“Brilliant!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

Save Saved
You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Special Offer
Free Room Upgrade!
Ranked #31 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Five us stayed for 3 nights. The apartment was awesome, clean, spacious with large outdoor terrace, great rooms, super comfy sofa which served as the extra bed. The rooms were really well set up, with one having an en-suite.

The bathrooms were clean and had everything you could need - dental kit, razers, body wash, shampoo and conditioner and if it wasn't there they would supply it for you.

The complementary drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) was an unexpected bonus as was the endless supply of yummy pastries and coffee in the foyer each morning! The staff were friendly and helpful.

Great location. I would definitely stay again and heartily recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Kelly W

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your time in residence and hope to see you again in the near future.

413 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I loved the location of this hotel right at the top of Chinatown which meant all the best and cheapest Asian cuisine was at our doorstep whilst being within walking distance of the main city shopping areas, Lygon st, and other attractions. The parliament tram stop with the free city circle line is just 2 minutes away and is a handy way to get around the city if you don't feel like shelling out for a myki card.

I also loved the free nespresso coffees and sweet breakfast treats in the lobby. And unlimited softdrinks, bottled water, sol beer and lupe white wine in the mini fridge and the lovely harneys teas and herbal infusions was a super convenient feature and one less thing to worry about.

The free wifi had decent bandwidth and never had issues connecting, though I did need to re login if the connection was left unused for a few hours or when I returned to the room after an outing. I was able to browse the web and upload thousands of pics to Flickr at the same time without problems.

The rooms were clean, bathroom spotless and house keeping was always done without a hitch.

Other features I enjoyed were the Apple TV, 42 inch LCD tv, DVD player (surprisingly i did get to use it) and the high quality Malin and goetz toiletries.

There were three things i did not like. The first is the bed.
The king bed was actually two single mattresses joined together. Consequently there was a hard ridge down the middle of the bed. The issue is compounded by the fact that the matresses were of different densities, meaning there was a hard side and a harder side. Aside from being hard you could also feel the springs through the mattress. It was a rather uncomfortable bed but I was able to put up with it.

The second was the plumbing and the noise associated with it when guests in other rooms were utilizing their toilets, showers and basins. Each time the basins and the showers were used a very loud hissing noise of water straining through the pipes was heard. And when someone flushed the toilet on the level above it sounded like a waterfall was cascading through the wall. The noise is of course dependant on the guests above so you could be unlucky and get a flush happy clean freak with the runs. Luckily the guests upstairs did not stay most of the week as after the first night the noises stopped for a few days and then started again towards the last night of our stay.

The third issue was the wash basin. Whilst I could put up with it being small, the ledge above it was placed too low making it difficult to rinse and spit after brushing your teeth.

If Ovolo got these three issues sorted out it would be perfect place to stay in all respects.

• Stayed September 2013
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Wazofoz,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such candid feedback .I am pleased that for the most part you enjoyed your stay with us.
You will be happy to note we are currently investigating purchasing mattress toppers for those of our rooms with a king/split bed, which should alleviate any discomfort. I would also like to discuss with you in more detail which room you were staying in so I may investigate the plumbing noise. I hope you will also be pleased to note that we do have room types with larger bathroom sinks and increased storage. Should you wish to stay with us again in the future our front desk team would be delighted to assign you one of these rooms.

I sincerely hope we will see again in the not too distant future.

gold coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently with our 17 year old daughter and the 2 bedroom apartment gave us ample space. The room is New York style, very cool and has good amentities. The room was very clean and beds extremely comfy. It is in a great location, a minutes walk to lovely restaurants and cafes. Just around the corner is an excellent deli focusing on organic foods. We got fresh juices there each morning. Breakfast is included in the room rate, it consists of wonderfully tasty pastries and muffins. For our family this is not substantial and we don't eat sweet stuff at breakfast so we ate elsewhere. Would highly recommend this hotel, the only thing it misses is a fitness centre onsite. They could team up with a nearby gym to offer such a facility.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear peterandsue,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your time in residence and hope to see you again in the near future.

Ovolo Melbourne
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Looks like the Ovolo people have thought through things and figured out what people need in a downtown hotel (clean rooms, comfortable beds and linen, drinking water, plenty of bathroom supplies, good tea and coffee, quick breakfast) and what they don't really need (room service, large lobbies, coffee shops and restaurants, and overbearing furniture). We stayed in a nice two bedroom that works well for families (the two wall sliding door to the second bedroom may not work as well if you're staying with a business partner). The location is central (a block from Chinatown) with plenty of fine Melbourne food options a minute or two away. The mattresses, sheets, pillows, were all of "good sleep quality". The bathroom was small but well appointed with mirrors, good shower, plenty of towels, and no niggling on bath supplies in either quantity or quality and, at least in our room, there was a shelf for toiletries above the sink and enough room to spit while brushing :) The guest laundry was a great plus as was the "grab and go" breakfast and the pod coffee machine in the lobby (it would be nice to have one in the room as well!). Throw in the free drinks and I wish all downtown hotels would follow the Ovolo's excellent example.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear WanderingLama,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a glowing review of your stay with us. Next time you find yourself in Melbourne please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to return.

