“What more could you ask for?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street

Save Saved
You added Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street to your Saves list
Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Special Offer
Free Room Upgrade!
Ranked #33 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“What more could you ask for?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Aside from being particularly delighted with the customer service, I thought it best to touch on a few things other people have mentioned in these reviews.. The noise from outside isn’t bad at all and really, you’re booking a hotel room in the CBD of Melbourne, you need to expect a little ‘outside’ noise. The hand basin although small didn’t really bother me as I’m happy to wash my face and brush my teeth in the shower however if you must wash your face in the sink I can see how this might prove problematic. The bed and pillows were beautiful. The breakfast pastries although yes they were mainly sweet still were nice as an ‘on the go’ option.
I also made very good friends with the nespresso machine! FREE COFFEE -need I say more?

Admittedly this hotel is pretty great! With all of the inclusions plus its location I’m sure this hotel practically sells itself. I was mostly impressed with the unusual approach Ovolo has taken with almost everything; they aren’t just like every other uninteresting hotel which I think is their key point of difference. I truly appreciated the warm, friendly and unpretentious welcome on check in from James who seemed more than happy to meet us and help us with our check in and then remained genuine throughout our stay, he really made sure we were looked after. There is nothing worse when you check into a hotel and you are given the exhausting honour of paying attention to a contrived script rattled off by an arrogant front desk clerk. James and the other girls on the desk really have that extra something that customer service tends to lack a lot of the time; people skills!

All in all it's clear to see that Ovolo is one of Melbourne's newest gems and we will definitely be staying here again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Caryn L

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing such a glowing review of the hotel. I am delighted you found our unique approach impressive and just like our front desk team, managed to develop a friendship with the Nespresso machine!

Thank you for mentioning James our Guest Services Agent, I will certainly pass your kind words on to him.

Please feel free to retain my details should you wish to stay with us again, it would be my pleasure to personally assist you.

406 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Very good rooms with excellent decor a real treat to come home to after a long day. Breakfast fresh and lovely to have coffee available whenever desired. Happy hour certainly went down a treat! Walls were a bit thin though which is not what you would expect from this sort of hotel.

Stayed July 2013
Dear Dm6030,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. I am delighted you enjoyed the décor of your room and it is great to see that you took advantage of our Happy Hour.

Should you wish to stay with us again in the future it would be my pleasure to personally assist you with your accommodation requirements.

Coffs Harbour, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Found this hotel on the internet (naturally) and thought I'd give it a go. Great position on Little Bourke Street with China Town and the CBD a short stroll away. There is an excellent coffee bar across the street and numerous eating places.The entrance is small but tastefully designed and the reception staff were particularly welcoming. We were delighted to be told of 'Happy Hour' in reception between 6- 8pm: yes, free drinks! And it didn't stop there: the Loot Bag in our room contained a selection of free snacks, and the bar fridge had complimentary wine, juice and soft drink. Cute touches like the 'Happy Feet' bag of towelling slippers and quality bathroom products added to the sense of being spoilt without the hefty price-tag. There is no parking on the premises but a discounted multi-level car-park is just around the corner ($15 for the night, cheaper than most city hotels charge for onsite parking). The boldly coloured apartment doors and the astro-turf covered bench in the lift lobby were quirky touches. The understated modern décor of the room and the ceiling height glass bricks (no view but plenty of light) helped make our stay really comfortable. We'll be back! (Forgot to mention the faux-leather box to house the remote controls: very cute!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Latte62,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review in regards to your recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your time in residence and I am particularly pleased to see the smaller touches such as our remote control holders have not gone unnoticed.

Should you wish to stay with us again in the future, please feel free to contact me directly so I may personally assist you.

Tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a very chic little hotel in a great location! Just outside are a number of great little restaurants and cafes and it's a short hop, skip and jump to the shops!

Everything is stylish, right down to the tea bags and soaps. And soooo quiet. I am staying in a studio for 6 nights whilst I attend a conference. There is a large desk space (great for working) and the bathroom is adequate. The sink is tiny, but there is a bench above for storing skin care and cosmetics. Then you can use the extra long desk space if you run out of room!

