“Will Leave My Current Hotel Rewards Program For Ovolo Melbourne” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Laneways

You added Ovolo Laneways to your Saves list
Ovolo Laneways
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Special Offer
FREE WI-FI
Ranked #37 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Will Leave My Current Hotel Rewards Program For Ovolo Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at the Ovolo in late September on my final leg of an overseas business trip before returning to Sydney. My Melbourne office is located on Lonsdale street and as a member of Hyatt Gold Passport I generally stay at Park Hyatt, however as it was approaching the AFL grand final I found Hyatt’s room rates a little excessive. I found a great deal on Wotif for a “studio hot deal” at Ovolo. I try not to book through websites like Wotif as my plans can change at the drop of a hat so I called the hotel to see if they could do a price match, which they were more than happy to do giving me 48 hours to cancel or change my booking without charge. With the money I saved on the price match I was able to upgrade to a lovely “studio suite” on the 4th floor. I had been expecting my room not to be ready at 0930 when I arrived off a long flight from Singapore however after being greeted by the bubbly Gemma (who also offered me a complimentary coffee) found out that it was and I could check-in straight away. My room was indeed comfortable and very modern with a big work desk, separate lounge and somewhat unique raised bed. Bathroom amenities were the same as a decent 5 star hotel with dental kits etc.. and shaving kits available upon request. What I did find to be a little amusing was the remote for the Apple TV also responds to my computer! That’s a sign of technological advancements I’m sure. What I found most important was that generally with AUS hotels unless you are a member of their award program internet is charged at a scandalous rate, you can then imagine my surprise when unlimited WiFi for unlimited devices is included for any guest!!! Combined with the complimentary mini bar – yes including that $6 bottle of water you have to pay for at most hotels but is right next to the bed tempting you, and the light take away style breakfast I didn’t have to separate anything off my room account upon checkout (I did buy a movie but that was on Apple TV and charged my iTunes account – I still have the movie now I’m at home which is perfect because I don’t necessarily need hotel staff knowing my personal interests) One of my biggest tests in a hotel is the staff, after reading the in room compendium I noticed the hotel has recommended restaurants near by. The concierge / receptionist on duty that night did advise me that the listed restaurants are in a two block radius and suggested I try Il Bacaro and that the Marco the manager will look after me. I have not had such brilliant Italian food since I was in Italy in 2004!

After such a long winded review, in fact the only one I have written, to summarise – This Hotel has got it right, following the trend of those beautiful Asian hotels. Big rooms, free minibar & breakfast, unlimited Wifi AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THE STAFF KNOW THEIR STUFF & how to interact with guests on a more personal level (it is nice when being away from family for so long to actually have a chat with a hotel representative and it not feel awkward.) HATS OFF TO OVOLO if you keep your rates as low as they are you’ll be seeing a lot more of me --- PS get a rewards program!

Room Tip: Room 404 has large windows and a lot of natural light
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel through Wotif due to the location (right behind the princess theatre) and great price for a two bedroom suite. Our room was set up perfectly for the four of us. Our other friends had booked in somewhere else and then came to meet us in our apartment before we headed out to dinner, they we very impressed as were we with this modern take on a hotel. Next time we'll be booking a three bedroom.

We loved Ovolo's modern non stuffy take on what a hotel experience should be with free internet and mini bar, on site laundry and great choice of foxtel channels (it was hard to pull my partner out of the room when it was time to head out for the evening). The hotel does not have its own restaurant however they do offer breakfast in the lobby every morning. It was a pick up and go style breakfast which i personally prefer rather than sitting down to an expensive buffet for a muffin and coffee.

We only stayed the one night, but this hotel would be perfect for buniness people or tourists staying multiple night especially because of its location, practical inclusions and complimentary onsite laundry facilities. We often travel into Melbourne for the footy, shows or special occasions and will now be checking this hotels availability first when looking at staying in the city.

Highly reccomed this hotel for those wishing to stay somewhere funky.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Natalie D,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

It was such a pleasure reading your glowing review of our hotel. I am delighted to see you found our approach refreshing as this is definitely our intention.

