partner and I tried to use it.
Upon checkout I checked my credit card and even though I had prepaid online for the room, I had been charged again but a quick phone call to the hotel and they reversed the charge.
I would definitely stay here again and recommend to my friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear cheyennetiara,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. It was great to learn that you enjoyed your time with us.

Sorry for the confusion regarding payment upon check out, though I am glad we were able to rectify the problem for you immediately.

Thank you also for your recommendation and we look forward to being able to welcome you back again some time soon.