“it's ok” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Space Hotel

Save Saved
You added Space Hotel to your Saves list
Space Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   380 Russell Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #14 of 112 Specialty lodging in Melbourne
Darwin, Australia
“it's ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We booked a budget room (upgraded to twin bed) and stayed there for 4 nights. The room's clean and staffs are friendly, but we found that there's no bathroom in the room after we booked it online, and soon found that there're some very small words below said no cancellation accepted...the price is acceptable, but the same price we could stay in a room with in-built bathroom in Sydney

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Great hostel, great location and good price!
From someone who has stayed in many hostels all over the world, this one was definitely a stand out! They thought about everything when designing this place down to lockers that fit your entire suitcase, 4 power points per person and a design that means you dont wake up with another fellow bunk bedder staring at you.
Not to mention a good bar, movie room and rooftop :)
Highly recommend this hotel! Will definitely reccommend to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Bandung
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed for 9 nights in the hotel with my other friends. We booked for Family Five Room and the room was spacious. For budget hotel, I am recommended for others to stay in the hotel. They have good facilities (lounge, kitchen, movie room, internet cafe, and bar), good cleanliness, and good bed. In fact, the hotel is located in the city with 4 minutes to the nearest tram station. However, the lightning in the room is quite dim. It is advisable to add more lamps in the room.

Room Tip: Try not to choose the rooms which near toilets, it will disturb you.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I wanted so much to love this hotel - it was in a good location, with the clean and spacious Executive Queen room, toilet and comfortable bed. But the staff made a grave error on my last day at the hotel. I came back to my room in the evening to the horror of seeing my room door ajar. I remembered locking it before I left in the morning - I would always test the door to make sure it is locked before I leave. It may have been that housekeeping came in and carelessly left the room door unlocked once he/she left. While nothing was missing from my room, I wanted to make sure that no one else went inside apart from the housekeeper. I informed the staff at the front desk who said she would check the CCTV footage for me and give me a call back. Later, I insisted on seeing the CCTV footage myself there and then, but the staff said she and her colleague were busy with reservations (ps: there were no customers at the front desk anymore and I assumed they were referring to processing online reservations, which in my opinion, can wait if you need to assist a guest) and would call me in an hour's time. They also kept asking me if I was sure that I was not the one who left the door unlocked.

I did not receive any calls later that night. When I checked out early next morning, I followed up with the staff on duty at the front desk, who had no idea what was going on.

While my belongings were in tact, I felt that the hotel had made a serious hospitality error by leaving their guest's room unlocked. This effectively cancels out all their plus points and I will most certainly think twice to stay at their hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Had a great stay here, very clean, close to the city, friendly, helpful staff and not too rowdy for people who just wanted a good night's sleep. Would recommend this to anyone staying in Melbourne. Fantastic!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Finding a reasonably priced and nice hostel in Melbourne was challenging. Space hotel was a great option and I'm glad I stayed here (even though it takes some getting used to the cost of travelling in Australia). This was one of the cleanest hostels I have stayed in and if there were ensuite bathrooms I would probably say it is closer to a hotel.

We stayed in a double room, yes it was small but it has everything you need a a flatscreen TV for comfort! The only thing is that the windows don't open so you don't have any fresh air getting in, just AC. The room itself, and the hostel in general, is immaculately clean. Room included AC, TV, storage and towels. There are a number of bathrooms and showers on each floor as well.

As mentioned by many other reviewers, SPACE has a lot of facilities. There is a bar downstairs that usually have some drink/dinner offer on. There are lots of computers and wifi, although I have to agree with others that these are incredibly overpriced. We did not bother using internet here at all. They have laundry facilities, storage facilities, viewing deck, a modern kitchen, tea making facilities on each floor - I really think they provide a great service for travelers. I also found the staff to be very helpful in suggesting what to do in Melbourne and providing me with information on the area. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was looking for a last minute option for a hotel in North Melbourne and this was by far the cheapest per night. It wasn't super cheap at $150 per night for a room with a shared bathroom but nothing in CBDs ever is in Australia. Having said that the staff were really friendly, the room was very clean and the bed really comfortable.

I would recommend it and the location is great - really near Chinatown and Carlton as well as the CBD.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Space Hotel? Share your experiences!