“Wish i could say more good things about this” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Special Offer
Suite Deal - 25% OFF
Ranked #34 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Shanghai, China
“Wish i could say more good things about this”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Heard quite a bit about this boutique hotel in Melbourne.I was on a working guide trip bringing in a group of chinese tourists on a shopping tour to Melbourne for a week.Booked myself into this hotel but the group i had arranged for them to stay somewhere more central in the CBD.
Hotel Ovolo outer facade is simple reminds me of some of the warehouses at Tianzifang in Shanghai.
The reception area is small as was evidenced by the lack of space.it would be nothing compared to Jia hotel or the waterhouse in Shanghai.,but maybe because of the scarcity of space or cost there is not much interior decorations.However it is clean .
THe reception staff are polite and very efficient so checking into mu studio suite was a breeze.The building is only 6 storey but the elevator could give the fainthaerted a scare as it reminds me of the leftover by the previous tenant as there are creacking and thumping sounds when in operations.I was given a room on the 4th floor but needless to say it doesnt really matter as i dont think there is any view to appreciate whichever floor you are in.But there is sufficient light coming in.Hallway is decorated in dark hue.Not bad actually and quite cosy.
For a studio suite room i wouldnt say that the size is good.Howver it is just sufficient to fit a king size bed and a small seating area.
One of the nice things about this hotel is the free supply of the mini fridge with soft drinks,mineral water and one or two bottles of lager beer.They are replenished everyday.There is also a loot bag with some titbits and a nice touch of a message scrawled on the chalk board.
The bed is on a raised platform to add more aesthetic values but it turned out as a hazard to me.As it was raised up on a platform and in the middle of the night on climbing down from bed after stepping 2 steps i missed the footing and landed flat on the face and hit against the side table.Well so much so for beauty.This is especially dangerous for those who sleep with all the lights off as when all lights are off there is no indicators to show the step down line.Maybe the management might think of a luminous line drawn to warn guests.I ended with a bad bruise on the back,got it reported to the reception next morning had a photo taken but he was courteous and helpful to suggest some medical aid to which i politely turned down .Supposed to bring to the attention of the GM but sadly throughout my stay nothing comes out of it.,and not a word about how i fare.,sad.
Many things had been told about the most important area.,the toilet in other posts and it turns out true.It is way too smalleven for an asian guy like me.The shower area has an overhead shower not bad but the space is cramped.This hotel probably sets the world's smallest wash basin for hotel guests.It is not possible not to flood the restroom when you are even washing your hands or brushing teeth as the size of the basin barely covers a palm of the hand.It is also set too low and i would pity those with a bad back or low back pain guests trying to bend down in a 3X3 feet area washing up.Its quite an arduos task actually and pose a physical risk.Luckily the toilet bowl is not mini sized too.
Location wise of hotel is at the tail end of Chinatown.Presumably in a quiet area but it was not so as the walls could be paper thin so any whispers,sneezing or talking could be heard loud and clear in the next room.One needs to be careful as the little noise travels very far in the building.Another setback is the water sounds running in the pipes can be very loud and annoying.
However the hotel is clean and the housekeeping does quite a good job.Toiletries supply is not complete as there is no supply of razor or shaver and comb and one needs to ask for it.
Some left over food and empty food containers are not cleared or maybe they think that those are still edible?
Maybe my opinions are a bit biased as i had stayed in many boutique hotels in Shanghai which i find the standard are much better for value and most of the time in Melbourne i stayed in the centrally located hotels and this is the first boutique type that i stayed her.
Still not too bad for those who dont spend too much time in the hotel.,and the bed is quite comfortable but be careful on the raised platform.But i cant imagine bringing in my group of tourists chatting away till late in this confined space.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear bennystar99,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to see that our reception staff were polite and efficient upon arrival and you found our complimentary mini bar and inclusions favourable.

I understand the aesthetics of the property fell short of your expectations both in size and furnishings. Ovolo Melbourne is based on the cities laneways with our artwork, wall colours and décor reflecting this. We do have many different room types offering spacious living areas and larger bathrooms should you wish to stay with us in the future.

What I do find concerning is that whilst you were in residence our staff did not enquire as to your welfare in relation to your fall. I was made aware of the situation however was under the belief that no medical assistance was needed and you did not require any additional support. Should you wish, I would very much like to speak with you in more detail regarding this so please email me directly – joshnoonan@ovologroup.com

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a fairly new hotel in Melbourne, very central to all the shops and restaurants, at the top of Little Bourke St. We had a one bedroom suite which was comfortably furnished but the rooms were a bit cramped (the front door opened right flush with the sofa, the end of the bed was 30cm from the wall). It was very quiet with good blackout curtains. The windows didn't open, which I personally don't like, but the air conditioning was very good. The bathroom was a large disabled bathroom with shower but no bath. There was only a tiny shelf to put things on, half filled with the hotels own toiletries.
What we particularly liked was that everything is included in the room rate, even the drinks in the mini bar and a goodie bag of nuts and sweets. Coffee and tea making is also available in a tiny kitchenette which has a microwave oven but no sink. Unfortunately there were only herbal or perfumed teas and no milk in the fridge. However there is a good coffee machine in the foyer and the staff are very helpful. There are also free drinks from 6 to 8pm downstairs, but we didn't sample this.
The free wi-fi was the deal maker for us. At last some hotels are realising travellers need it but won't pay for it. Gone are the days when they made a fortune out of the phones, but they can't cover for this with steep charges for wi-fi. It was very good.
The Apple TV is great. We have one at home so worked out how to use it, but the instructions in the room were inadequate or just plain wrong (Settings>General>then Turn Air Play On? There's no such setting there!). Ours needed a software upgrade, so we foolishly ok'd it, only to find it took two and a half hours! Perhaps they should upgrade all of them? Then when we selected airplay, our room number (401) didn't come up as an option, so after all that we couldn't use it.
In summary, given time to iron out the early glitches, this is a well-placed option when visiting Melbourne for a fair price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Navigat0r,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our all-inclusive approach and found our staff very helpful. Ovolo Melbourne’s One Bedroom Suites feature different layouts that offer more space in both the living room and bedroom, next time you wish to stay our staff would be delighted to organise a room that better suits your needs.
Thank you for brining to my attention that the Apple Television required an update and I will certainly ensure this is completed throughout the hotel, as well as this I will be investigating the instructions for Air-Play to ensure all information listed is accurate.
Next time you wish to stay please contact me directly so I may personally assist you with your accommodation requirements.

