“Funky hotel, fantastic location & great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Special Offer
FREE WI-FI
Ranked #38 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Launceston, Australia
“Funky hotel, fantastic location & great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

What a great experience, a funky hotel in a great Melb location. Whilst the standard room is on the small side, it was perfect for a 1 night business trip. Next time, I'd book a bigger room to suit a small family. Loved the funky fit-out & the concept of free minibar, grab & go breakfast & coffee/drinks in the small but functional lobby. Staff were very friendly & efficient. Looking forward to heading back again soon.

Room Tip: For longer stays or for leisure stays I'd recommend a larger room than the studio.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Katieb1980

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted you loved our all-inclusive approach and found the staff friendly and efficient.

Next time you wish to book please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally see to your reservation.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Can't say enough good things about this hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are large, the bed is comfy and the stocked, and free, minibar is an absolute treat. Combine that with unlimited espresso from the lobby, as well as other goodies (free self-service laundry -- detergent supplied and free wifi), the hotel has literally thought of everything.

Two extremely minor comments, more as an FYI than criticisms. The sink in the bathroom, as has been mentioned, is tiny. I have never actually seen anything that tiny my whole life, but given its position in the bathroom, it's understandable. The view from our room of someone else's apartment was also less than spectacular, but we didn't travel from NYC to look out the window of our hotel -- we came to see Melbourne.

Very central and very recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear wdrefan,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback on Trip Advisor. It was indeed a pleasure having you stay with us.

Next time you are in Melbourne and wish to book please contact me directly so I may personally assist you.

Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Great location. Easy to get everywhere in Melbourne from here. Right at the top of China town. Free mini bar topped up every day - lovely loot bag with goodies on arrival - take home shopping bag - roomy, funky, very clean, free internet,Long Grain restaurant opposite - yummy.....Staff went out of their way to assist - Matt & the team gave us tram passes, numerous directons, restaurant recomendations,late checkout, quiet room,

Room Tip: Choose a quite room as council bins are emptied early in the morning - not the fault of the hotel, b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MillieWellington,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our inclusions and found Ovolo’s location favourable. I am pleased that Matt and our reception team were able to assist you whilst you were here and I will certainly pass this feedback on.
When next in Melbourne please do not hesitate to contact me directly, it would be my pleasure to organise your accommodation requirements.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Saw this in a travel section of a newspaper and tried it out on weekend visit to Melbourne. Up the Spring Street end of Bourke Street. Funky and fun. Very friendly reception. Room and wifi were fine, like an apartment. Bathroom was huge but I thought a bit spartan in fittings. Nespresso machine downstairs. No breakfast other than pastries and muffins at reception (fine but calories guys!). Need your Myki card to take tram from Skybus terminal if you have luggage.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tim S,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you found our reception staff friendly and the hotel “funky and fun”. Should you wish to stay with us again in the future our reception team would be delighted to organise a Skybus shuttle to take you from Ovolo to Southern Cross Station.

Kind Regards

Manukau, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Spent 4 nights here for our 5th wedding anniversary, absolutely loved every thing about it from the ultra modern rooms to the awesome service from the super friendly staff and self serve breakfasts of pastries and coffee! Also the all inclusive mini bar with beer, wine, juices and water. Nothing was too much trouble with the team happily arranging extras for me beforehand to surprise my husband. The location is also ideal with China Town, restaurants, bars, shops and teams all on your doorstep. We willl definitely be back and can't recommend it highly enough. Thanks team for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Powell61,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review. I am delighted we were able to make your fifth wedding anniversary a memorable one.

Granada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

You won´t need a taxi if you stay at this property - everything is within walking distance.
The rooms are OK, but the standard rooms are "tiny"...so you end up sleeping "on top of your luggage". The interior design is sort of minimalistic, but fails to impress. The bathrooms are fitted with a wash basin that is so small that you cannot shave or wash your face, without splashing water all over the floor.
The owners have decided to include a "breakfast to go", which is available at the reception - all sweets and sugar-coated pastry; unhealthy and out of sync with todays eating habits.
The reception staff is very friendly and helpful, and this fact and the location makes Ovolo a nice place to stay...despite all its shortcomings.

Room Tip: I would not book their Standard/lowest rate rooms. A One bedroom suite would be the best option.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear carlosprimerogranada,

Thank you for taking the time to share your open and honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us. From your room description I can see you stayed in one of our Studio rooms, whilst these rooms are comfortable for short stays we do have other much larger alternatives for those guests wishing to stay for a longer period or travelling with additional luggage.
In relation to our “Grab ‘n’ Go” Breakfast I will certainly look into healthier alternatives and raise this with the appropriate departments.
I was delighted to see that you found our reception team friendly and helpful and will pass this feedback on.

Should you wish to stay with us again in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally assist you.

yallingup
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Intimate, friendly, funky hotel in a fabulous spot. I received a complimentary upgrade to save me changing rooms, as my daughter only stayed one night and I'd planned on a studio when I was alone. The 1 bedroom has loads of room, all the extras you could ask for, walking distance to everywhere and close to many great bars and restaurants. Can't wait to stay again, highly recommended.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear jiddagig,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted we were able to organise a complimentary upgrade for you and I am glad you found your Ovolo experience intimate, funky and friendly.

Next time you wish to stay please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally assist you,

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Laneways? Share your experiences!