“Ultra Modern Hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Space Hotel

You added Space Hotel to your Saves list
Space Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   380 Russell Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #16 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
San Francisco
“Ultra Modern Hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I stayed at the Space Hotel for 2 nights while visiting Melbourne. This place is trying to be a luxury hostel. It kind of looks like a hotel but functions like a hostel. It is in a great location right on the edge of the CBD. I had a single private room which was very clean and very modern looking. My room felt more like a hotel room than a hostel room. I had a TV and towels in my room. The common bath rooms are cleaned throughout the day. The shower does need a curtain because every time you go into the bathroom, the floor is always wet from people showering. Internet was $10 for 24 hours. but my password still worked for most of my stay. If you don't won't to stay in a true hostel but don't want to spend the money on an expensive hotel room in Melbourne, the Space Hotel is perfect.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Space-Melb, Public Relations Manager at Space Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you very much for providing feedback on your stay. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.The communal showers are used by a number of different guests. They are cleaned 5 times a day. Floor mats would not help in this situation as they would become useless after the first person showers. We are however open to further suggestions on how we could better manage the communal showers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We stayed in April 2014 for 3 nights. We booked a queen balcony room with private bathroom. We had city views, very clean room and was plenty of room for the 2 of us. Quiet. There is a bar downstairs and very good backpacker facilities if you wanted to cook your own food etc. As an older couple, we dined out at all the wonderful restaurants. The hotel is opposite the old jail and is one block from Lygon street and in the other direction, Chinatown. 2 Blocks from the shopping district. We walked back from Rod Laver Arena which took about 30 minutes but we were not in a hurry. Tram at the end of the block and major train/tram station not far. Check in/out was easy and they organised airport shuttle for us. Half the price of any hotel with a balcony. New and modern and very clean. We had plenty of fresh clean towels every day. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are great, good view of city and jail.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Space-Melb, Reception at Space Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Hi Janetleev,

Thanks you for choosing to stay with us Space Hotel. We are pleased to hear you had a great experience both with your stay with us and seeing Melbourne.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

This place was awful. Firstly I didn't realise I was booked into a mixed room and when I realised I was the only female in a mixed room, I checked my booking and nowhere did it state it was mixed. They wouldn't move me and they said there is no way they can keep a record of male or female guests. How do other hostels manage? Although they give you a piece of paper when you book in stating that noise would not be tolerated, they don't enforce it. There was football on throughout the night which didn't finish until 6am. It was impossible to sleep with the screaming and cheering that went on . According to reception you can't expect them to control human beings or the volume. On my third night I ended up with a psycho in the bunk above me. I know the hotel can't prepare for this but when a female turns up at reception at 4.30am because she is too scared to stay in her room you expect a little sympathy. They receptionist at 6am was very helpful and didn't charge me for the internet to search for somewhere else to stay but the receptionist at 10am when I said I was leaving and would appreciate talking to the manager for a refund , said "and what do you expect me to say to that?". Fortunately the other receptionist had already spoken to the manager and I got a partial refund before I left. My first visit to Australia and I never want to go back to Melbourne.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for the foodback. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Space and that your neighbours kept you up. Space Hotel has 24 hour reception and roving security guards on busy nights.
Beaudesert
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I decided to take a little trip down to Melbourne before uni resumed.. I wanted to stay somewhere that was cheap and easy to get to and from.

Man..Space Hotel was awesome, the facilities tick all the boxes for a backpacker wanting somewhere to stay, it is almost like a hotel. I think in terms of double rooms you would maybe be better off going to another hotel, but I stayed in a mixed 6 bedroom dorm. Apart from the guys snoring, the bed was awesome, air con was constant and I didn't feel cold or hot at all.

I think my favourite part about the hostel was the bathrooms! individual cubicles on their own- brilliant! I was so nervous about that whole situation.

Basically- stay here if you are trying to keep accom costs down and you don't want to totally slum in a dirty backpackers!

I'll be back :)

Room Tip: Have ear phones if you are like me and hate snorers ;)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Hi Kathryn,

Thank you for staying with us. It's great you enjoyed your time with us and appreciated the privacy offered in our communal bathrooms.

We look forward to seeing you again and Space Hotel being a part of your backpacking future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed at Space Hotel (6 bed female dormitory) for 3 nights. I am very happy to say that this hostel is very clean and and the staff are friendly and helpful. You have 2 power points and a bed light beside your bed. Kitchen is clean and spacious. Toilet and showers are ok. I didn't get the chance to.visit the jacuzzi and the movie theatre. The only problem I found is that my bed light isn't working and I did report it. They told me that the wiring needs to be fixed but they are happy to accommodate me to another room (since my room is full) but I like my roomies so I declined. Still, I recommend this.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hi Danielle,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Sorry to hear your bed light was not working, we do have maintenance staff on shift during the week and endeavor to resolve any issues promptly.

We hope to see you again, make sure to head up to the rooftop deck to enjoy the views and spa on your next visit.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

The room was way too small for two people - this was the room with a queen bed that felt like a double bed. Although the bathroom was decent and clean the carpet in the main room was filthy and there seemed to be a lingering smell in the room.

Early check in was not available which was very inconvenient as I had a convention to attend and had nowhere to go to get dressed. The lady who answered my call was very rude and not at all helpful.

I had some random knocking on my door at 2am and I was told that it had not happened by the man at the front desk. I got asked if I wanted to leave the safety of the room at 2AM to review the video footage.

As mentioned above, I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2014
Space-Melb, Reception at Space Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Hi Illerism,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us and departed early.

As outlined on our web page and booking sites our check in time is 14:00. If your room is available prior to this time we can check you in early. As we offer guests late check out at 12pm, we cannot always accommodate an early check in. It is for this reason we do not guarantee rooms before 14:00. In the instance guests arrive prior to 14:00 we do offer free baggage storage and access to all hotel facilities.

We have a very hardworking housekeeping team at Space hotel, they are available 24 hours a day. If you are not satisfied with the cleanliness of your room or the communal areas please advise reception so we can rectify the situation promptly.

For the safety of our guests, Space Hotel has CCTV located throughout the building.

Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed in a room ensuite with bathroom. Room was spaaacious...really....I think you can fit about 25-30 people standing inside. I have no complaints about the room or the bathroom either. Bathroom was also spacious. It's a pity I only stayed for 3days as they were fully booked the days after that and we had to move to another hotel. Staff was friendly, helpfull and I enjoyed my stay there. Eateries(all kinds asian & western) available after maybe 10-15 mins walk from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hi CLL10,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Space Hotel. We love to hear guests have enjoyed their stay with us. I will pass your feedback onto our lovely staff. We pride ourselves on the great team we have working here.

We hope you come to stay with us again.

The Space Hotel Crew

Been to Space Hotel? Share your experiences!