“Fantastic stay - great location & everything you could ask for!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ovolo Hotel to your Saves list
Ovolo Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #33 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Fantastic stay - great location & everything you could ask for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Ovolo for three nights over the weekend of the AFL Grand Final - we were incredibly grateful just to find somewhere to stay in such a busy period for Melbourne.

We arrived at the hotel early and the staff were more than happy to store our bags for us until we returned - we returned that night and they had been taken straight up to our room, which was a thoughtful gesture as it was a busy day all around.

The room was clean, has everything we needed and we really appreciated the extra touch of a free loot bag, toiletries and a free mini bar! The last thing we wanted to do was venture out after a long day on our feet, so it made for a lovely night in.

All of the staff we came across were friendly and obliging - especially Andre and Matt. One night during our stay we came back with a desire for an icy cold drink, and despite not having any ice, Andre went out of his way to source some and deliver it up to our room, it was really thoughtful and well above and beyond the call of duty. Matt was super friendly and helpful on checkout, allowing us a later checkout time, storing our bags and organising a taxi to the station when we had to leave.

We're already planning our return trip to Ovolo - we couldn't recommend it more highly for good value, great location and awesome staff.

Room Tip: Our room was on a higher floor but backed onto the alley - it was a bit noisy at night but nothing m...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear amyblit,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community. It was great to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that our staff were able to enhance your experience. Thank you also for your recommendation and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

381 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here last week as my last stop of a short holiday. I really liked my room, but the bathroom basin was tiny! I am female and of course have a lot of toiletries/makeup and they didn't have enough room to sit :( I requested a late checkout as I had a night flight home and I could only get until 12pm as my room had already been booked that night for someone else.
Apple TV was not working when my partner and I tried to use it.
Upon checkout I checked my credit card and even though I had prepaid online for the room, I had been charged again but a quick phone call to the hotel and they reversed the charge.
I would definitely stay here again and recommend to my friends.

Dear cheyennetiara,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. It was great to learn that you enjoyed your time with us.

Sorry for the confusion regarding payment upon check out, though I am glad we were able to rectify the problem for you immediately.

Thank you also for your recommendation and we look forward to being able to welcome you back again some time soon.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I booked through booking.com to celebrate our 1 yr anniversary, the room was quite expensive, $799 for 2 nights but considering the circumstances ( being our wedding anniversary and also grand final weekend) we booked anyway after veiwing the photos online and checking reviews. I booked the room around 4 weeks in advance and also emailed with some enquiries and requests if available but got no return contact in regards to my enquiries whatsoever.

When we arrived at the hotel the staff where initially very approachable and proffessional, but as soon as we went to pay for the room we were charged a booking fee of $100 ontop of our room costs that we were not told about when booking.

A little disgruntled, we paid and continued on our way to our room. When we opened the door we were dumb founded by the size of the room, as we'd seen photos and the room looked nothing like them. It was tiny! But trying to maintain our good mood for our weekend away and not ruin our experience we continued with our stay and decided to get ready to go out for dinner and drinks to celebrate our big night. My partner proceeded to take a nice relaxing shower, about 5-10 mins into it the room phone rang, when i answered the reception attendant asked "ummm are you by chance having a shower?" i replied "yes", is there a problem" to which he responded with "can you please stop, we have a leak in reception and we beleive it is coming from your room" i told my wife to stop and asked the receptionist to ring us as soon as they had word on how long it would take but before i could tell him we were in the process of getting ready, the phone was hung up. So we waited for a phone call back, didnt happen....i rang back about half an hour later and told the reception attendant that we were about to head out and both needed to have showers to get ready he replied with "well, we dont have any other available rooms, if you absolutely have to, can you make it quick" i couldnt beleive it...make it quick?..... are you kidding me? i just paid $800 for 2 nights in a much smaller than expected room, charged a $100 booking fee that we were unaware of and have been here no more than 3hrs and now have to rush a shower and shave to get ready for my wedding anniversary dinner??.....unbeleivable!

We continued to prepare for our night, my wife washed the shampoo from her hair after being stopped mid shower, then i had a 3 min shower and got ready to get out of the room and try to change the mood of the night by having dinner and a few drinks. As we went through reception we asked if the problem was going to be resolved, we got no apology for the happenings, just told that a plumber would be coming in the next hour. not impressed!!

After our dinner and a change of mood, we got back in the early hours of the morning. There was a different person at reception who was aware of the issue but unsure of any outcome/solution to the problem, he just advised us to try to keep our showers to as minimal time as possible. Trying to stay composed and calm, we went back to our room and proceeded to our bed to retire for the night.

