“Business Review” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Special Offer
FREE WI-FI
Ranked #38 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Bangkok
“Business Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at the Ovolo Melbourne for business.
The room was quite large with great design and good feature.
Good bed and bathroom, although space would allow for an extra counter to put toiletries.
Breakfast counter was great and convenient when you are on the go.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear PE V,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for your short yet positive review.

Next time you are travelling to Melbourne please contact me directly so I may personally assist with your accommodation requirements.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Everywhere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I booked Ovolo last minute through Mr and Mrs Smith - very happy with the result. Great location and unlike prior reviews I found my room very quiet (it faced Little Bourke Street) even on a Friday night. The blackout curtains ensured I didn't wake too early - brilliant. Agree on the small sinks but I just brushed my teeth and washed my face in the shower, no worries.

The hotel was very clean, modern, and all the little extras have been thought of - unlimited coffee, bottled water, and Charlies OJ complimentary downstairs all day were much appreciated. The complimentary mini bar in the room was well stocked and well used by me! One thing - one of my waters had clearly been opened and refilled (possibly by a previous guest!?) and the skittles in my loot bag were opened and half eaten. Worth the cleaning staff checking these things.

I only have ONE gripe - through Mr and Mrs Smith I had a guaranteed 1pm checkout. Knowing this, I went out on the town on Friday night with a big sleep in expected on the Saturday morning. The cleaning guy rang the very loud doorbell at 10:30am to wake me up and ask what time I was checking out - I said 1pm. He again rang the bell at 12:55pm (I know, 5 min early, but still) as I was getting ready to get out of the room. For a "guaranteed 1pm checkout" perk from a premium booking website, I found this annoying to say the least. Again worth training the cleaning guys (or keeping them informed) re check out times.

Other than that - it was a brilliant stay - fab location, lovely sleep, fantastic front desk staff - and I would happily stay again next time I'm in Melbourne.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Travelforages,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and found Ovolo good value. I will of course be sharing your feedback with our housekeeping manager to ensure they are inspecting the “Loot Bags” and understand the 1300 check-out for all Mr & Mrs Smith guests. It is only through honest feedback such as yours we are able to improve on our shortcomings.

On behalf of the entire team we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

quevara
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay. Location is near Spring St, great for meals at The European or Supper Club. It was pretty noisy because I had a room facing Little Bourke St so sleep wasnt great. Shower took ages to warm up and wasnt hot like I am used to at home. Also very poor quality showers considering there was both a rainforest overhead shower and a normal handheld, which was disappointing.

Having said that, staff were very friendly and this is a good value accommodation in a top location.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear quevara

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback regarding your stay with us. I am delighted you found our location favourable and staff friendly. In regards to our showers I will certainly have our hot water system inspected. I am under the impression the fixtures and fittings fell short of your expectations and for that I do apologise.

I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Our stay at Ovolo was fantastic! We stayed for four nights and were more than impressed from the moment we arrived!
The staff who were at reception when we arrived (at 11pm) were very friendly and extremely helpful. Our room was the size of a studio apartment (the bathroom was a little small but still very nice). We had an L-shaped lounge along with a tv with many channels which was nice in the morning that we wanted to sleep in and just laze about before we went walking around Melbourne.

The hotel does not have facilities for breakfast but put on a "grab-and-go" which is lovely. Pastries, fruit etc. perfect to pick up before you head off exploring! They have unlimited mini bar for your room which included water, milk, juice and beer and wine. They also have a nespresso coffee machine and unlimited drinks fridge down in the lobby for all guests to help them selves too.

I highly recommend this hotel for singles, couples and business trips.

I will 100% only stay at this hotel when I return to Melbourne!

AMAZING!!!!!!!!

One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Carla110490

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for posting such a glowing review on Trip Advisor.

