“Good enough - better than a lot. Not 'cheap'.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Space Hotel

You added Space Hotel to your Saves list
Space Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   380 Russell Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #15 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Good enough - better than a lot. Not 'cheap'.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I've stayed here 3 times now. Someone coming here thinking they were booked into a 'hotel' would be surprised or disappointed as most of the rooms have shared bathrooms. This, along with the communal kitchen and the dynamic of the guests makes this establishment feel much more of a hostel or 'flash-packers' than hotel. Most recently, the cleanliness seems to have improved. The kitchen is superb but I fail to see why in the 21st century a property such as this cannot offer complimentary wifi. The cheapest motel in the US and Canada has free wifi; when challenged, the response that "most Melbourne accommodations charge for internet access" is not acceptable - maybe 'Space' could take some pride in being a trend setter rather than just seeking a better bottom line. $10/day is excessive and just unnecessary. Come on 'Space', be a leader rather than a follower.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
SpaceHotel1, Manager at Space Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Tony,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We especially appreciate constructive feedback from our return guests. Your review, as well as those from other guests, have been heard and we have now made changes to our internet structure and pricing. Each guest now receives 1 hour of Wi-Fi free on check in. Our 24 hour voucher has now been reduced to just $5 per day and our weekly down to $20. I sincerely hope that you and other future guests will appreciate our new affordable internet plans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Space was an awesome place to ease us into the backpackers life. Looking back now I would say this was up there in my favourite places to stay in Australia. For budget accommodation, this place was so clean and the atmosphere was fantastic. We made some life long friends here and got some awesome advice about backpacking. The rooftop gave you a fantastic view of the city it was a great place to meet other travellers with the same mindset. I have nothing bad to say about this place so if your looking for clean cheap and a good laugh space is the place for you!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Space-Melb, Public Relations Manager at Space Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Hi Rosie

Thank you for your kind words. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and can’t wait to serve you again in the future!!!!
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I've stayed at the Space Hotel 3 times in the last couple of years and think it's brilliant. I was disappointed to read the bad reviews on here, I think some people are a bit snobby and need to get over themselves. The rooms are great, the "shared facilities" aren't giant communal bathrooms, there are lots of individual bathrooms on each level that are completely private. Personally I really like the setup, and will continue to stay there every time I visit Melbourne. The prices are reasonable and the staff are very friendly. Highly recommended :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Space-Melb, Reception at Space Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. The staff love to hear our guests have enjoyed their time with us and the facilities we have available. We have a great team here and we certainly love what we do. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to them. We look forward to seeing you again.
The Space Hotel Crew.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I am a 55 yr old woman and mistakenly I ended up in a mixed dormitory. I found the whole place ran really well, very organised and well designed.
All the communal spaces where clean and cleaned regularly.
I was sharing with a whole lot of other blokes who were very quit and considerate. Varying in ages from 60's to 20's.
A great price too!
I do think that the heating could have been turned down a degree, saving you 30% on your bill and it would mean that we could sleep with a blanket rather than practically naked!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Space-Melb, Reception at Space Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Hi Dotti,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Space Hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and made use of our facilities while you were here. I will pass your feedback onto our housekeeping department, they work very hard to keep the cleanliness level to a high standard.
In regards to the room temperature, the heating and air conditioning is controlled by a thermostat in each room. If the room is either to hot or cold we have staff available 24 hours to assist you.
We hope to see you again.
The Space Hotel Crew
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I stay at Space Hotel for 8 nights and had very mixed feelings about the place. It is in a great location to walk right into the city. The kitchen was really nice and big. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. However, people tended to stick to themselves and be more quiet....maybe not the best for meeting people (however I was there during the off season or winter time). Internet was ridiculously over priced when you can walk 5 min to the library and get it for free. My biggest complaint was the unfriendly staff. There was only one man working there that was actually helpful and informative about Melbourne area. However I booked a shuttle bus back to the airport two days in advance with one of the staff members and they messed up on the booking and scheduled the wrong bus for the tickets I had already previously purchased. When I came down in the morning for my bus I saw a different bus company outside and double checked that I was on the star bus which they confirmed. However after 20 min of waiting my bus never showed up and the woman i booked it through finally spoke up and blamed me that I told her the wrong bus all along (which I am sure I told her the right bus as that is the one the hostel recommended to me). For ten min I sat there trying to ask them how we were going to solve this because this was not my mistake. The next bus would get me to the airport only 1 hour before my international flight and my only option was a taxi. I asked if they would refund my ticket to the bus or pay the taxi because this was not my mistake. Instead they just sat there looking at me in silence and not taking responsibility at all and actually blaming me for it. I asked to speak with their manager who wasnt there and they refused to get him on the phone so I could sort this out. I ended up having to pay a taxi $55 on top of the $30 bus tickets I had already purchased which is a good chunk of change for a backpacker on a budget.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Space-Melb, Public Relations Manager at Space Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us Jessica. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Melbourne and your stay with us. The internet prices in Melbourne are generally expensive, for the convenience of having internet at your place of stay, our prices are reasonable. We do our best to direct our customers to nearby convenient internet providers.

We thank you for allowing us to take this opportunity to apologise for the miscommunication with the shuttle bus as this will allow us to better enhance our service and of which we will give to future guests.
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My two friends and I stayed there few 6 nights and we all thought the location is very good, walking distance to anywhere in the city. The rooms are modern and clean with a spacious and fully equipped kitchen. There are a few tours which offer pick-ups from the hotel as well. They also arrange sky bus to the airport. I recommend this place for budget traveller who is looking for a budget and nice place to stay in!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
charlotte2571
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I stayed in a single room with a shared bathroom. Yes you can hear people all night. It is close to attractions and transport. Beds are comfortable. I would not stay again as its too noisy. Plus most of the gym equipment was broke when I was on my stay.

Room Tip: Get a double room with it's own bathroom.