We do not advertise Three Bedroom Suites however if you call us directly we can organise three interconnecting rooms for you.

Natalie D on behalf of the entire team it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Ovolo Melbourne in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Great technology , Apple TV. No thrills breakfast and lots of free goodies in hotel room bar. Great location near china town. Stayed in Studio room, bed was comfortable and felt spacious, loved the rainfall shower. My son enjoyed the gum all machine at reception. would like to try out the Hong Kong properties.
Enjoyed my stay, and will recommend the hotel to friends and family...

Stayed October 2012
Dear James F,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

My apologies for the belated reply and thank you for sharing your feedback. I am delighted that you found our Grab N’ Go breakfast, Loot Bag, rainfall shower and bedding pleasurable.
If I may be of any personal assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This reminded me of Soho Hotel in the the Meat Packing District of NYC. Very trendy, with bright colors (gasp for melbournians this is very new). The great coffee bar downstairs is amazing to help yourself to throughout the night (especially if your working on different time zone deadlines it was a blessing!) Also love the little quirky details like the laundry bags, and the blackboard notes that tell the weather and date...super cool and edgy and the beds are amazing.

This will be a hotel that i will almost always stay in. Such a good change from the big hotels!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear davidsevenjones,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and my apologies for the belated reply. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and found the hotel reminiscent of the Soho Hotel in Manhattan.

Please contact me directly next time you wish to book as it would be my pleasure to personally assist you.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

What a great place for a family stay. Very friendly helpful service . Went out of their way to recommend restaurants and attractions . The design is funky and its all shiny and new. Also free mini bar. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Annie M,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Ovolo Melbourne. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly our design and complimentary Mini-Bar.
Please contact me when you next book so I may personally assist you.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Have just checked into a two bedroom suite at the Ovolo - having dinner at Longrain so was attracted to something close by that looked new and interesting. While the lobby looks good - the rooms are basic to say the very least. No dishwasher as advertised - the "kitchenette"'has a very basic setting for four (no cups and saucers) a bottle opener, a bar fridge and a jug - that's it !!!

Profoundly disapponting for the price - will revert to our usual place the Blackman on St Kilda road - nicer rooms, significantly better facilities and considerably cheaper.

• Stayed October 2012
Josh N, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Paulio123,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to post your candid feedback regarding your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed the aesthetics of our lobby and found our close proximity to Longrain favourable. On another note it is distressing to read our rooms fell short of your expectations. We have since reviewed our advertising on all websites to ensure dishwashers are only advertised in our Terrace Suites and Penthouse. I understand first impressions are hard to change, however I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to Ovolo Melbourne in the future. Please contact me directly should you wish to give us a second chance and I will personally assist you throughout each aspect of your stay.

Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed here last weekend and although my stay with was brief, it’s the first impressions that have encouraged me to write this review. We came to Melbourne to see a show at the Princess theatre which was literally next door so it was a perfect location for us. Checking in was quick and easy and the staff we very friendly and welcoming. The young man at the front desk politely informed me that I could help myself to a drink from the fridge or a tea/coffee (all complimentary) which was a really nice added touch. The room was cool and modern, a real sense of Melbourne with the art and furnishings. The bathrooms were really spotless and there was a ‘rain’ shower- which of course was amazing. As well as a free mini bar (that’s right, FREE mini bar) we were also surprised by a little gift bag full of chocolates and random treats in our room. The room had fast wireless internet and foxtel which were free too. The free breakfast (muffins, pastries, fruit) was really nice and simple and a welcomed change from those boring continental breakfasts that you get most other places. I really couldn’t fault this hotel if I tried, they even gave us a complimentary late check out because we had a late flight.
I will definitely be staying again!

Room Tip: Bring your iPod/Macbook and make good use of the Free Apple TV!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BrendoW11,

Greetings from Ovolo Melbourne.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and could not fault us. I look forward to welcoming you back to Ovolo when your next in Melbourne.

Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Been to Ovolo Laneways? Share your experiences!