I drew back the covers and realised our "queen" bed was two singles pushed together! not to mention the matresses are quite firm and the pillows were fairly dense and unsupporting, both nights sleep i woke with neck soreness. Also the walls are considerably thin, we could hear everyone walking on little bourke st all night, horse and carts riding past and people opening and closing room doors from the hallway, i wanted to complain and make it known i was unhappy but i needed to keep a cool head so that my wife could enjoy our special night.

The next morning my wife went down to organise our free daily breakfast, she went to make coffee but the positioning of the coffee machine meant that if you are standing there to make your coffee between the machine and the reception desk, you were blocking the entry and exit of the hotel so she opted for room coffee, breakfast consisted of various baskets of fruits and pastries BUT no trays to take it back to the room, just white take away bags like a truck stop. My wife was going to ask if there were trays or carry bags available but the male receptionist was busy chatting to another woman who stood staring at my wife, making her feel quite uncomfortable, so she grabbed a couple of pastries and headed back to our room and filled me in on the happenings.

Being the last straw we decided to checkout out early and head home, we went downstairs and asked to checkout, the receptionist commented that we were the first people to checkout for the day then proceeded to ask how our stay was,...there was a bit of a pause then i replied that "it was ok....apart from our shower issue and the size of the room" to which i got no apology again, just "oh really, what happened".....then quickly interupted with "ok so there is nothing to be finalised here as you have already made payment on arrival, would you like me to call you a taxi?" i was about to reply with how unacceptable the service had been and how our 1st wedding anniversary had been made fairly average as a result of the standards of the hotel, when i glanced at my wife and saw the dissapointment on her face and thought enough.....just head home and keep it civil, end this as nicely as possible and deal with it later.......so here we are. I am extremely dissapointed that our anniversary was not as perfect as i had planned and am highly disgruntled with the fact that the events at the hotel effected negatively on both myself and wife's moods over the course of our weekend, she deserved much better....WE deserved much better!

The location of the hotel is its best feature with plenty of restaurants and bars nearby, and lots of entertainment within walking distance. Followed closely by its cleanliness, the reception and foyer are immaculately kept and the facade of the building is quite simple but yet still inviting!

It is a real shame that our experience has left us with quite negative feelings towards to the hotel as it has the potential to be an excellent place to enjoy some quality time for families, couples or even singles coming to experience melbourne living.

Room Tip: make sure you double check the room photos and dont be mislead by the room descriptions, ring the ho...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear causisayso,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor albeit less than perfect. I would like to start by offering my sincerest apologies in regards to the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. I will be investigating the situation regarding your shower as a matter of urgency to ensure the response you initially received remains an isolated one. Though these issues at times are unable to be avoided, you should certainly expect to be kept informed of the progress and I again apologise for our lack of contact with you during this time.

Please note that the $100.00 pre-authorisation that was taken upon check-in acts as a bond for the room and is released around 48 hours after departure; this is not a booking fee or a charge.
You will be pleased to know that Ovolo Melbourne does have trays for breakfast and these can be found in all guest rooms should you wish to use them. We are also in the process of placing mattress toppers on those of our beds that can be split into single beds for additional comfort.

I can see that you were in contact with our reception team prior to your arrival regarding an early check in request and from your response it seems as though we were able to answer all your questions. As your grievances were not discussed prior to your departure I would very much like you to contact me directly on +613 8692 0777 or via email at joshnoonan@ovologroup.com to discuss them in more detail.

Monterrey, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The rooms were tiny, specially the bathroom, it's very small even in new york standards! The good part is it's location, a lot of nice restaurants and bars near by.
Its also nice the have a coffe machine downstairs all the time, but breakfast was sad, i has no place to eat it, so you have to take it back to your tiny room

Room Tip: Plase only choose this hotel if you have no trouble with very very small rooms
Dear panchomty,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. I am delighted you enjoyed the hotels location and our complimentary refreshment bar in the lobby.

Regarding the size of our rooms we do have many alternatives ranging from 25square meters for a Studio Room to 81square meters for our Penthouse. We do find most guests prefer the space offered in our 1 Bedroom Suites at 43 Square meters.

Should you find yourself in Melbourne again and wish to return our front desk team would be delighted to assign you a larger room.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed with a friend over the weekend, in a one bedroom suite,
Check in was painless easy and professional, advised us of all the usual, how to operate the lift, and wi-fi, and off we went, to level 3 to our one bedroom suite. Beautiful but small and compact reception area, during breakfast / check out time it can get a little busy, Free little goodie bag waiting for us on our coffee table of our suite was fantastic as we were a tad hungy after a travelling from Queensland, also cute little items like slippers and shopping backpack.

