“Boutique hotel on a budget” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Special Offer
FREE WI-FI
Ranked #38 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
London
“Boutique hotel on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my 30th birthday after getting a $169 a night deal from Wotif.com.

Pros:

-It's in a great location - you can easily walk up to Fitzroy or into town. Takes about 20 mins to walk to Flinders St station.
- the cleaning staff are not stingy with the replacement of shower gel/shampoo miniatures if they've been used (a real bugbear of mine!)
- free mini bar and snacks on arrival
- flexible check in and out times - we arrived at 11am and they let us in, and left at 2pm. Our room was free before and after but I thought that was great service.
- helpful (and seemingly 24 hour) reception staff
- personalised air con in the rooms
- bowls/plates and cutlery in the room so you can buy cereal and milk/takeaways

Cons:
- windows not double glazed so can get a little bit noisy with the trams nearby and people partying in the street. We were on floor 2 and we still managed to sleep though. Also not sure how cold this would mean it gets in winter.
- grab and go breakfast is pretty bad; the pastries are hard and dry like they've been there forever and the muffins are tasteless. Buy some cereal and milk from the 7/11 round the corner.
- the sink in the bathroom is way too small (about 6 inches out from the wall!) so when you attempt to wash your face or drink water from your hands after brushing your teeth, you manage to get it all down your legs and on the floor. Poor design really as the shower is massive.

It was just about good value at the equiv of £100 a night but I wouldn't pay more, especially with no real breakfast.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear RuthbLondon,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted you chose to celebrate your landmark birthday at Ovolo Melbourne.
In relation to our “Grab N’ Go” Breakfast I have certainly taken your feedback on board and will discuss this with the appropriate departments. Should you find an agreeable rate and wish to stay with us again in the future, our staff would be delighted to allocate your room to a higher floor alleviating any outside noise.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Ovolo on Little Bourke. I was incredibly impressed with the inclusions, given the very reasonable room rate. Other reviewers have detailed what those inclusions are - all I'll add is that the breakfast pastries were clearly from a top-notch patisserie, and there was no scrimping on the free drinks. It's the sort of thing which makes you question why you'd pay more to stay at a big-name 5-star hotel. Well done Ovolo for being so generous.

As for our room, my request for a quiet one was met (it meant no view, but that wasn't an issue) and it was 'small but perfectly formed'. Great interior design and great use of a compact space (we stayed in a studio, the smallest option - perfectly fine for a short-term stay). Comfortable bed, amazing shower and quality toiletries.

The guys at Reception were welcoming and helpful, and of course the location is fantastic for eating/drinking/shopping/entertainment in town (a multitude of options within walking distance) and for public transport to go further afield. I will definitely stay at Ovolo on Little Bourke again and will highly recommend their hotels to friends.

Room Tip: The small studios are extremely compact - if you need space, you wil need the next room rate up.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear marley_newcastle,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am glad to see you were impressed with our all-inclusive approach. I will certainly pass your feedback on to our reception staff as they pride themselves on their customer service.

Next time you are in Melbourne it would be my pleasure to personally assist you with your accommodation requirements.

Wellington, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The staff were very nice and it is a nice place. However, be warned that there is a very noisy music venue by this hotel with young people partying in the alleyway into the small hours of the night. If you value your sleep, you could have problems.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear luckie74,
Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you found our staff and hotel both “very nice”. I am concerned however that your sleep was disrupted due to outside noise. The venue you are referring to is an event space and not always open, having said that we do have rooms on high floors away from street noise. The front desk team would be delighted to assign you one of these rooms should you wish to stay with us again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location of the hotel in the CBD is uber central and practical (at the top of China Town near tube station and near bus stops). The hotel is modern, quirky and very clean The room we had on the first floor was great and well decorated with: living room with kitchen area, seperate bedroom with very comfy firm beds and practical wardrobe and very nice shower room. There is free Wifi and a free mini bar, as well as a welcome loot bag with a few lovely snacks.The bathroom goodies are by Malin + Goetz (brownie points Ovolo thank you!) We also adored the comfy flip flops that we happily kept for the rest of our trip in Oz. Breakfast is free but on the go (i.e. take away from the lobby with viennoiseries & nespresso coffee) but we thought that was great. the staff was very friendly and we have NOTHING bad to say about this place. If I went back to Melbourne I would definitely return to the Ovolo. Well done guys, and thanks again, it was a pleasure!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear L_Dana,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

It was a pleasure reading your positive feedback regarding your stay with us in March. I am delighted you have “nothing bad to say” about the hotel and found our all-inclusive approach favourable. I am particularly glad you enjoyed our Malin + Goetz bathroom products, they are a fantastic New York based company.

L_Dana next time you are visiting Melbourne It would be my pleasure to personally assist you with your accommodation requirements.

Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

What a great experience, a funky hotel in a great Melb location. Whilst the standard room is on the small side, it was perfect for a 1 night business trip. Next time, I'd book a bigger room to suit a small family. Loved the funky fit-out & the concept of free minibar, grab & go breakfast & coffee/drinks in the small but functional lobby. Staff were very friendly & efficient. Looking forward to heading back again soon.

Room Tip: For longer stays or for leisure stays I'd recommend a larger room than the studio.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Katieb1980

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted you loved our all-inclusive approach and found the staff friendly and efficient.

Next time you wish to book please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally see to your reservation.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Can't say enough good things about this hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are large, the bed is comfy and the stocked, and free, minibar is an absolute treat. Combine that with unlimited espresso from the lobby, as well as other goodies (free self-service laundry -- detergent supplied and free wifi), the hotel has literally thought of everything.

Two extremely minor comments, more as an FYI than criticisms. The sink in the bathroom, as has been mentioned, is tiny. I have never actually seen anything that tiny my whole life, but given its position in the bathroom, it's understandable. The view from our room of someone else's apartment was also less than spectacular, but we didn't travel from NYC to look out the window of our hotel -- we came to see Melbourne.

Very central and very recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear wdrefan,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback on Trip Advisor. It was indeed a pleasure having you stay with us.

Next time you are in Melbourne and wish to book please contact me directly so I may personally assist you.

Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Great location. Easy to get everywhere in Melbourne from here. Right at the top of China town. Free mini bar topped up every day - lovely loot bag with goodies on arrival - take home shopping bag - roomy, funky, very clean, free internet,Long Grain restaurant opposite - yummy.....Staff went out of their way to assist - Matt & the team gave us tram passes, numerous directons, restaurant recomendations,late checkout, quiet room,

Room Tip: Choose a quite room as council bins are emptied early in the morning - not the fault of the hotel, b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MillieWellington,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our inclusions and found Ovolo’s location favourable. I am pleased that Matt and our reception team were able to assist you whilst you were here and I will certainly pass this feedback on.
When next in Melbourne please do not hesitate to contact me directly, it would be my pleasure to organise your accommodation requirements.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Laneways? Share your experiences!