“Such an amazing hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #27 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Such an amazing hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

What can i say! My friends and i frequently stay at this hotel for special occasions or a weekend in the city and we all love it, i cant fault a single thing, we love the free mini bar, happy hour drinks, great location and amazing prices for a great stay in the city. i highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Joecas20,

Thank you for sharing such a positive review of Ovolo Melbourne.

Next time you wish to book, please contact me directly so I may personally assist you.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've stayed in many hotels in Melbourne, but this is one of the best. The staff on front desk were fantastic, even running out on to the street to flag down a taxi for me in the rain. If you can, upgrade to one of the penthouse suites (actually around the same price as some other average hotels in Melbourne). Quirky touches such as the pinball machine in my room made this a fun stay. Great location if you're going to the theatre, or for wandering around Chinatown. Everything is within walking distance.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a penthouse suite if you can, they are enormous and each has its own character.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear krismadden,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne.

I am delighted you found Ovolo Melbourne “Simply Stunning”. I will be sure to pass your feedback on to the front desk team and hope to see you again in the future.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne.
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I was extremely that this hotel was recommended to me - fantastic location (you can do everything on foot, have great restaurants in the immediate vicinity, tram stop near by and the airport shuttle hotel transfer stops there....), very modern look & design, but still very functional, exceptional staff, free wi-fi, free minibar, and free "grab as you go" breakfast every day - I felt very much at home at this hotel and would go back any day, for business or private stay in the city!

Room Tip: I am sure all rooms will be great!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Eva S,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your glowing feedback on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you found our location favourable and hope you made the most of the nearby restaurants.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you wish to book.

Brockham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

As a first time visitor Melbourne the Ovolo was the perfect place to stay. A two minute walk to China town, near the Parliament building & Queen Victoria exhibition building.
The hotel also sums up Melbourne, small, friendly & tastefully appointed. We had a problem with our original enquiry, & were given an upgrade to a one bedroom suite.
We need to mention Matt the guest service team leader. We have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world, but we have never had such a warm welcome. We didn't arrive until nearly 11:00pm but Matt had waited for us so he could personally welcome us to the hotel. We got us checked in & up to our room in no time. When we got to our room he had left a personal message for us in a card & on the room's blackboard, giving lots of information on what to do in Melbourne, very special.
The Ovolo provides lots of freebies, from a welcome pack full of goodies, mini bar, Wi-Fi (which wasn't so easy to get else where), free tea & coffee & a lovely breakfast buffet.
There is some noise from outside, especially first thing in the morning from dustcart's, but this to be expected in any city centre.
We would recommend this hotel to anybody who is coming to Melbourne, when we come back we will book back in here again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a one bed suite if you can
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AndrewPurser,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for posting such a glowing review of the hotel. I am delighted to see that you found our location favourable and enjoyed the all-inclusive approach we take. Thank you for mentioning Matt our Guest Services Team Leader, I will be sure to share this information with him.

Please feel free to contact myself or Matt directly next time you wish to book, it would be a pleasure to welcome you both back.

Kind Regards

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Last week we stayed in this hotel for three nights in a two bedroom suite. We were there with a lot of other travellers all flying in for a Melbourne wedding. Being on five floors it was quick and easy to get between floors to meet up with family and friends.

The staff on reception were all fantastic and friendly throughout our time with the exception of the two boys on shift when we checked out who barely looked up from the computer as we signed over $1000.

The room was great and we enjoyed the multiple TVs and especially the free wireless internet! The welcome pack and free mini bar was lovely and greatly appreciated. The sink in the bathroom was small but nowhere near as bad as many of the negative reviews I had read.

For $350 per night in a two bedroom accommodation facility I would like to have had a mini kitchen with at least a toaster to provide quick food options for kids.

The location was great too because the the church and reception was very close by for our purposes but it was also extremely close to the free city circle tram to get us around to Melbourne Central.

My only gripe was the air con. It never seemed to go below 22 degrees in our room and compared to other rooms we went in ours was very stuffy. The girls on reception lent us a fan upon request which was nice and showed us how to adjust it lower but it never seemed to get below 22 which was a bit annoying.

We would stay again. Thank you :)

Room Tip: Don't expect a room with a view, it's a low hotel. The one or two bedroom suites were a gre...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tammy_Riley,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted we were able to provide a convenient base throughout the wedding celebrations. I have investigated the air-conditioning issue experienced in your room and it is currently being rectified. On another note I am glad to see for the most part our reception team were friendly, having said that I do apologise for your less than perfect farewell and will be addressing this with the staff members involved.
It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to Ovolo Melbourne so please contact me directly next time you wish to book.

Kind Regards

Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at the Ovolo Melbourne for business.
The room was quite large with great design and good feature.
Good bed and bathroom, although space would allow for an extra counter to put toiletries.
Breakfast counter was great and convenient when you are on the go.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear PE V,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for your short yet positive review.

Next time you are travelling to Melbourne please contact me directly so I may personally assist with your accommodation requirements.

Everywhere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I booked Ovolo last minute through Mr and Mrs Smith - very happy with the result. Great location and unlike prior reviews I found my room very quiet (it faced Little Bourke Street) even on a Friday night. The blackout curtains ensured I didn't wake too early - brilliant. Agree on the small sinks but I just brushed my teeth and washed my face in the shower, no worries.

The hotel was very clean, modern, and all the little extras have been thought of - unlimited coffee, bottled water, and Charlies OJ complimentary downstairs all day were much appreciated. The complimentary mini bar in the room was well stocked and well used by me! One thing - one of my waters had clearly been opened and refilled (possibly by a previous guest!?) and the skittles in my loot bag were opened and half eaten. Worth the cleaning staff checking these things.

I only have ONE gripe - through Mr and Mrs Smith I had a guaranteed 1pm checkout. Knowing this, I went out on the town on Friday night with a big sleep in expected on the Saturday morning. The cleaning guy rang the very loud doorbell at 10:30am to wake me up and ask what time I was checking out - I said 1pm. He again rang the bell at 12:55pm (I know, 5 min early, but still) as I was getting ready to get out of the room. For a "guaranteed 1pm checkout" perk from a premium booking website, I found this annoying to say the least. Again worth training the cleaning guys (or keeping them informed) re check out times.

Other than that - it was a brilliant stay - fab location, lovely sleep, fantastic front desk staff - and I would happily stay again next time I'm in Melbourne.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Travelforages,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and found Ovolo good value. I will of course be sharing your feedback with our housekeeping manager to ensure they are inspecting the “Loot Bags” and understand the 1300 check-out for all Mr & Mrs Smith guests. It is only through honest feedback such as yours we are able to improve on our shortcomings.

On behalf of the entire team we hope to welcome you back in the near future.