“<3 Ovolo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street

Save Saved
You added Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street to your Saves list
Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #33 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
yallingup
“<3 Ovolo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Intimate, friendly, funky hotel in a fabulous spot. I received a complimentary upgrade to save me changing rooms, as my daughter only stayed one night and I'd planned on a studio when I was alone. The 1 bedroom has loads of room, all the extras you could ask for, walking distance to everywhere and close to many great bars and restaurants. Can't wait to stay again, highly recommended.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear jiddagig,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted we were able to organise a complimentary upgrade for you and I am glad you found your Ovolo experience intimate, funky and friendly.

Next time you wish to stay please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally assist you,

406 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

A long weekend in Melbourne made fantastic by our stay at the Ovolo. Our room was ready despite our relatively early check in. Great front desk staff. Lots of fab perks, free wifi (rare in Australia) and a free mini bar and tasty loot bag. The grab and run breakfast is super, just what we needed to hit the road. We had a one bedroom suite which was fantastic, roomy comfortable and fun! So glad the team joined in Earth hour as well, the reception area looked great. Thanks for looking after us!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ZK W,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing such a glowing review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our inclusions and front desk staff. Ovolo Melbourne is proud of its commitment to various charities and Earth Hour was no exception, the hotel completely bathed in candlelight certainly is a rare sight to see.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Just spent 5 nights in a one bedroom suite. A lot of positives, the location is great. Close to transport and a good place to use as a base to explore Melbourne but far enough away that you don't get annoyed by the busy night life noises! The staff are excellent. Very polite and quick to respond to requests. Room service was good too and the room attendants were savvy enough when remaking our bed to realise that the extra doonas we had requested were for use for under the sheet to make the bed a bit softer. And that perhaps was the only negative, I'm not one for soft mattresses, i like firm ones, but the queen bed we had was as hard as concrete. After the first night we could hardly walk upright the next morning. With two additional doonas underneath it was a lot better to sleep on, but not good. Oh, and the staff kept putting the aircon on 24c. If we forgot to reset it to 22c after wed get back of an afternon we'd wake up in the middle of the night sweating. If they replace the mattresses then I'd say we'd definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Not123456789,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your Ovolo experience on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you found the hotel had many positive features and the staff were polite and quick to respond to requests. I will certainly pass your feedback regarding new mattresses on to the appropriate departments.

Should you decide to stay at Ovolo Melbourne in the future I would be delighted to assist you with your accommodation requirements.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The hotel is situated in the heart of the downtown area and very near to Chinatown with vast varieties of food available. The room is spacious and comfortable with sleek design.
However, the housekeeping service is not good. Body wash not being replaced, hand soap not being replaced despite I have emptied out the bottle to show that it was empty. One of the days I came back to find a bottle of glass cleaner in the toilet.
Free mini bar items are restocked everyday, Google bag is given on the day of arrival ad welcoming gift. A bag that can be carried on the back is provided in the room, which is very handy for going out.
I like the sleek design of the hotel, just that the washing basin of the toilet is rather small that I tend to splash water around when brushing teeth or washing face.
Front desk is helpful but not all staffs are friendly.
Still, I would say that staying at this hotel is great value.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Feranita L,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor, I am delighted you found Ovolo Melbourne to be excellent value and our inclusions favourable.
I was concerned to learn of the shortcomings you experienced with housekeeping. I will of course be investigating as to why a bottle of glass cleaner was left in your bathroom and not all amenities were replaced. In relation to the service from our front desk whilst I am glad they were helpful again it is concerning to see not all were seen as friendly and for this I apologise. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to improve our day to day operations.

Should you wish to stay with us again in the future I would be delighted to personally assist with your accommodation requirements.

Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Very clean spacious one bedroom suite, good sized bathroom, nice big shower. Bed most uncomfortable and queen sized. We had a lot of trouble sleeping both nights of our stay, it was a very quiet room (108) though bedroom just felt uncomfortable.
Staff were lovely and very accommodating, free mini bar was great, basic danish pastry breakfast, free drinks (wine & beer) between 6-8pm! Nice touch.
Check in and check out was a breeze.
Well positioned in China towns edge.
Probably wouldn't stay there again as for that price ($295p/n) there are far more luxurious options in Melbourne. Lovely hotel though, quirky, friendly and clean.

Dear F1007,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted you found your room spacious and our staff “lovely and very accommodating”. Should you wish to stay with us in the future we do have rooms with King Size beds that you may find more comfortable.

Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Heard quite a bit about this boutique hotel in Melbourne.I was on a working guide trip bringing in a group of chinese tourists on a shopping tour to Melbourne for a week.Booked myself into this hotel but the group i had arranged for them to stay somewhere more central in the CBD.
Hotel Ovolo outer facade is simple reminds me of some of the warehouses at Tianzifang in Shanghai.
The reception area is small as was evidenced by the lack of space.it would be nothing compared to Jia hotel or the waterhouse in Shanghai.,but maybe because of the scarcity of space or cost there is not much interior decorations.However it is clean .
THe reception staff are polite and very efficient so checking into mu studio suite was a breeze.The building is only 6 storey but the elevator could give the fainthaerted a scare as it reminds me of the leftover by the previous tenant as there are creacking and thumping sounds when in operations.I was given a room on the 4th floor but needless to say it doesnt really matter as i dont think there is any view to appreciate whichever floor you are in.But there is sufficient light coming in.Hallway is decorated in dark hue.Not bad actually and quite cosy.
For a studio suite room i wouldnt say that the size is good.Howver it is just sufficient to fit a king size bed and a small seating area.
One of the nice things about this hotel is the free supply of the mini fridge with soft drinks,mineral water and one or two bottles of lager beer.They are replenished everyday.There is also a loot bag with some titbits and a nice touch of a message scrawled on the chalk board.
The bed is on a raised platform to add more aesthetic values but it turned out as a hazard to me.As it was raised up on a platform and in the middle of the night on climbing down from bed after stepping 2 steps i missed the footing and landed flat on the face and hit against the side table.Well so much so for beauty.This is especially dangerous for those who sleep with all the lights off as when all lights are off there is no indicators to show the step down line.Maybe the management might think of a luminous line drawn to warn guests.I ended with a bad bruise on the back,got it reported to the reception next morning had a photo taken but he was courteous and helpful to suggest some medical aid to which i politely turned down .Supposed to bring to the attention of the GM but sadly throughout my stay nothing comes out of it.,and not a word about how i fare.,sad.
Many things had been told about the most important area.,the toilet in other posts and it turns out true.It is way too smalleven for an asian guy like me.The shower area has an overhead shower not bad but the space is cramped.This hotel probably sets the world's smallest wash basin for hotel guests.It is not possible not to flood the restroom when you are even washing your hands or brushing teeth as the size of the basin barely covers a palm of the hand.It is also set too low and i would pity those with a bad back or low back pain guests trying to bend down in a 3X3 feet area washing up.Its quite an arduos task actually and pose a physical risk.Luckily the toilet bowl is not mini sized too.
Location wise of hotel is at the tail end of Chinatown.Presumably in a quiet area but it was not so as the walls could be paper thin so any whispers,sneezing or talking could be heard loud and clear in the next room.One needs to be careful as the little noise travels very far in the building.Another setback is the water sounds running in the pipes can be very loud and annoying.
However the hotel is clean and the housekeeping does quite a good job.Toiletries supply is not complete as there is no supply of razor or shaver and comb and one needs to ask for it.
Some left over food and empty food containers are not cleared or maybe they think that those are still edible?
Maybe my opinions are a bit biased as i had stayed in many boutique hotels in Shanghai which i find the standard are much better for value and most of the time in Melbourne i stayed in the centrally located hotels and this is the first boutique type that i stayed her.
Still not too bad for those who dont spend too much time in the hotel.,and the bed is quite comfortable but be careful on the raised platform.But i cant imagine bringing in my group of tourists chatting away till late in this confined space.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear bennystar99,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to see that our reception staff were polite and efficient upon arrival and you found our complimentary mini bar and inclusions favourable.

I understand the aesthetics of the property fell short of your expectations both in size and furnishings. Ovolo Melbourne is based on the cities laneways with our artwork, wall colours and décor reflecting this. We do have many different room types offering spacious living areas and larger bathrooms should you wish to stay with us in the future.

What I do find concerning is that whilst you were in residence our staff did not enquire as to your welfare in relation to your fall. I was made aware of the situation however was under the belief that no medical assistance was needed and you did not require any additional support. Should you wish, I would very much like to speak with you in more detail regarding this so please email me directly – joshnoonan@ovologroup.com

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a fairly new hotel in Melbourne, very central to all the shops and restaurants, at the top of Little Bourke St. We had a one bedroom suite which was comfortably furnished but the rooms were a bit cramped (the front door opened right flush with the sofa, the end of the bed was 30cm from the wall). It was very quiet with good blackout curtains. The windows didn't open, which I personally don't like, but the air conditioning was very good. The bathroom was a large disabled bathroom with shower but no bath. There was only a tiny shelf to put things on, half filled with the hotels own toiletries.
What we particularly liked was that everything is included in the room rate, even the drinks in the mini bar and a goodie bag of nuts and sweets. Coffee and tea making is also available in a tiny kitchenette which has a microwave oven but no sink. Unfortunately there were only herbal or perfumed teas and no milk in the fridge. However there is a good coffee machine in the foyer and the staff are very helpful. There are also free drinks from 6 to 8pm downstairs, but we didn't sample this.
The free wi-fi was the deal maker for us. At last some hotels are realising travellers need it but won't pay for it. Gone are the days when they made a fortune out of the phones, but they can't cover for this with steep charges for wi-fi. It was very good.
The Apple TV is great. We have one at home so worked out how to use it, but the instructions in the room were inadequate or just plain wrong (Settings>General>then Turn Air Play On? There's no such setting there!). Ours needed a software upgrade, so we foolishly ok'd it, only to find it took two and a half hours! Perhaps they should upgrade all of them? Then when we selected airplay, our room number (401) didn't come up as an option, so after all that we couldn't use it.
In summary, given time to iron out the early glitches, this is a well-placed option when visiting Melbourne for a fair price.

Dear Navigat0r,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our all-inclusive approach and found our staff very helpful. Ovolo Melbourne’s One Bedroom Suites feature different layouts that offer more space in both the living room and bedroom, next time you wish to stay our staff would be delighted to organise a room that better suits your needs.
Thank you for brining to my attention that the Apple Television required an update and I will certainly ensure this is completed throughout the hotel, as well as this I will be investigating the instructions for Air-Play to ensure all information listed is accurate.
Next time you wish to stay please contact me directly so I may personally assist you with your accommodation requirements.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Hotel Laneways - 19 Little Bourke Street? Share your experiences!