This is most adequate for one and great for a couple for a short stay in Melbourne. The nearest train station (Parliament station) is 500 metres, so it's quite central.

I just love the added extras like the loot bag (full of sweeties and savories) and the mini bar which comes free of charge! Help yourself to a glass or two of sav blanc, boutique beers or some fresh juices or bottled water!

To top it all off, there is free wifi! and it is soooo warm! I love it !! I will be back for sure!!!

Room Tip: My studio was very quiet. It was on the south side.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear ChalouTasmania,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for posting such a glowing review of the hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your time in residence and found our Studio room perfectly suited to your needs.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We reaaly enjoyed our stay here. As mentioned in many other reviews the free wi-fi and minibar are fantastic! The breakfast is served near the reception and is fresh. It's easy to take with you if you're in a hurry or you can just take it up to your room. The coffee (Nespresso) is free too. The staff are very helpful and friendly.

The room was clean, the shampoo and stuff were replenished as needed. The airconditioner was silent and warmed the room up perfectly. The only thing we found a bit annoying was the noise. Our room was located at the front of the building and every morning around 5am (Mondays they started at 2am) they came to collect the garbage. Of course the hotel can't really be blamed, but for 2 jetlagged people this was not the best way to start our day.

Other than that, we had a perfect stay and will definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anno1982,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Ovolo experience with the Trip Advisor community.

I am glad that you found our staff friendly and helpful. On another note I am a little concerned about the noise you experienced from the garbage trucks each morning. All Ovolo Melbourne room types are located in different parts of the building, so should you wish to stay with us again our front desk team would be delighted to allocate you a room away from any street noise.

On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel based on the favourable reviews we read on TripAdvisor, and the hotel certainly lived up to its hype. Very glad we made this decision, especially when we managed to get a relatively good price for it (I am guessing it was new then, as the price as gone up now). The location is very central (for us anyway), and there are lots of restaurants and bars right outside the hotel. In fact, one very nice "fusion/Thai" restaurant we dined at was right outside our hotel (called Longrain). A 2 min walk down one of the alleys brought us to a street filled with lovely cafes for brunch, and also Pellegrini's which apparently is a Melbourne institution that you have to visit at least once when you're there. As we were renting a car, we needed a place to park it for the 5 days that we were there, and for those of you who don't know, Melbourne CBD parking can rack up around $70 a day! Thus, it was indeed a relief that Ovolo provides these little tickets for their guests which cap the parking fees at $15 a day, or per exit, whichever works out cheaper. The carpark is accessible 24-hours a day, and was a very short walk away from the hotel. Melbourne high street where all the shopping, etc. is was again a short walk away from the hotel (around 15 mins perhaps at a leisurely pace). In terms of the little extra touches, it's not often that we get to a hotel and are greeted by a free minibar (including beer and wine), a cute little welcome bag containing snacks which pretty much was our first meal there, and also unlimited drinks from the bar at reception between 6-8pm (if I remember correctly). The staff were always accommodating, allowing us to check in early and check out late. The room itself was modern, minimalistic and very clean. Everything about it was comfortable and exactly like what the pictures show. All in all, we really enjoyed our trip there, and Ovolo Hotel made it possible for us to have lazy days in where we just didn't feel the need to go out all day - a lovely little hotel which I'd definitely recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main alley might be slightly noisy in the day, but it seems efforts are put in to e...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ccwh,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and favourable review regarding your stay with us back in April.

I am delighted we managed to live up to your expectations and it seems you made the most of your time with us.

If you do find yourselves in Melbourne again please feel free to contact me directly so I may personally look after your accommodation requirements.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Having checked out of The Metropol one night early, we chose the Ovolo due to its location near the Princess Theatre. From the moment we approached the magnificent doors to the moment we checked out, we were gushing: free mini bar! Free wi-fi! Free 'grab and go' breakfast!

The decor is gorgeous - modern apartment - the rooms large, with Apple TV and complimentary 'loot bag' and free mini bar including wine and beer.

Helpful staff, fab location, comfy beds, and did I mention the free mini-bar?

A brilliant surprise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Kreebeedee,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing such a glowing review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed our location, inclusions and décor.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to stay with us next time you are in Melbourne.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street? Share your experiences!