Townsville, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Read nothing but good reviews about the Ovolo so had to book! I think they have a great concept and would say its based on the Virgin philosophy. Hotel is in a great location, service is superb, and the little freebies are a very nice touch. Minor points are the impossibly tiny sink in the bathroom (trying to brush your teeth is an event - better off doing this in the shower!), and having to have one hand on the sliding door to the bathroom as it wouldn't stay shut. A bigger issue is sound proofing. We stayed in a studio and conversations next door were clearly audible and a bit of a nuisance, especially when they came back late at night and were then extra loud! For this reason, I would not stay again. Shame, as its otherwise a pretty good all rounder.

Room Tip: Would not recommend a studio as if there are people staying next door, you WILL hear them.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jossers,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed our unique approach and found our service “superb”.

Rest assured the less than perfect aspects of your stay will be investigated as a matter of urgency. I do hope we will have a chance to redeem ourselves in the future.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the penthouse apartment with a few friends. It was everything and more that I could ask for! Nicely decorated, very modern, so clean, nice showers, high quality bathroom amenities and devine hot tub! The hotel is walking distance to some of Melbournes best restaurants and clubs. Thank u to Matt and the rest of the staff for their friendly and exceptional service. As a local I have stayed at many hotels here and I couldn't recommend any other than Ovolo.. Looking forward to spending another weekend here again soon.

• Stayed August 2013
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Vayia,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a glowing review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass your feedback on to Matt and the team.

Next time you wish to book please feel free to contact me directly.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I'm rather undecided about this hotel. From reading the website, you'd think "Why would anyone stay elsewhere?", but the experience was less than I expected.

First, the good bits...

The service is great. They think of the guest at every turn. Upon arrival, you'll find a Loot Bag of goodies to nosh. The mini-bar contains fizzy drinks, mineral water and sealed glasses of wine -- all free and replenished each day. (I did really enjoy a soft drink at the end of the day!)

There's an Apple TV for streaming your movies to a big screen, a shared laundry where you can wash your clothes for free, and free Internet with unlimited downloads and unlimited devices (although it did annoyingly make me re-login each day on each device).

There's a free "grab 'n go" breakfast in the morning, which is basically juice, coffee, savory muffins, danishes and fruit. Although I didn't attend, there's also a free drinks session in the early evening. There are dishes, cutlery and coffee facilities in the room -- all top class.

Basically, from the service standpoint they do really great.

Now to the room...

It's very clean. The bathroom shone with cleanliness. There's a full-size shower with "rainwater" head that gives a great wash. Beautiful shampoo and lotions. Lots of lovely, large towels. Good lighting to put your face on in the morning.

From there, however, things go a bit downhill. The room is utilitarian. Rather than plush carpet with grained wood furniture, you'll find faux-wood floors plus furniture that would look more at home in an Ikea catalog. There's a mirror that just sits on the floor, leaning against the wall. That's all okay, it just takes a bit of getting used to. In fact, the desk is enormous, covering most of one wall.

There is only a small cupboard, with things like a safe, ironing board and laundry bag (including a free 'green' shopping bag you're invited to keep). The clothes hangers are out in the open, like a shared room in a dormitory. I had a Studio room, so this might be different in other rooms.

The thing I most disliked was noise from other rooms. I had requested, and received, a room towards the back of the property, which only had a small translucent window and a fake curtain (perfectly sufficient). Most nights, the room was perfectly quiet. On Thursday night, however, the hotel seemed to fill up and I could hear my neighbours watching TV and getting excited over their show. Doors slammed, I could hear the lift bell (and I was the furthest from the lifts!) and I could hear water running through pipes when used by other rooms. It was during these experiences that I mentally downgraded the hotel.

I had a King bed, yet it was constructed by joining to single beds. This led to a 'ridge' down the middle. Quite strange, since the room didn't seem designed to be converted to a Twin setup.

Ovolo is a Hong Kong-based hotel group. It would seem that they have transplanted their Hong Kong hotel design to Australia, where the rooms are somewhat bigger. For example, the bathroom has a very generously-sized shower, yet the basin is unbearably small and is positioned below a shelf that makes it practically impossible to brush one's teeth and then spit into the sink. They could have easily fitted a bigger sink, yet they stuck with the "tiny room" design. There wasn't even anywhere to put my own toiletries in the the bathroom!

On a final positive note, I should mention that the hotel is in a great location if you want to be on the Eastern side of the CBD. Just a block or two from Chinatown and the Theatre District. Definitely check out King Kong while you're in town!

Room Tip: It's quieter away from the lifts, towards the rear of the property.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear fermax

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed our all-inclusive approach and found our service “great”.

I am concerned however about the less than perfect experience you had regarding the noise. I would very much like to discuss this with you in more detail so please feel free to contact me directly on +6138692 0777 or by email at joshnoonan@ovologroup.com.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Laneways? Share your experiences!