Timaru, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Recently stayed in a 2 b/r apartment for three nights in Melbourne. Location is fantastic, very close to main city centre, restaurants, bars, etc. The staff were very helpful and obliging with any queries we had. All the little extras were very much appreciated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Chris J,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad you found our location great and staff helpful and obliging.
I would be delighted to personally assist you with any future accommodation requirements.

Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just stayed here for 2 nights with my husband and two young children and the Ovolo's 2bdrm suite was absolutely perfect for us. The rooms are very modern and space efficient, with one bedroom at the back being fully enclosed (perfect to put the kids to bed) and the other bedroom with sliding walls that when opened make the rest of the space into a studio apartment. There are just the right amenities that you need to be comfortable but without the added frills that jack the price up. The price point and location are superb with restaurants, shopping, the free city circle tram, taxi stand, all within 0-6 blocks. My husband travels to Hong Kong frequently and he's looking forward to trying out the Ovolo there because our stay in Melbourne was just right.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Booboomama,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

It was a pleasure reading your glowing review of the hotel. I am delighted the design and functionality of your room was just right. I have noticed however our service did not fare so well in your review; if there is anything you wish to discuss in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and I hope your husband enjoys our Hong Kong properties.

Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Location good and Matt at reception great - went seriously downhill after that! Room not serviced on 1 day out of our 3 day stay and amenities not replaced as promised on 2 nights of our 3 night stay. When approached, reception would only pass me over to the manager who predictably was not there and so had to be contacted by e-mail and when given the chance to correct matters only made a paltry offer. Do yourself a favour and find somewhere else, there are plenty of other hotels in Melbourne! Unfortunately the hotel appears to be constantly fully booked and so customer service is not a priority.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Chrisshipp,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your open and honest feedback albeit far from perfect. I am of course delighted you found our location favourable and Matt on reception great, I will certainly pass this feedback on.

On another note it is disappointing to see that the offer of compensation you received was seen as paltry, given the circumstances and after completing an investigation into the shortcomings you experienced this amount was seen as appropriate.

The team at Ovolo Melbourne prides themselves on their customer service and again I apologise that on this occasion we fell short.

I understand from your email correspondence and the above review that you do not wish to stay with us in the future. First impressions are hard to change I know, having said that we would very much like to change yours. Should you wish to give us a chance to redeem ourselves it would be my pleasure to personally assist you.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My son and daughter in law were booked in here for a week in February, and just loved the facilities, the cool features, and the space and layout of thier room. The complimentary mini bar is a great idea, along with the coffee and bubble gum dispenser in the lobby. I found it easy to get my car outside to pick them up and drop them off, and the location close by so many restaurants, the station and trams is ideal. Apparently it was a bit noisy on the last night.
The staff could not have been more welcoming or helpful.
I'll be recommending it to more vsistors to Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear LilibetMelbourne,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to post your “Perfect” review on behalf of your son and daughter in law. It is delightful to see our service, location and rooms have managed to prompt a review from yourself.

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you to Ovolo Melbourne in the future so you may experience our service first hand.

Frenchs Forest, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed in this new hotel for 3 nights. Look it isn't that bad, but it's not that great either. To start with the entrance is a bit funky with a coffee machine, drins and things to eat. But it is so narrow the people using these facilities tend to block the way in. It was exceptionally hot so reception really heated up during the day with the door opening and closing. I know these were exceptional circumstances but none the less not great.

To the room - again it was funky with different coloured doors for each room. It was fairly minimalistic and basic. The kitchen had a microwave and the basic mini bar was free. The bathroom had no where to put you stuff and we all seem to be carrying more product with us so my wife and I had to leave our bathroom bags in the kitchen. There was alos no shaving mirror in the bathroom and poor light to shave by. The rest of the bathroom was very functional.

Bedroom - no shelves to put anything on except for your bags. Bed was comfortable but it was one of those that are singles joined together so hard in the centre.

Lift - one lift was out and the other needs a service as it clunked all the time.

Staff - great and very accommodating. Were keen to help as much as possible and engaging when appropriate. They had a problem with other rooms with air conditioning breaking down with the exceptional weather and had to move people around at 5 in the morning.

Parking - was available a short walk away so this worked out well.

So overall it was OK but not great as we were expecting a better experience. I'm sure if we paid for a better room that things may have improved but based upon many other hotels I have stayed at it was disappointing for the price, and I probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear spj709Sydney,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback, albeit less than perfect. I can gather from your room description you may have been staying in a 1 Bedroom Suite, of which we have many different layouts offering different desk sizes or bedroom storage space. I am also delighted to report that after light routine maintenance both elevators are in service, functioning as intended.

On a lighter note I was pleased to see you found our staff accommodating and engaging.

I understand from your review you may choose to stay elsewhere when next in Melbourne. Should you change your mind however please contact me directly so I may personally see to your accommodation requirements.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Laneways? Share your experiences!