On behalf of the entire team we are looking 100% forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We arrived in Melbourne today (from Wellington, NZ) and couldn't have been happier since we arrived at The Ovolo. It really does completely raise the bar on what hotels should/could be like. They let us check in early (which was really appreciated after a 6am flight from NZ), and the room we'd booked (studio apartment) was really stylish and so well set up. The free WIFI is fantastic and fantastic for us to keep in touch with clients during our stay. The compliments go on and on - we have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anywhere who wants a real treat at such a great price. We spent all day walking past other hotels and wondering why people wouldn't choose to stay at Ovolo - it doesn't get much better!

Room Tip: The Studio Apartment is worth the extra $$ - space and extra style.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear rhopenz,

Thank you for sharing your “awesome” feedback.

I am delighted we were able to check you both in early; I know firsthand how tiresome early flights can be.

Next time you are in Melbourne it would be my pleasure to assist you with your accommodation requirements.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed at the Ovolo for two nights over Easter. We had a studio suite, 25 square metres, which was very comfortable.

The "grab and go" breakfast is a bit limited - only being pastries and muffins. Some healthier options might be nice. The coffee machine in the foyer is a nice option, better than the sachets of instant coffee in the rooms. The free mini bar (beer and white wine) was nice, although a little limited.

The staff were helpful and courteous.

I have only three gripes.

First, the pillows were far too soft (plenty of them, but all the same). We ended up using the cushions from the couch, which were much more comfortable. Some variation in the pillows provided would help with meeting different requirements.

Secondly, the TV is on the same wall as the bed head. its great for watching tv from the couch, but my travelling companion likes to watch tv in bed (it's a sort of holiday treat).

The third gripe is probably more fundamental, and not very easy to fix. The very small handbasin in the bathroom is too small for someone to wash their face or clean their teeth without hitting their head on the mirror and/or spilling water on the floor. The studio suite has plenty of room, and if the bathroom wall were extended by something around 30 centimetres, the small handbasin could be set back from the wall just enough to make it functional, rather than a design nightmare. Thirty centimetres would not diminish the spacious feel of the studio suite, and yet would make the bathroom so much better.

All in all, a very pleasant stay, but the nuisance value of the bathroom would probably mean that I won't be returning. A pity.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Susannah_m,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your recent hotel experience on Trip Advisor.

In relation to our "Grab n’ Go” breakfast we are currently looking at including other alternatives, of a more nutritional nature. In addition to our beer and sauvignon blanc we also have a cabernet sauvignon available upon request from reception. Unfortunately as you mentioned the size of the bathroom sinks are not easily changed however I am delighted to let you know that we do have room types such as our 1 Bedroom Suite with larger basins. The sinks in these rooms should alleviate any discomfort when brushing your teeth or washing your face.

I understand we may not be your first choice in Melbourne, however should you wish to return it would be my pleasure to personally assist you with your accommodation requirements.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

i stayed at the ovolo with my partner for a friends wedding.

the service was amazing.
very friendly and very helpful with recommending restaurants.

i loved little touches like free nespresso and mini bar and happy hour.

although they failed to fill up the milk the first day we arrived so it was long blacks.

the malin + goetz bath products and organic teas where lovely.
and the big comfy pillows were amazing to sleep on.

the only cons i have is our bathroom was nothing like the photos.
it reminded me of my bathroom in labour ward.
and the "hot" water was luke warm.
i love my hot showers. so this wasn't the best way to wake up.
and our toilet roll holder was missing so our toilet paper was just balancing on a rail.

#firstworldproblems

also our roof had a large patch of mould growing on it.
which was off putting.

and got quite noisy outside at night which woke me up a few times and im a deep sleeper.

but would i stay there again?
yes definetly.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear nell_dirt,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that you found the service amazing and enjoyed our inclusions. From your description I am under the impression that the room you stayed in was an access room, of which we only have two, the bathroom design in these rooms is different to the rest of our suites. I will investigate both of these rooms in order to address the maintenance issues you encountered.

Next time you wish to stay with us it would be my pleasure to personally assist you.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Laneways? Share your experiences!