Bathroom was spacious, housekeeping replaced towels everyday (big plush bath towels) took our rubbish out and did forget to restock our mini bar, however not an issue as from 6pm-8pm each night there is happy hour, in the reception, Took us awhile to figure out our apple tv, however thats just user error im pretty sure, 2x televisions! massive comfy couch, with all the modern touches. Breakfast each morning was just what we needed, a danish, coffee and an orange juice before we set off on a exploring adventure. I personally dont like the full hot buffet breakfasts, so this was just perfect.
Kitchenette was stocked with plates, glasses and cutlery, however I do realise it states as a suite and not an apartment, but having no sink to rinse or wash my dishes was slightly annoying, as i had to use the bathroom sink.. Something I wasnt too sure or felt right about. Wonderful lighting in the bathroom & full lengh mirror in the bedroom,

Receptionists were professional and welcoming, and even let us store our very heavy suitcases full of Melbourne shopping for the day before we flew back, and were always happy to call us taxi's or give us directions.
Thankyou Ovolo Hotel Melbourne for hosting us, we will be back in the future, we did fall in love with melbourne and your property.

Dear MsHRL,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback with the TripAdvisor community. It was great to read that you and your friend enjoyed your time with us and that our staff were able to enhance your stay.

You will be pleased to learn that we do have rooms with kitchen sinks and microwaves, so be sure to request these features when making your next reservation.

Thank you also for your recommendation and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

What a fab boutique hotel!
Really have enjoyed our stay at the Ovolo Melbourne.
Rooms are spacious, have loads of extras. Other reeviews have commented on bathroom sink being small and not much storage space -yes would have to agree but on the whole everything else has been wonderful.
Beds great to sleep on (all that is missing is they should all be King Size Doubles!) Free Wifi big plus. Loved the added touch of the goodie bag and FREE minibar :)
Step up area to bed looks nice, but could be dangerous at night if you forgot it was there.
Staff were so helpful and accomodating. We requested rooms near our friends and it was overlooked on original booking, but was recitified when we checked.
BONUS was flexibility in checkout. Really appreciated being able to have a later one due to evening flight.
Only issue would be the doorbell going off randomly continually while in a room on the 2nd floor. Other than that would highly recommend and we would definately stay here again. Location brilliant for getting around. Free tourist tram just around the corner which runs perimeter of the CBD so allows you to move around well. Little French Patisserie across the road was excellent and we had the BEST lunch here. It looks deceiving as only looks small, but loads of room inside.

Room Tip: Our room faced the alley and it was bit noisy on Fri and Sat night but other than that was great.
Dear DaMooseHoose,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback about your recent stay with us. It is great to learn that you enjoyed your time with us. I am glad that you enjoyed and were able to make use of our flexible check out times.

Thank you for your recommendation and we really look forward to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed twice at this hotel. It's in a great location - right in the city centre. About 8 blocks walk from Queen Vic Markets, about 20 mins walk to Brunswick Street. It's a clean, modern, funky hotel with a bit of difference and novelty. I stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment on both stays - plenty of room, large comfortable bed, hot rainwater shower with great pressure, lovely selection of toiletries and a few other freebies such as the welcome snack bag with chocolates, and the take-away day bag (you'll find it in the cupboard). The room had a small refrigerator and in-room safe (with default settings changed). My first stay was in room 107 - just above the delivery roller-door so a bit of noise with the door and staff congregating/talking below, which traveled up to the room easily. Second stay was on the fifth floor, and much quieter. Traveled by taxi from the airport ($50 one way), so can't comment on car parking arrangements. Free! happy hour drinks a great idea, free newspapers in the foyer, and a free muffin/pastry breakfast available. Lots of reviewers also mention the (also free) coffee machine in the foyer too - a great and welcome idea. Umbrellas available from reception if Melbourne puts on it's usual wet weather! Nearby you'll find several 7eleven stores, and right next door is a great boutique beer place. Would recommend and would stay again.

Room Tip: to avoid noise from the delivery bay, ask for a room on a higher floor, away from the laneway.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Boriski,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne!

Thank you for posting your online review with TripAdvisor. It was great to learn that you are a repeat guest and enjoyed your time with us on both occasions. The coffee machine in our reception area sure is popular and I am glad you were able to make use of it.

Please accept my apologies for the loud noises coming from our delivery area. You will be pleased to learn that this noise issue has now been fixed.

Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Hotel? Share your experiences!